MCCQE1 and IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Canadian students normally take the MCCQE1 before applying for CaRMS? Is it a deciding factor between people who do or don't take it? How much does it help or hurt?

Does the score matter or just that you pass it?

I am an IMG about to apply to CaRMS for the first time and want to take whatever I need to so I can obtain a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

after. score doesn't matter.

Thanks for that.

Canadian graduates take the MCCQE1 after they get into residency.

But what about IMGs? I understand the process is extremely, extremely competitive so do IMGs that have the MCCQE1 or MCCQE2 or NACOSCE a better candidate than someone who has only taken the MCCEE?

Does the MCCEE score differentiate IMG candidates as far as who is accepted or who is not?

Members don't see this ad :)
But what about IMGs? I understand the process is extremely, extremely competitive so do IMGs that have the MCCQE1 or MCCQE2 or NACOSCE a better candidate than someone who has only taken the MCCEE?

Compared to another identical applicant, the one of you who has passed the QEI is probably going to be preferred because your program director won't have to worry about you failing it.

However, this is further down the list. The most important things are:

1) Canadian clinical experience (and being a star)
2) Great reference letters from Canadian PDs, particularly from the site where you are applying
3) GREAT INTERVIEW. PDs are watching very closely to weed out crazy / illiterate / belligerent / lazy, etc. etc.
* Note that North American clinical experience is better than nothing, but Canadian (particularly local experience) is greatly preferable

The MCCEE (or NACOSCE if required) score does matter, although not as much as the above. It's more of hoop to jump through - programs likely have cutoffs although most don't publish these. If you meet the cutoff, your application makes it through to the next stage.

Other lesser factors include
- the reputation of your school / the PDs previous experience with residents from your school
- research / publications
- having passed the QEI

If you're applying through CaRMS during your final year of medical school you will NOT be expected to have written the QE1.

If you are applying after graduating you may be required to write and pass it before applying.

How the score is used varies between programs. I have hear of some programs averaging the EE and QE1 score for graduates and doubling the EE for final year med students. The best way to get more information is to contact the programs you're interested in and ask.

As a very broad generalization, large programs like IM and FM that receive large numbers of IMG applications use the EE and QE1 scores as cut offs for interview invitations. Smaller programs generally weigh the EE and QE1 score less heavily in making a decision.

I do not think that aiming for just passing is a good way to look at these exams for either large or small programs if your goal is to match into a Canadian residency.