MCAT without bio II lab/ organic II lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reallyhopeso11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello network,

I'm a new member. I'm a fifth year college student (I majored in Business and Creative Writing before deciding fourth year I wanted to pursue a career in medicine). I'm planning on taking the MCAT (ideally beginning of summer as I know it's rolling admission). Last year I took all the general chems, bios and last summer I took physics I, this fall semester I am taking organic I, physics II, while 3 business courses (graduating with degrees in business and creative writing almost done anyways). I plan on doing a prep course in the spring for the MCAT but I'll be taking human biochem and organic II as well 2 business classes and an english course. I was going to take bio II lab and organic II lab in the summer but again I want to take the mcat as soon as possible as its a rolling admissions basis. Is this suicide? How much is the lab section of organic II and bio II on the exam (I've taken the courses but not the lab). My GPAs pretty good at moment science 4.0 and cGPA 3.9 (hopefully holds...) . Am I at a huge disadvantage? Will this be covered in the prep course? Human biochem is a prereq but only offered in the fall and spring which is why I got instructor permission to take as coreq with organic II (advisor originally said this was ok - apparently organic II is a prereq). I COULD take this course in the fall and organic II lab in spring but then I'd have to pay rent for 4 additional months in off-year instead of shacking at parents and saving on loans..... sorry if rambling message. Late night stressed post. Basic premise - how much is organic II lab and bio II lab incorporated on MCAT? And who do you recommend for prep course? Thank you for navigating through the jumble it is very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, Bio II lab would not help you in any shape or form for the MCAT really. At least I don't feel like mine did. Organic lab is covered, and the material is important for you to know. That said, I don't think the material is difficult to learn whatsoever. I think you would be able to teach it to yourself without a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hadn't taken either before I took my MCAT, and I made a 36. You'll be fine.

make sure you study separation techniques from orgo lab - that's all the "lab only" material i remember being in my MCAT books

make sure you study separation techniques from orgo lab - that's all the "lab only" material i remember being in my MCAT books

very true, know the separation techniques, but also be aware of some other lab situations that may be questioned, but you should be able to answer them from knowledge of chem or physics such as broadening of melting point ranges of compounds with impurities and such (this was asked on one or two of the AAMC FL's). Understand IR, NMR, mass spec, gas chromatography, etc. but those are also covered in the orgo classes before lab, but I felt lab clarified those and would make passages that involve a lab experiment with multiple components and graphs easier to understand; however I took orgo lab 3 years ago and it didn't seem to be a factor in how I performed or felt during the MCAT.

You should be fine. Read the section on ochem thoroughly in whatever prep book you're using. Try to plan on taking the MCAT earlier than the beginning of next summer- March-May is probably ideal.