MCG Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepSouthPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with MCG at the end of this month. Has anyone else had an interview with MCG yet? This is my first interview and I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect from the structure of the interview to the types of questions they ask. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The one PT program that I have heard multiple complaints about is MCG. I have not been there so all of my info is from other people. I have heard crazy stories from people being kicked out of the program for minor mishaps to crazy teaching methods that don't help in real world application.

I am currently on my final rotation with a student from MCG. She has told me that she feels as though MCG's program has not adequately prepared her for clinical reasoning skills and knowledge. Their teaching approach seems to be hands off and encourages a free thinking approach. This is fine, but it is difficult to develop your skills when you have no base to start from.

Another friend went to MCG and he repeatedly states how lacking the program is in terms of direction and shaping a well rounded PT.

Again, all of this is from other people and might not be accurate. I just have never heard so many people talk down about a program. I would be cautious.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. This is slightly troubling. I wonder if anyone else has heard of similar issues? I see your location is Columbia, SC...I assume you are at USC-Columbia's DPT program? I have been considering applying there as well. What do you think of your current program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am. USC's program is small. Our class size is 17. It is one of the smallest programs in the nation. We take gross anatomy and neuro with the med school students which is nice. The program is heavily based in research. Unlike most other programs, USC's DPT is 3.5 years long and you have to propose and defend a thesis. This takes a lot of time and effort. If you aren't interested in living in research, then this probably isn't the program for you. For my project I had to propose my thesis with a full lit review. Then carry out the study which involved recruiting 21 subjects and 3 PTs. Finally I have to calculate the data and defend my findings in front of my committee and all of the DPT students. We do 4 clinical rotations (6 week Ortho, 8 week Acute, 12 week Neuro, and the final one is 12 weeks of your choice). After finishing the DPT program you have the option to continue and get your PhD if you want to do more research and possibly teach.

Just down the road is MUSC, it is a shorter program (only 3 years) and from talking to friends who have attended it, this program has a higher value placed on clinical practice. It still hits the points of evidence based practice, but there is not a huge research project needed to graduate.

I also have a lot of friends who attended St. Augustine. Students from their program are among the smartest I have ever met. I do not know much about the program but Stanley Paris is a god in the PT world. He has revolutionized the practice.

Hope you have luck finding a program. Shop around. Every program is different. Ask to speak with students from other programs to get a feeling about how much they like it.

Thanks for the details on USC's program. I will probably put in an application there soon, I have it partially completed right now. I assume this program applies primarily to students that might want to teach at some point?

If you want to pursue the PhD after your DPT, then I guess so. The program just focuses a lot on research. So you end up doing a lot of independent work and writing.