MCCEE, USMLE or PLAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wingo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
This is my first time here, seems like a nice place
I am a recently graduated Iraqi doctor
I have just passed the IELTS exam (Language exam) with good results and now I am getting ready to start my residency program and studying for one of the evaluation exams so that I can study abroad
I can go very easily for the PLAB, but
the problem is that I don't know WHERE to go !
I have been to Canada once as a summer student and I liked it there a lot, so I was hoping to complete my graduate studies there and, possibly, settle .
but I don't know what to do and what to choose, should I go for the MCCEE or the USMLE ?! or should I prepare for both ?!
and the other thing is that my dad who is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England is encouraging me to go to the UK, which means studying for the PLAB !!
I feel lost, what should I do!?
which is the right place to go, specially if I want to be a surgeon ?!?
I would really appreciate it if you help me with your advices

Members don't see this ad.

Since this forum is dedicated to US Allopathic medical schools, I shall move it to the General Discussion for Internationals where I think it will be a better fit and you might find some answers.

As to where you should go, it depends on where you want to practice after you finish training. If you wish to be a surgeon in the US, then you should go the ECFMG certification route and try to get a residency position here. If you prefer the UK, then the PLAB is the way to go. You cannot train in the UK and expect to easily work in the US as a physician, and vice versa. I think you may find it extremely difficult to secure a training position in Canada; even their own citizens cannot find residency positions if they have been trained abroad.

GO FOR USMLE AND USA. USA is the most friendly place for IMG, although I am not sure how things turned after war with Iraq. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Visa problems.

Greencard issues.

Iraqi doctor.

There's a lot to think about before making a committment to coming to the U.S. right now. You may have State Department issues that none of us here would be even remotely able to discuss let alone speculate on.

Good luck, wherever you go.

-Skip

Wow. I am actually shocked that international members of this board are being this closed-minded. The OP is just trying to "make it" like everyone else here is. The fact that he/she's Iraqi makes no difference. Being Iraqi doesn't mean being Al Qaeda or whatever. I'm actually really surprised that "educated" members of this community are so swayed by media, mass hysteria, etc.

Wingo, we can't answer this question for you. No one place is easier to get in for surgery than another, I'd say. It really depends on where you can see yourself settling down and practicing. I know some Canadian students where I'm studying who take all three, or take both the MCEEE and PLAB. That would be a really tough order...but it's been done.

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks and advices !
I am shocked to see some of the replies here, just because I am an Iraqi, for God sakes :O
anyway,just for your knowledge, NONE of AlQaeda members were proved to be Iraqis !
and please remember that many of todays leading scientists are Iraqis, all around the world !
Just because my country is suffering does not mean that I am Evil or that I am a bad doctor!
Thank you anyway

Wingo said:
Hi everyone
I have just passed the IELTS exam (Language exam) with good results and now I am getting ready to start my residency program and studying for one of the evaluation exams so that I can study abroad
I have been to Canada once as a summer student and I liked it there a lot, so I was hoping to complete my graduate studies there and, possibly, settle .
but I don't know what to do and what to choose, should I go for the MCCEE or the USMLE ?! or should I prepare for both ?!
and the other thing is that my dad who is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England is encouraging me to go to the UK, which means studying for the PLAB !!

While you could go to the US, it is very difficult to get a Green Card to actually stay in the US after training, assuming you wanted to. Plus, lifestyle there dictates working to live.

The UK is good, and the pound is very very strong.

It would probably be easier for you to go to the UK, although the US pay much more for highly qualified people when finished residency it's difficult to get a way to stay there to get that standard of practice/living. Weather is better than UK though. You might find that doing the PLAB whihc should be no problem to you and look at bmjcareers.com for surgery posts you could get a job in the morning!

Hi I am 6th year student,college of medicine, University of Baghdad, I have read your inquiry, and I would like to tell you that UK is not a good choice,beacause it is supersaturated with doctors, my friend passed plab 6 months ago, and still waiting to get a job as a house officer,and I have read that the chances of overseas doctors to get a consultant post in the future is very difficult except in the speciality of anesthesia and psychiatry,
i.e. you may get a post of registrar and thats it.
Chances are better in getting jobs in canada and much better in the U.S
please write to me on my e mail address so we can share experience.

