Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MCG or Harvard

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by missacetone, Dec 21, 2008.

1. missacetone

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I'm down to these two schools and I'm kinda stuck. I just wanted to know which of the two you guys would pick and why. Here's what I came up with so far.

MCG:
    :thumbup: REALLY cheap tuition
    :thumbup: I'll be at the top of my class (they let students in with >3.4 GPA and >18AA/PAT) :eyebrow:
    :thumbdown: "Augusta is DISgusta" (really nothing to do out there and everyone ends up going to Atlanta to start a practice)
    :thumbup: They just built a new school for dental students
    :thumbdown: students I met seemed fake and none of the guys I saw were cute

Harvard:
    :thumbup: amazing facility, lovely area (great atmosphere/campus)
    :thumbdown: more expensive tuition
    :shifty: They use PBL... like USC.. (not sure about how I feel about it yet)
    :thumbup: everyone's dream school and everyone was really nice

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Greensalad

10+ Year Member

Harvard:
    1) Anyone from Harvard would be considered 'top of class' ...of any class.
    2) Most respected for research. More opportunities. Logically-- Better research = more innovation = more advanced/better care.
    3) Northern citizens are better looking. Healthier skin due to less UV exposure. Chicer sense of fashion.
    4) One of the cheapest private school tuitions you can find.
    5) Better atmosphere and more intelligent friends. Friends you'll keep in touch with for the rest of your life-- who will just happen to be some of the most intelligent doctors on the planet.
    6) People in big cities around universities are more considerate and more respectful, regardless of their forwardness.

4. slick90210

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    lol you are funny. I really hope you are good looking :)

5. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    MCG's an exodus from UGA. You get highly attractive girls along with guys who are tall, built, and with chiseled features. You should go to MCG for the sex alone. :laugh:

6. Flipper405

Flipper405 "Excessive" flosser
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm going to miss UGA, if for no other reason, the constant eye candy :laugh:

OP, I would recommend MCG (the cost factor is overwhelming imo)

7. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    i'm going to MCG...'nough said :cool: :D

but with your notion about how "smart" you are...go to harvard b/c you'd prob resent being around us "dumb" folk that aren't as good looking as you:laugh:

8. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Harvard's class is also filled with students with those stats :rolleyes:

Hup

PS- knock that chip off your shoulder. Doesn't matter where you go to school, MCG or Harvard, you'll be surrounded by bright people and your future colleagues. You'd be surprised how different dental school is than anything you've done before.

9. maktubalchemist

Pre-Dental
    def...harvard. represent the south up there. besides you should go to the best place you get in. if you want a city with history and culture and an eye opener. theres something about going to mcg with all the same people from georgia that just doesn't sound appealing. but i know tuition costs are a huge deal right now with the market the way it is...but its a cycle and eventually it'll turn around. i dunno i went to boston all summer and no one thought mcg was anything compared to their schooling...but i guess it could just be the egotistical nature of it. thats just my personal opinion. you can say you went to harvard.

10. missacetone

Pre-Dental
    What I meant by that is that MCG's base GPA for acceptance is low. Harvard would at least be >3.75. Thanks for your opinion.

11. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Are you a ******? No, I am sorry not a ******, simply a stuck up bitc%.I bet if you went to any of the 50 or so dental schools you still would not be top of the class, even though you think you are so smart. If you are so smart go invent something and don't be a stuck up dentist. I am sure you are not even very cute. Why don't you do most of the rest of us a favor and not even go to dental school. Thank you

12. TeethandGums

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Uh oh......:corny:

13. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  14. slick90210

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Only one way to solve this....

Post a picture hahha

15. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    subscribed...:corny:

16. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    coming from a girl with username miss acetone

17. ssik

ssik New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You only live once. Go to Harvard. It will pay off.

18. Jmacc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :eek: really kind of rude and uncalled for don't you think?

19. dentisttobe42

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would go to Harvard just for it's name... its WAY more prestigious than many other dental schools... btw, i don't think its a safe assumption to make that you are going to be at the top of your class at MCG JUST because of your stats PRIOR to getting into dental school.... these people are in dental school for a reason... I'd go to Harvard though

20. missacetone

Pre-Dental
    I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! Thanks for everyone's opinion, minus theskibumjohnso. Whoever you are, you are pretty pathetic to get so offended over an online forum. I know this decision is a no brainer, but my mom and siblings live in Georgia and I just started getting closer to them again. I guess I have to just really think it through and determine what's best for me. If you're going to get offended, don't bother responding. I'm entitled to my own opinions. It's fun reading everyone's comment's, but overall the experience is not worth it.

21. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sorry but somebody sounds like a beotch to me.... what's that familiar smell? acetone!

22. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    nope

23. Jmacc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well miss acetone I think it would be great if you were to join me at Harvard next year.

I had a couple of great schools to choose from, and I picked Harvard NOT because of the NAME or the REPUTATION like everyone above me is suggesting. I picked it because of all the schools I interviewed at, I was most impressed by the OVERALL curriculum, facilities, faculty, students, location, and environment. Because of all the negative stuff that seems to be posted on this forum about Harvard, for whatever reason, I went into the interview actually without many expectations, but I left really hoping I got in because, after seeing the school, I would have been slightly disappointed going anywhere else.

Lets just hope that the jerk above us won't be attending as well. I don't know what the heck he has out for you, but don't listen to him.

24. Imbetterthanyou

Imbetterthanyou Seriously, I am!
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    How is it that you're impressed by the overall curriculum? Harvard's the only school in America to NOT have a pre-clinic. Columbia comes close, with having a clinic that you have no time to use til your later years. Harvard has that effect on people. You're sitting at the interview in awe because it's Harvard. The entire time you're there, you're thinking, "omg, I can't believe I'm here. I really, really hope I get in!!!!" Somehow, during that awe, students are impressed by the lack of training you get at Harvard.

25. Mia305

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Have you even been to the school before? Harvard definitely has a pre-clinic- no idea where you heard otherwise.

26. Jmacc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well ImBetterThanYou...since you are, in fact, better than me, that must completely negate my opinion and anything I had to say.

I stand by what I said, and I think that Harvard provides its students with a comprehensive education in an environment that best promotes learning. I know no matter what I say, someone on this board is going to have some counter statement against the school, because, as I said, people on here love to hate on Harvard. I'm not going to dental school to only become a good clinician, I'm going to dental school to become a good overall dentist and health provider; there is a difference. Also, to echo the girl above me, where did you hear that Harvard has no pre-clinic?? That's not even true.

I don't like being told that students, including myself, are blinded by the Harvard name. I would think that anyone who was fortunate enough to get an interview at Harvard would be intelligent enough to think for themselves and form their own honest opinions on the school based on what they are presented. As I said, I actually went into the interview with low expectations, and it was not the NAME that impressed me, it was the school itself.

Please do not make assumptions about me or my decisions, even if you do think you are "better than me".

27. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Acetone, you should definitely join me and Jmacc next year.

All the dental schools are accredited by ADA, so they must be fulfilling all the requirements. And, can you explain what does your signature means?;)

I met the most humble and down to earth people compared to other schools i visited. No one ever bragged about the name "Harvard" even once.

#26 sajjy, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  28. missacetone

Pre-Dental
    Now that's more like it!

29. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Well, do they USE their pre-clinic? I've already met numerous HSDM students who will testify to not drilling til like, ....after graduation. Well, that's a stretch, but they don't start developing their hand skills til much, much later.

Interesting that you said "anyone who was fortunate enough to get an interview at Harvard would be intelligent enough to think for themselves and form their own honest opinions on the school based on what they are presented." I think they may have a good marketing team during the interviews. The reason why I criticized Harvard is because there's a most glaring deficiency in the curriculum, but students continue to be impressed by it. Going to school with the intent of becoming good is different from actually becoming good. It's like wanting to go into the NFL by only watching strategy training videos for the first few years and going on the field last minute. You kinda need both concurrently.

I just find it hard to believe that a thinking person is impressed by an overall curriculum that skimps out on clinical training. I think a person is more easily persuaded by the mystical aurora surrounding Harvard.

Why don't you guys tell me why you're impressed by Harvard's curriculum. What about their powerpoint presentation during the interview stuck out to you?

#28 Imbetterthanyou, Dec 27, 2008
  30. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Not all curricula are created equal. Yes, every school will present you with the information you need to know. But no, that doesn't make them equal. Some schools do a better job of organizing information into usable concepts. The better the organization, the more students understand concepts, the stronger the students' ability to use that knowledge to reason through clinical situations. Some schools have a better track record in terms of producing stronger clinicians, and it may be worth a person's time to find out which schools these are. The argument "we all become dentists at the end" is a relatively meaningless statement. Competence doesn't equate to excellence. I find it odd that schools advertise that they train "competent dentists," because it means they're doing a lousy job.

31. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    And thus Harvard's curriculum is different from others and makes it unique. That doesnt make every school equal but still every school has to follow (atleast) the basic requirements.

Since you are better than everyone/everything, then why dont you open up a good school stressing on didactics and clinicals both?;)

#30 sajjy, Dec 27, 2008
  32. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You are assuming that we are blindly trusting the students/people that we met through the interview committee. But, as Jmacc said, those who were interviewed/accepted are good enough to do some more research about the school, something outside of what was shown on the interview day.

