elliejellybean

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2015
Augusta, Georgia
Status
Medical Student
ive been lurking on SDN since like 2011 and I remember there was someone who increased their MCAT by like 10 points (to like a 40) in 2 months. I think it was the mayo method or something anyone know what I'm talking about? My friend got his scores back recently and is retaking his MCAT in a few weeks and I thought it would be helpful if even if couldnt do it for 2 whole months.

OP
elliejellybean

elliejellybean

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2015
Augusta, Georgia
Status
Medical Student
ive been lurking on SDN since like 2011 and I remember there was someone who increased their MCAT by like 10 points (to like a 40) in 2 months. I think it was the mayo method or something anyone know what I'm talking about? My friend got his scores back recently and is retaking his MCAT in a few weeks and I thought it would be helpful if even if couldnt do it for 2 whole months.
Found it. Spinach method was pretty darn close. Here's the link for anyone else who may need it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-raised-my-mcat-score-by-10-points-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
lol @ recalling the spinach method into the mayo method

Reactions: DrChef94

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
The clickbait title for that thread always irked me. Really, it's "Turns out a person capable of a 100th percentile score might start out with only an 80th percentile score on a very outdated practice test that they haven't studied for at all"

well yeah, no kidding, you have to study and practice to hit your potential. Not really the same thing as studying, scoring ~30, and then changing study habits or using some method to drastically improve. So if your friend's unsatisfactory score was after he studied/prepared, don't expect a miraculous improvement.

FutureOncologist

I support cancer... research
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
well yeah, no kidding, you have to study and practice to hit your potential. Not really the same thing as studying, scoring ~30, and then changing study habits or using some method to drastically improve. So if your friend's unsatisfactory score was after he studied/prepared, don't expect a miraculous improvement.
To be fair, I made a 28 by "studying and preparing." Most people in that situation, like me, thought the MCAT just took reading all of the books, take a few practice questions, and maybe take a few FL's. Also, I crammed the last 3 weeks before my first test. The 2nd time I devoted at least 75% of my free time while taking 12 credit hours (no labs) and made a 36.

But I do agree that, if you work your ass off and still make a subpar score, I'd reconsider going to med school. People think the MCAT is the last national test you have to take; once you're in, you're in. Which is completely untrue... it never ends.

OP
elliejellybean

elliejellybean

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2015
Augusta, Georgia
Status
Medical Student
To be fair, I made a 28 by "studying and preparing." Most people in that situation, like me, thought the MCAT just took reading all of the books, take a few practice questions, and maybe take a few FL's. Also, I crammed the last 3 weeks before my first test. The 2nd time I devoted at least 75% of my free time while taking 12 credit hours (no labs) and made a 36.

But I do agree that, if you work your ass off and still make a subpar score, I'd reconsider going to med school. People think the MCAT is the last national test you have to take; once you're in, you're in. Which is completely untrue... it never ends.
Damn great job. My best friend is a white male and made a 499 so he's gotta do a lot better to secure a spot, I'll be sure to pass the message along

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If he wants to do well you should have him read that 509+ study habits thread over in the MCAT sub. Great collection of advise there.