McGill Clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

April4321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you familiar with the Clinical program at McGill?

I know that it is considered a top-notch university etc. But I have heard some not-so-great things about the clinical training. Mainly, that (perhaps because they are so research-oriented) that it is really not a focus and is lacking. Other things I have heard: that the classes are taught by faculty that haven't practiced since the 70s, the classes are not very practical in terms of learning how to use assessment tools etc. and have a very theoretical focus, that students feel really unprepared going into practicum, it's extra-challenging to build up enough practicum hours to be competitive for internship, and that you have to make sure you get really excellent supervision at your off-site pracitca bc training is lacking at the university. Also it has a match rate around 70 something % (low 70s) I think. I am not sure exactly how to interpret this; if anyone can tell me that'd be great!

I am considering applying but, although I am interested in getting good research training, if I were to put the time in to do clinical I would like to get a solid training in this as well. If, as it may be in some of the really research oriented programs, clinical training is an afterthought I wonder: what's the point!?

So...yes, I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Clinical program at McGill or has any (somewhat) reliable information obtained through other sources!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how match rates work for Canadian schools - I know APA has started to separate off school accreditation of Canadian schools, is the same thing happening for internship sites? If so, that might explain it if some students are looking at Canadian (but not American) sites.

I looked into McGill quite a bit, and your statements basically match what I heard. The lack of clinical focus was actually a big draw for me, even though I didn't end up applying in the end. Like many large universities, they're pretty deadset on producing professors/researchers not practitioners - its likely the same situation you'd encounter at Yale, Wisconsin-Madison, or other research-heavy schools.

I think it depends what your goals are. If you want to open a private practice or work in really any patient-care setting, its obviously not the best choice. If you want to be a university professor its definitely one of, if not THE best school in Canada for getting you there, in which case I'd just recommend realizing it will take some extra work to get a solid clinical background as well if you want to do treatment research and things like that.

Thats precisely what I heard as well. Like the previous post said, its an excellent choice for those who want to go into academia, because frankly, the program is geared to pumping out academics. Yes, from the practical, clinical perspective, this is a terrible training school, but its all about what the applicant is looking for. Looking for good clinical experience? I suggest you steer away from McGill; if you're looking for a good research-oriented program, places like McGill and UBC are the places to be.

Okay, I am currently a psych student at McGill (undergrad though) but would say that I know the grad program quite well (knowing a good proportion of the Grad students in clin psy). McGills Clin Psych program tries to train people who will do research in clinical psychology, not people who will actually practice. In order to be accredited they fulfill the minimum clinical requirements but if you want to eventually practice McGill is not the way to go...the research training you get is top notch though. If you want to practice and study at McGill you should look at McGill program in Applied Psychology, which is offered by McGills Faculty of Education.