MCATs less than 25 and interviews--post 'em!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nochaser

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen enough posts about people getting into med school with low MCATs, and as the president of the Low MCAT Scorers Club, I would like to start a new list for those of you that have scores less than 25 and have gotten interviews or accepted (!), still waiting, etc. this cycle. Please post the schools. It's up to you to post your actual scores, if you had a prep course, stats, URM status, etc. Please refrain from posting flames.
I'll start:

UIC--secondary, still under review
Loyola--nothing
Rush--secondary, still under review
Northwestern--secondary, still under review
University of Chicago--will not turn in secondary
Finch--have not turned in secondary yet
SIU--rejected w/o secondary, processed AMCAS, or MCATs (Location bias)

MCAT VR9 PS6 BS7 WSM (no prep course, 1st timer)
AMCAS GPA: 3.4 overall, 3.2 sci
URM--black

Members don't see this ad.

This is a helpful thread. I am applying for the first time this year. I scored a 22. If it weren't for the other parts of my application, i would have watied another year before applying. The MCAT is the only thing that will prevent me from getting an interview. I have applied to 16 schools and have recieved a secondary from all of them! That makes me hopeful even though it may not mean anything. I am not a URM. I would be thrilled just to get one interview.

24 MCAT

4/01 9 VS, 8 PS, 7 BS, WS P (24)
8/01 7 VS, 9 PS, 8 BS, WS N (24)

Interview at UT-Houston and U. of Nebraska

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really great idea...

So okay, I am a URM and applied 2 years ago with GPA 2.9 Cum and 2.8 Science, MCAT 7V,9PS,7BS,QW and got two interviews...UIC and Howard. Both of which I ended up hearing nothing from...I was waitlisted at UIC and just heard nothing from Howard...

Then I enrolled in a post-bac program and now my GPA is Cum - 3.0 and Grad 3.6 and Sciences 3.0, new MCAT scores- 6V,8Ps,10BS,NW and here are the interviews that I have...

Boston
SUNY Downstate
University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Chicago

I also applied to 2 DO schools and had one interview so far and the other one coming up this week.

So those are my stats...I applied to about a million other schools and have yet to hear from them.

nypostbac--

How impressive! Keep us posted on your interviews and acceptances!

I will - let me know when your stuff starts to come in...like you I have yet to hear from Northwestern and Loyola...I would love to return to Chicago (I went to Northwestern undergrad)... We shall see what happens... :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but except for a very select number of schools (mainly UCs and schools that accept no out of state people), primaries aren't really being screened this year. So secondaries aren't really an indicator for future success.

Hey nypostbac. What program did you do? I'm doing a postbac program as well. That's great to get an interview from University of Chicago.. How was the interview? ••

Thanks... I am doing a program at MCP-Hahnemann. As for the UofC interview, I have not gone yet...it's in January.

nochaser, you and I seem to be in the same boat...
V4-P8-B9 (don't ask!)
3.53 GPA
I have tons of research, leadership (RA) and volunteer experiences
URM
My file is complete at these schools and I have yet to hear from them:
UIC
Rush
Finch
Temple
Iowa
Howard

SIU-Rejected
Loyola-Heard nothing
Northwestern-didn't waste my time with their secondary

i'm praying for just one interview so i can go in there and kick some butt, hehe
good luck everyone!
-star

btw, i also applied to PCOM and CCOM...i visited PCOM and loved it. Hopfully I will hear from these schools soon, i'm going crazy!

I think this thread is a great idea, but we should add maybe less than 27 to get more posters...

I'll keep y'all notified if I get more interviews or any updated info. I've been rejected from six schools (all of which I had no chance at to start of with).

Glad I can be such an inspiration to some.

Just got an email from GW inviting me for an interview - unfortunately all the days they had available were days I had exams!!! So I had to just go with Feb. 19 - then the lady says to me, "Oh you know we are on rolling admissions!", I KNOW THAT IS WHY I AM TRYING TO REARRANGE MY SCHEDULE TO FIT YOURS!!! Unbelievable!!
:mad: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
sng33
I think this thread is a great idea, but we should add maybe less than 27 to get more posters...
••

If this helps, I had a 27 (7V, 9BS, 11PS, Q)
3.5 cum GPA
URM
lots of leadership activities, clinical experience, and some research experience

Interviews at:
University of Pittsburgh
Mayo
Indiana University
Case Western
University of Michigan

24 MCAT: 4/01- 9V,8B,7P
8/01- 8V,9B,7P
I got interviews at Morehouse and ECU, and was alternative listed at Morehouse. I am a URM, plus a female. Please let me get in somewhere.

Just heard from SUNY Stonybrook inviting me for an interview in January!!! All of a sudden it is all coming in...I am really excited. :D :D

Hi,
May I ask what are "URM" and "SDA" (saw this term at the post about Loma Linda U)? Thanks!

Originally posted by Nikki:

If this helps, I had a 27 (7V, 9BS, 11PS, Q)
3.5 cum GPA
URM
lots of leadership activities, clinical experience, and some research experience

Interviews at:
University of Pittsburgh
Mayo
Indiana University
Case Western
University of Michigan•••

Congrats on your acceptance to Mayo, Dr. Nikki. Is this your first choice?

I actually fell in love with U of Michigan when I interviewed there. However, a full tuition scholarship from Mayo is tempting me. We'll see . . .

Hey Nikki, Congrats on Mayo - you should be really, really proud.

Just out of curiousity, when did you interview at Pitt?

Originally posted by lilic:
•Congrats on your acceptance to Mayo, Dr. Nikki. •••

She said she interviewed there, not that she was accepted. But still, it's quite an honor to get an on-site interview there. They only phone interview about 15% of those who submit the fee, and then invite 20% of that 15% for on-site interviews!