But then again, since you are saying that they fooled us on the interview day then it must be true, because youarebetterthaneveryone/everything(seriously, you are!);)

33. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Their having a different curriculum does make it unique, but it doesn't make it a quality one. Harvard doesn't have the reputation of being the strongest in the basic sciences, while it does have the reputation of being strong during the clinical rotations. Unfortunately, dental students don't do primary care rounds in the hospitals.

What makes you think I havn't already done so? :smuggrin:

34. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Are you sure??? I guess they tricked us during the interview day...LOL

35. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Do you believe everything you're told? Or are you capable of assessing information on your own?

36. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Should i believe you then?:confused::rolleyes:

Anyways, these arguments wont help anyone, and is rather a waste of time (atleast my time). We all got it that Harvard SUCKS big time and every year 35 dumbheads choose Harvard, happy?

Hey Jmacc, so when are we celebrating our mistake of choosing Harvard??...LOL

37. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    No, you should encourage Harvard to improve themselves. Right now, they're relying on the strength of their students, not the quality of their training.

38. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Which school do you go to?
    Also, i see change in your status from Pre-health to MD/PhD. Why is that?
    And you still did not explain the signature you have?:D
    ""At the end of the day, we're all MD's"...what idiot says that? Of course, we're all MD's. What'd you think? That 's what going to medical school does, gives you an MD. But we're not all equal, because some schools have a better track record in the hospital. The residency directors say that some of their students perform better than others."

39. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Because I'm no longer prehealth.

I've already explained it:

Not all curricula are created equal. Yes, every school will present you with the information you need to know. But no, that doesn't make them equal. Some schools do a better job of organizing information into usable concepts. The better the organization, the more students understand concepts, the stronger the students' ability to use that knowledge to reason through clinical situations. Some schools have a better track record in terms of producing stronger clinicians, and it may be worth a person's time to find out which schools these are. The argument "we all become dentists at the end" is a relatively meaningless statement. Competence doesn't equate to excellence. I find it odd that schools advertise that they train "competent dentists," because it means they're doing a lousy job.

40. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm better than you makes a great argument, I would also like to thank everyone for helping me make my decision. I will not be attending Harvard, because I would like to be an experienced dentist or rather a dentist with hands on experience, not one who has read about becoming a dentist. I would also not want to be stuck with a bunch of stuck up classmates.

41. PikPocket

Pre-Dental
    Very eye opening thread.

Congrats to the person who gained acceptance to both schools, very impressive. Both MCG and Harvard have wonderful programs that would be highly respected/revered with in any dental circle.

My personal opinion, family is very important and I would caution against making any decision that, even if only slightly, involved "hot" guys or girls.

42. isurus22

isurus22 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh I love the people on these threads, thinking they know everything about all of the schools.... I used to get so frustrated when I was applying to schools because of all the SDN people making false claims about schools. How do all these people trying to get into dental school, give advice about how to get into dental school? Because they don't know anything.
    Make the decisions for yourself.
    For the record I love my school...

Harvard S.D.M. 2011

43. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    The topic at hand isn't about how to get into school, Mr. HSDM.

44. theskibumjohnso

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Another Harvard student reporting on the greatness of the school, of course you know about all the other dental schools and most likely have a bias toward Harvard.

45. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    He didnt comment on or bash any other school unlike few SDNers.

46. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    no, but what he did was impliedly bash people.

I don't even know what he was thinking, he came on a vented on a subject not even pertinent to the topic at hand. A topic that troubled him years back.

#45 Imbetterthanyou, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  47. GatorDDS

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I didnt read anywhere near to this whole thread.

I just thought that #3 of this list is funny. Funny because Miami was voted most beautiful place (people wise) in america and im pretty sure its down south in florida.

48. sajjy

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    MissAcetone, i hope you will join us at H next year, but you wanna take a look at the last post of the following thread, a post from a recent graduate from HSDM.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588963

And lets be professional and decent and keep this as a constructive thread for the OP or others.

49. Imbetterthanyou

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Oh look. The Harvard boys getting together and making no sense together. Cheers.

50. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    to the OP, if they are still reading this thread for usable 411...go to the school in which you think YOU will best fit in both personally and scholastically. both schools have their pros and cons as does any school - but the question remains, which ones are important to YOU!?!?

if you decide to attend MCG, then i welcome you but don't think for a minute that you will be granted the #1 seat as i am a very competetive person :) ... but if you decide to attend harvard then good luck and i am sure you will enjoy your experience regardless.

good luck with this internal turmoil on picking your location for the next 4-8 years:)

51. UMddsrules

Pre-Dental
    Let's remember both Bush and Obama went to Harvard grad school.:D

With that said:

-both schools are great but the experience will be great if you make it great, you have the power of becoming the best dentist, not matter which school you choose.