McGill friendly US med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChef94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never heard of this rumour but it is highly unlikely. Why would admissions look upon McGill more favourably compared to plenty of other prestigious US schools? At the end of the days, there are only so few spots for international students that admissions would always take ones with the best stats and extracurriculars (hence the much higher average GPA and MCAT for Canadian students).

Reactions: 1 users
As in international student you have to be really good and you need people that recommend and vote for you! and for sure you need good grades!
McGill is a great school indeed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Never heard of this rumour but it is highly unlikely. Why would admissions look upon McGill more favourably compared to plenty of other prestigious US schools? At the end of the days, there are only so few spots for international students that admissions would always take ones with the best stats and extracurriculars (hence the much higher average GPA and MCAT for Canadian students).

I wouldn't be applying as an international applicant (I'm a US citizen), I'd just be coming from a Canadian university. I can't remember which school it was, but one of Michigan's DO schools has a program solely for Canadian applicants, so maybe that is where that rumour stems from?

I wouldn't be applying as an international applicant (I'm a US citizen), I'd just be coming from a Canadian university. I can't remember which school it was, but one of Michigan's DO schools has a program solely for Canadian applicants, so maybe that is where that rumour stems from?

MSU-COM allocates certain number of spots to Canadian students, in no way is the program "soley" for Canadian applicants. I think 20/300 seats are reserved for Canadians.

Reactions: 1 user
MSU-COM allocates upward of 25 seats to Canadian students solely to promote osteopathic medicine and is in no way an advantage since those 25 seats are extremely competitive compared to other DO schools that accept international students. As a US citizen, you will be at a much better advantage in applying to US schools since you are less restricted to the schools you can apply to. Reputation wise, McGill used to have the nickname of "Harvard of the North" but that honestly doesn't carry much weight in medical school admissions (just like Ivy league doesn't give an applicant much of an advantage if their GPAs are lower than someone from a state university).

Reactions: 1 user