OK.
At present it is harder to get into the US as a foreigner, this applies not just to working in medicine but in academia and a range of fields. This is due as much to tighter visa control among other thigns and whether or not you agreee with it I suspect coming from Iraq might not be regarded as a positive by the person from State processing you application.
The UK is not 'supersatuarated' with doctors because they are currently trying to implement the European Working Time Directive and as such need many more doctors than they have. that said, foreigners from any country are always more likely to get the less desireable areas and the GMC do state that getting a house officer's position is difficult and they therefore recommend going to the UK after completing internship in your home country... The PLAB is a long process with the Step 2 PLAB not being held that often.
As for jobs being easier to get in Caada, I assume we're both talking about the nation to the north of the US- the one that often only has a few hundered spots for all foreign trained doctors to enter into training programs in Canada- including for Canadian citizens who happend to train overseas... That said, getting a visa for Canada is much easier.

Hope this helps.

Here's why..

Just go through this..

This is a post from another forum, but its quite on the mark.

"It is a fact that of all the IMG's that come to Canada, 90-95% will not obtain a residency. The few that do, do so, after either years and years of trying, or, because they know people in high places who 'pull strings' for them.

Just visit www.carms.ca and see how few IMG's get a residency in Canadian match every year. There are currently 12,000 (twelve thousand) IMG's in Canada, actively seeking a residency position. In Ontario alone, there are currently over 4000 (four thousand) foreign doctors with no job and no residency.

Then you have all this talk about being able to get a residency in Canada 'outside the match'. Where? How? Don't just hear that and think that your set, you must have facts! The only ones that will be able to take advantage of this are those with some serious 'inside' connections. Their rumors, and hearsay are bogus, and we all know it. I definitely won't plan out my medical career based on the 'doors will open up' theory. Because quite frankly in Canada they never will, definitely not for graduates of foreign medical schools.

Across Canada there are thousands and thousands of desperate foreign trained doctors. Some of them are outright Canadian Citizens! Of those several thousand, only around 700 - 800 are able to pass the Canadian board exams that make them eligible to apply for a residency in Canada.

Of those 700 - 800 that fullfill all these requirements needed just to apply, only 10% will obtain a residency position (it has varied between 4% and 16% over the past 10 years). Also, those residency positions are the left over ones, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted.

Verification: www.carms.ca/stats/stats_index.htm

www.carms.ca/stats/stats2004.htm

In the Canadian Residency Match, 93% of all residency positions in Canada are filled by graduates of Canadian medical schools. The only residencies available to IMG's are those left over 2 year rural Family Practice spots, that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted. In Canada, Family Practice is only a 2 year program, in the United States it is a 3 year program. So in Canada you are getting basically 2/3 of the educational time you would compared to the U.S. Also, many of those left over FP spots in the second iteration are rural spots, so if you did get one, your opportunity to learn is very limited, because of the small patient population.

It amazes me that highly qualified foreign medical graduates, allow the Canadian medical system to degrade and humiliate them like this. IMG’s, have some pride! Do not let CaRMS, MCC, OIMGP and other Canadian medical organizations rip you off of your hard earned dollars. Because in the end, in Canada, you will have lost a lot of years and money and will have nothing to show for it, except your used airplane ticket.

Basically, after getting your M.D. from a foreign medical school you would have to:

1) Pass the MCCEE
2) Pass the required English tests (TOEFL, TSE)
3) Apply to the Ontario IMG program Clerkship (which is NOT residency by the way, it is just one year of pre-residency training. It is an UNPAID position. Actually you have to pay $2000 to be in this program)
4) There are hundreds and hundreds of applicants for the 50 spots that the Ontario IMG program offers, so they narrow it down with two tests
5) First test: IMG exam, from which the top 200 are selected
6) Second test: OSCE exam, from which the final 50 are selected, for this PRE-residency UNPAID program.
(the above application process is about a year long, so one year lost)
7) If selected, you must complete this one year, pre-residency, unpaid program
(a second year lost, as this is essentially another year with no job)
8) After all this is completed successfully, then you are eligible to APPLY for a residency in Ontario.
(so in total, you lose two years of your life, trying to become eligible to apply for a residency in Ontario)

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS PROCESS.

9) In Ontario you cannot enter the first or second round of the Canadian CARMS residency match, you have to wait until after the second round. And after the second round there is nothing left. Keep in mind that there are 4000 (four thousand) IMG's in Ontario and 12,000 (twelve thousand) IMG's across Canada, who are actively seeking a residency position or employment as a physician in Canada. There are several thousands more IMG's who are in Canada but have long given up on this process.

Reality my dear friends. Reality.

The Practice Ready and PGY-2 positions are only for those IMG's who have completed a residency or at least some post graduate training in their home country. So this is not an option for Canadians who have gone abroad for their MD degrees.
As for the PGY-1 Family Practice positions -> Family Practice in Canada is a only a 2 year program. As a result, you don't really learn anything. These positions are basically the scraps that the Canadian government throws (like left over meat to stray dogs) to desperate IMG's in the country. Worthless.

