MCCQE part II-may, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jose martinez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international medical student from paraguay, and will be taking the part ii in May, probably in Montreal, where i live. i am looking for medical students or IMG who will be studying for this exam, in order to create a study group, or at least get together to practice the essentials. please feel free to email me @ [email protected]
thanks, and see you soon!!!!
jose

Members don't see this ad.

Do not worry about this exam. It is the kind of exam that is designed for everybody, i.e. not very specific. This was designed at start for 4th year med students. These days, you need 1 year of residency (or two in Québec) in order to register to this exam. However, even psych residents do and pass this exam.

Indeed, it is less boring to have people to study with. There is not a specific book or reference to study. Use your common sense to answer.

Good luck.

When i wrote the exam 4 years ago about 50% of the questions were repeated from previous years exams. The best way to prepare is to get copies of old exams and go thru the questions.

I graduated from a Canadian school a year ago and went straight into a pathology residency in the States, no internship year.

I would have taken Part II asap since it most people say I can pass it with just Canadian med school training, but as you know Part II requires 12 months of postgrad training before you're even eligible. I've been doing hemepath, clinical chemistry and bloodbanking since I started residency in July.

I recently passed my final USMLE Step. And yes, I passed Step 2 Clinical Skills (the CSA to some of you).

Talked to some people who recently and not-so-recently took the exam: opinion seems to be mixed between "Just study the Toronto notes" and "You should try to get some Emerg and maybe Peds experience". (Might I argue that Canadian Psych residents pass this exam because of their PGY-1 year rotating through ICU/Medicine/Emerg/Peds?)

I feel like cardiology and pharmacology are my weakest points (I'm a pathologist-to-be for heaven's sake!)

By the time October 2006 rolls around, I won't have held a stethoscope for more than a year.

So I was thinking of doing some Emerg.
I can't do a month's rotation because it'll count as a leave of absence from residency.
It was suggested that I do weekends, which I am attempting to arrange.

I guess my question is - does this sound appropriate for Part II prep from your perspective? (I realize this is an Internet forum and what I get back is worth only what I paid for it... :) )