McGill + Interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Writer1985

Mistress of Spices
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an American student, and McGill is my top choice medical school for a number of reasons. I was checking out the application the other day and noticed the PDFs for letters of recommendation. Now, my undergraduate school (and most US schools, I believe; I don't know about Canada), requires letter-writers to submit letters to a confidential third-party collecting service like Interfolio, which then sends out the letters in a single packet to whichever schools you designate. Because of the way the system is set up, all the letters remain absolutely confidential if you waive your rights (which I did).

So my question is, would McGill be ok with that, or would they require their own forms to be filled out and returned? The only problem with the latter is that one of the professors who wrote me a letter is on sabbatical next semester and I don't have an address for him; as for the others, I've already written them thank-you notes and I don't want to hunt them down again to say "Oh, by the way, please fill this form out as well." (Not a huge deal, I know, but it makes me feel a little silly.)

I'm going to call McGill's admissions office tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The actual letter of reference can by typed or hand-written in any matter. The form that must be filled out by referees is a quasi-evaluation of the applicant. Your referees could simply print off a copy of this evaluation, put some check marks where they feel appropriate, add a copy of the LOR they've already written and send it off to McGill. If your teacher who is on sabbatical is unable to fill out the evaluation sheet i don't know if they'll accepted him as a referee. I would also imagine that it would be to your disadvantage if your application were to require any sort of "special treatment". Being an international student the competition will be fierce! What do i know though? Call the admissions office; they're really friendly.