McGill Dentistry's Reputation Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galen1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what McGill Dentistry’s reputation is abroad, and if students graduating from there have a good chance at getting into specialties like OMFS, Ortho, Endo, etc. I’ve heard rumours that this is the case, but I know of course that class rank and other factors come into play. Does anyone have any first-hand or hearsay evidence of this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Galen1 said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what McGill Dentistry’s reputation is abroad, and if students graduating from there have a good chance at getting into specialties like OMFS, Ortho, Endo, etc. I’ve heard rumours that this is the case, but I know of course that class rank and other factors come into play. Does anyone have any first-hand or hearsay evidence of this?

Thanks!

Probably highly regarded in the north eastern states. People in the rest of the US probably couldn't care less...seeing as how they've never heard of it. But for sure the Ivy's and other top schools in the region will know of both McGill and UofT...and perhaps even Western. I have a feeling that the top schools on the west coast will also have a good impression of these schools.

Audio said:
Probably highly regarded in the north eastern states. People in the rest of the US probably couldn't care less...seeing as how they've never heard of it. But for sure the Ivy's and other top schools in the region will know of both McGill and UofT...and perhaps even Western. I have a feeling that the top schools on the west coast will also have a good impression of these schools.

a bit of background - i did the ortho and omfs rounds this past cycle. i made this comment in another thread which is i saw lots of harvard, columbia and uconn and mcgill students. even more surprising was that mcgill only has a class of like 30 students and i met a bunch during my interviews. omfs chair at my program is from mcgill. i bounced around during college and my mentor in kansas city strongly recommended mcgill so the rep is beyond NE. but having said this, it's more about boards and rank (if your school ranks).

One of the demos on the floor told me that over 90% of McGill grads end up going into a specialty. I doubt it's that high, but if it is, I wouldn't be surprised; practically everyone does a residency which is a useful stepping stone to a specialty. The school is probably best known for its perio program. BTW - McGill does not rank their students.