MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike157

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a junior in college right now and I have a 3.65 gpa. I've worked in ems for 5 years and worked for a doctor for 2 years. I know a DO alumni from NYCOM who is going to write me a letter of recommendation. The thing I'm worried about the damn MCAT. I took a diagnostic test and only got a 17. I didn't really study for it before hand. Am I in a lot of trouble? How likely is it that I will be able to pull that up to a competitive score?

Members don't see this ad.

that is a question you have to ask yourself.

Studying and most of all practicing will make a huge difference, in my opinion. I personally recommend the Princeton Review b/c they really show you how to take the test and they have a ton of practice materials. One of the most imp. things you can do is get practice materials and do them with a timer. I took the review, b/c it's harder to get a hold of many tests if you study on your own.

Look...do you want to be a doctor? If the answer really is yes, you will do what you need to do to get there. What you need most of all is not inherent test-taking skills, but some serious persistence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would worry, but only unless you are not taking taking some kind of prep course (like Kaplan or the PR). My Kaplan teacher got a 14 (yes a 14!!!!!!!!!) on his first MCAT diag. He showed me his score report for both his diag. and his final MCAT which was a 34!

heh Im hoping for that kind of improvement myself. I took some diag that they offered free at my school and got a 10. I got a 1 on the biological science. I signed up for kapalm and that first diag to evaluate ourselves I got an 18 and pulled myself up to a 6 in biological sciences. 18 overall. studying my butt off now to try and double my score.

its now the beginning of febuary and if you are working hard at it I dont see why your score wont go up. Plus the difference between a 17 and a 25 can be as little as 7 more questions answered right considering the way the mcat is scored.

In the end and like most people, hard work will help that score go up higher. I take one of my kaplan books with me all the time so if I have any spare time to read, I read that.

ps : from what I know of friends that have taken the mcat. Most scored in the 16-20 range on their diag and ended up getting anywhere between a 29 to 36 on the mcat. The ball is in your court of whether you want to get the score or not.

The first practice MCAT I ever took was one of the AMCAS tests and I got a 16. I took the actual MCAT 3 months later and scored a 26. Retook it a second time and got a 27. So it's definately possible to improve. It's all up to you and how bad you want it. All is possible!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

I went from a first-time diag score of 12 (5-4-3), to a final diag of 27 (10-9-8) in 3 months.

Princeton Review saved my ass.