Nikki, that's quite a list of interviews!! Congrats!!! :D :D

Nikki wrote (something to the effect) a full tuition scholarship to Mayo is tempting me... she implied acceptance.

Way to go!!

Nikki,

Can I know where you graduated from? I am an undergrad at the University of Michigan. I have MCAT of 27 and am applying next year. Would really like to get into UMich. What do you think makes you stand out from other applicants?

Congratulations on Mayo!!

Thanks.

The first time I took the MCAT I got three 6's V=6 B=6 C=6 W=R. The second time I increased only to a 22 V=8 B=7 C=7 W=R. My overall GPA is 3.38. However, I applied early decision to the Medical College of Georgia and I was accepted. I worked hard to during the application process and it paid off. I am blessed.

Originally posted by sannyasa:
•The first time I took the MCAT I got three 6's V=6 B=6 C=6 W=R. The second time I increased only to a 22 V=8 B=7 C=7 W=R. My overall GPA is 3.38. However, I applied early decision to the Medical College of Georgia and I was accepted. I worked hard to during the application process and it paid off. I am blessed.•••

666, that's really eerie. Congratulations on your accpetance.

Hi sannyasa,
Congraduations for your acceptance!
Could you describe your work except acdemic things? Like research, leadership, volunteer, and .... etc. Thanks.

Congrats to Nikki and Sun for their acceptances!!! Keep them coming! :D

My advice to anyone who wants to raise their MCAT score is to take one of the prep courses. I heard that they are expensive but that they really improve your scores. Also you may want to relocate to a state where the avgerage MCAT scores for the schools are lower.

hey wazz up, MCAT scores 26 (V6 P10 B10 writing P), already got rejected by UCSF and georgetown. but the other 20 schools that I applied to sent me a secondary. I'm not really joyful about those secondaries thought (except stanford and UCLA-DREW), because this year almost every school sends secondaries without screening primaries. has anyone with similar scores already received interviews? I'm a URM and SDA. Should I retake the MCAT?, that verbal section caught me off guard and it shows!!!!
DON

Retaking wouldn't be a bad idea if you're positive you can raise your scores. Retaking and doing worse than before looks kinda bad. I'd wait, though, to see what kind of reactions you get from the other 20 schools.

my mcat is not 25, but close enough. I am not URM (white but foreign female), have decent GPA and only one interview so far (UCSF). I applied to alot of schools (58) and have 4-5 rejections so far, but made it to the secondary stage at most schools, including Stanford and UCLA. However, I got pre-secondary rejections at 'lower-tier' schools like EVMS and Wake and some state schools. If I get in UCSF, I am withdrawing from everywhere, including stanford. I want to go there real badly!!!!!!!!!

hey lady in red when did you send your UC supplemental for UCLA? my uc supp was received by them on august 28th, and I still haven't received anything from them! I don't know what's going on?

I am very interested in this topic. Just wanted to bump it up. Those with interviews and MCATs less than 25, keep the posts coming.

When I interviewed at Albany, I was given a profile sheet of their students. One of their current freshmen has a verbal score of 3!!!

Just a nugget of hope for all on this thread.

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•When I interviewed at Albany, I was given a profile sheet of their students. One of their current freshmen has a verbal score of 3!!!

Just a nugget of hope for all on this thread.•••

There's got to be something more to that. A 3? You can probably get that by randomly bubbling in answers.

Hey Lady in Red:
58 schools!?! How did you have time to do all those secondaries? More important, how did you have money? Good luck though...

I am very interested in this topic. Just wanted to bump it up. Those with interviews and MCATs less than 25, keep the posts coming.

I found out that I got into both PCOM and NYCOM! I am really happy...come on allopathic schools! I don't think that I will hear from Boston until Feb. Oh well, Happy Holidays everyone!!

hey guys, that 3 at Albany was probably just because the guy misbubbled everyquestion (ie. skipped number 8 on verbal, but filled answer to 9 on 8 bubble (scantron), and so on and so on. the poor bastard probably realized it right before he had to hand in the scantron and freaked out...sucks. because getting a 3 is pretty impossible if you try at all. i'm willing to bet the guy had 11's on his other sections (maybe that's how albany's attention was captured, and they gave him a chance to explain). that's the way i see it...just one person's point of view though.

Well, i did not have enough money for applications; i did get fee waivers from AMCAS and all schools that i got secondaries from. I bascially worked my ass off during the summer and this was one of the reasons i bombed the MCAT (i did not study enough). UCSF told us that if you get interview there, you'll get in somewhere, but, i am going to retake anyways. I studied on my own, but i think a prep course would help greatly; so i'm taking TPR starting in January. I sent UC secondary 8/30

hey guys -

here are my stats -

princeton rev. course

04/01 PS8 VR8 BS8 WS-R
08/01 PS7 VR8 BS8 WS-R (yes, i went down)

GPA - 3.82 overall

17 schools applied to, 17 secondaries
one interview - state school
all other apps are in review

hope this helps! ;) :( :( :(

FYI
8V
9B
7P
O

got interviews at mcp hahnaman, usc, indiana u, finch, new york med, howard u, u of illinois, georgetown and case.

accepted at 3

good luck all!

Originally posted by Zummy:
•FYI
8V
9B
7P
O

got interviews at mcp hahnaman, usc, indiana u, finch, new york med, howard u, u of illinois, georgetown and case.

accepted at 3

good luck all!•••

Congrats Zummy!

When did you get the University of Southern California interview and when was your file complete?

Thanks,