The only thing available to IMG's outside of Ontario (other Canadian provinces) is some other worthless, left over, two year rural family practice spot that NO Canadian medical graduate wanted, not to mention that it will be in some boony town where it is -30 (minus thirty) degrees celcius everyday with a non-diverse population, up north (eg goose bay, labrador, or north battleford, saskatchewan).

Will you honestly be happy with this?

The Doctor shortage in Canada.

By now I am sure all of you have heard about this. But don't get too excited. Yes there is a doctor shortage in Canada. But the way Canada is solving that doctor shortage is by increasing the number of spots at Canadian medical schools. Every medical school across Canada has increased enrollment.

In addition Canada has decided to open up a new medical school in Northern Ontario which will produce a new batch of Canadian medical graduates (Canadian MD’s) that will be used to solve the doctor shortage.

New Northern Ontario Medical School: www.normed.ca

Think about it! There are 12,000 (twelve thousand) foreign trained doctors across Canada with no job and no residency, 4000 (four thousand) of them are in Ontario. They have passed the Canadian exams (MCCEE, MCCQE), they are ready to work now! . . . AND there is a doctor shortage. Why doesn't Canada provide opportunities for them? Why all this effort and money into this new Canadian medical school?

Because the bottom line is that despite a doctor shortage, Canada will never provide jobs to graduates of foreign medical schools, even if you are a Canadian citizen. Canada only wants graduates of Canadian medical schools.

Canada has ruined the lives of thousands of foreign doctors for the past twenty years.

When I was younger, I always wondered why foreign doctors immigrated to Canada, when it is a world wide known fact that Canada is career suicide for them. Well the reason is as follows: Canadian Embassies around the world lie to foreign doctors.

These embassies tell them “Oh yes, come to Canada, we need doctors!”. So these foreign doctors, pack up, and immigrate with their families (spouse, children) to Canada. They have to bring with them at least $10,000 and pay an additional $1500 to land in Canada. Canada has an immigration quota of 250,000 per year. So please do the math, 250,000 multiplied by $10,000 each equals a whopping 2.5 Billion dollars that Canada gains from immigrants every year.

However, after they arrive, Canada shuts the door in their face and tells them that their foreign credentials are not ‘good enough’ and that they need to pass a series of expensive tests and do additional unpaid training. Shame on those Canadian embassies!

This forces the foreign doctors to get minimum wage jobs like factory work, driving taxi cabs or delivering pizzas, and to try whatever they can to support themselves and their families. They have passed the Canadian exams (MCCEE, MCCQE), applied for residency positions with CaRMS year after year, yet the end result is nothing. This is the tragedy associated with immigration to Canada.

If there are virtually no opportunities for foreign medical graduates in Canada, then why don't foreign doctors, who have come to Canada, take the USMLE's and apply for residency in the United States?

Great question. The reasons are as follows:

Not every IMG can go to United States. They have families and can't relocate their children for residency time and then move somewhere else.

Their spouse often doesn't want to move to U.S., this is especially a problem for ethnic women who have married a man who is living in Canada and does not want to move or compromise for his wife.

Many IMG's are rejected by the U.S. embassy in Canada, to go to the U.S. to take the CSA and USMLE Step 3. So they have no other choice but to stay in Canada and take those useless Canadian medical licensing exams.

A lot of IMG's, are scared of USMLE Step 1. Because that exam is based on the first two years of medical school, and most IMG's have long forgotten those subjects.

Other reasons include insecurity, lack of self confidence, refusal to face reality, being very stubborn, unwilling to accept accurate advice, and lack of knowledge about the fact that there are virtually no opportunitites in Canada for foreign medical graduates.

You would be surprised at how many foreign doctors that have come to Canada have beed lied to and deceived by the Canadian embassies and the Canadian medical organizations. "

Wingo said:
Hi everyone

If you can, take the Mle's, be Ecfmg certified and come down to US.

Its the best place for medical training.

UK is better than Canada as far as your future prospects are concerned, but they dont even come close to US.

stalvl said:
I would not trust iraque doc anyway :scared:

Thats a ridiculous thing to say to anyone.I hope u did not mean it. :(

Ouch!

Where did that come from?

Also its "Iraq" & not "Iraque".

Later..

stalvl said:

stalvl said:

I found this place as very nice one.
People solving one another's problem, really good!

But concerning the above post,i am afraid (seriously),
coz i felt people here judge others by the country
which they belong, which is bad somehow, is not it?