MCG or Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you want to do clinical work or research? No one cares too much about school when you're a clinical dentist; people will care MUCH more in research.

With that said, I'd go to Harvard. I kick myself in the face for not applying there (the cost factor scared me out of it).

Members don't see this ad.

Originally Posted by sajjy
MissAcetone, i hope you will join us at H next year, but you wanna take a look at the last post of the following thread, a post from a recent graduate from HSDM.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588963

And lets be professional and decent and keep this as a constructive thread for the OP or others.

"A few of my classmates went out for private practice and they all told me that they are very comfortable doing it."

To me this says, he asked his classmates if they felt comfortable becoming general dentist. The fact that the question was even brought up, shows there was some concern.
Most students who attend the schools more oriented toward research do not feel comfortable practicing as general dentist, because the lack of experience is one of the reasons why they specialize. What do you do when you go into a specialty? you practice, practice, practice because practice makes perfection. Not studying or reading or researching. An Ivy league school would be the top choice for anyone wanting to specialize, but Harvard sucks now because of the students attending there thinking they are better than everyone. I guess not every student just a select few, like the original post on this forum.
Patients won't care if you have attended the worst school in the universe, if you have a good reputation of being a great dentist and doing quality work, you will be a great dentist.
A dentist is a dentist no matter which school he/she graduates from, except Harvard, then your an as%hole.

Last edited:
MissAcetone, I hope you will join us at H next year

Thanks Sajjy, after discussing it with my family and spending time reflecting upon my future, I think going to Harvard is the right decision.

To theskibumjohnso, you are pitiful. No one cares (at least none of us Harvard students) about your asinine rantings. You obviously have nothing better to do than defend some preconceived notion of your ego which I have somehow insulted. Go retire back into your hole.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No one chooses MCG over Harvard, even when flaws concerning the Harvard education are numerous.

Thanks Sajjy, after discussing it with my family and spending time reflecting upon my future, I think going to Harvard is the right decision.

To theskibumjohnso, you are pitiful. No one cares (at least none of us Harvard students) about your asinine rantings. You obviously have nothing better to do than defend some preconceived notion of your ego which I have somehow insulted. Go retire back into your hole.

Nice, welcome to the club!!!

Hey guys, I'm down to these two schools and I'm kinda stuck. I just wanted to know which of the two you guys would pick and why. Here's what I came up with so far.

MCG:
:thumbup: REALLY cheap tuition
:thumbup: I'll be at the top of my class (they let students in with >3.4 GPA and >18AA/PAT) :eyebrow:
:thumbdown: "Augusta is DISgusta" (really nothing to do out there and everyone ends up going to Atlanta to start a practice)
:thumbup: They just built a new school for dental students
:thumbdown: students I met seemed fake and none of the guys I saw were cute

What are you talking about? They haven't even broken ground on that school yet...and, it won't even be open until the matriculating class of 2013.

Harvard:
1) Anyone from Harvard would be considered 'top of class' ...of any class.
2) Most respected for research. More opportunities. Logically-- Better research = more innovation = more advanced/better care.
3) Northern citizens are better looking. Healthier skin due to less UV exposure. Chicer sense of fashion.
4) One of the cheapest private school tuitions you can find.
5) Better atmosphere and more intelligent friends. Friends you'll keep in touch with for the rest of your life-- who will just happen to be some of the most intelligent doctors on the planet.
6) People in big cities around universities are more considerate and more respectful, regardless of their forwardness.

ARE YOU SERIOUS! Yeah, if you think the guy from the my new haircut youtube video is good looking and chic. Guidos

And tanning beds dont make your skin healthier.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

I shadowed the peds residents at Children's Hospital Boston a couple months ago and all but a couple were HSDM grads. They were intelligent, friendly, down-to-earth, and spoke highly of the dental school. The good thing about Harvard is it is in the middle of some of the most advanced research, clinical procedures, and residency opportunities in the world. I would choose Harvard based on the high match frequency for residencies, the opportunity to practice in Boston, the research exposure, and the fact that it is located in fun city.

Hey guys, I'm down to these two schools and I'm kinda stuck. I just wanted to know which of the two you guys would pick and why. Here's what I came up with so far.

MCG:
:thumbup: REALLY cheap tuition
:thumbup: I'll be at the top of my class (they let students in with >3.4 GPA and >18AA/PAT) :eyebrow:
:thumbdown: "Augusta is DISgusta" (really nothing to do out there and everyone ends up going to Atlanta to start a practice)
:thumbup: They just built a new school for dental students
:thumbdown: students I met seemed fake and none of the guys I saw were cute

What are you talking about? They haven't even broken ground on that school yet...and, it won't even be open until the matriculating class of 2013.

i'll be starting MCG SOD in august and when i had my interview there they told us that our class would be the first ones to use the new school during our D3 year. i mean, i'm not there yet, but thats what i was told