MCAT without Orgo2???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ockhamsRzr

in media res
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with a new course schedule that would save me a year--allowing me to apply summer of 06 versus summer of 07. The trick however is that I would be MCAT'ing August of 06 having completed all pre-reqs EXCEPT Orgo2.

What is the conventional wisdom about MCAT'ing without Orgo2?

Thanks in advance,

ockhamsRzr

Members don't see this ad.

ockhamsRzr said:
I've been toying with a new course schedule that would save me a year--allowing me to apply summer of 06 versus summer of 07. The trick however is that I would be MCAT'ing August of 06 having completed all pre-reqs EXCEPT Orgo2.

Thanks in advance,

ockhamsRzr

Well I don't know all the particulars but I went through that (took MCAT in April 05, taking Orgo II starting next week.) and I can tell you what I was told. First off the amount of orgo on the bio section is realitively small, 1/4 to 1/3 of that section. I was also told, and it was largely my experience, that the Orgo section tends to slant toward Orgo I more than Orgo IIf.(Sn1 and Sn2, chirality, etc.) I know there was some stuff that was Orgo II but I don't think it hurt me much.

Basically I found if you got the concepts and did well in Orgo I (both true of me) you should be able to do fine on that portion of the test.

Of course your mile may vary :)

if you are taking an mcat prep course, they will probably go over what you need to know from orgo2 (or at least have sufficient information about the material in their prep books, that you can study yourself). it's not difficult if you already know the basics from the first portion

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Im in the same situation so i called the MCAT people. They told me they do not test on O chem 2 information as there are schools which do not require organic chem 2 or take biochem 1 instead of organic chem 2. (Midwestern in AZ is an example).

Hope thats heplful

Sweet...thanks for the replies! Basically I was going to roll the dice anyway, but it's much nicer knowing that I should be fine with a review course and a good understanding of Orgo1.

Cheers,

ockham

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hi

Im in the same situation so i called the MCAT people. They told me they do not test on O chem 2 information as there are schools which do not require organic chem 2 or take biochem 1 instead of organic chem 2. (Midwestern in AZ is an example).

Hope thats heplful

ockhamsRzr said:

Thanks in advance,

ockhamsRzr

You should know Diels-Alder and the whole ortho-meta-para thing... and maybe one or two other things, but the little orgo there is on the MCAT is mainly Orgo 1.