McGlamry's v Chang's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crhoody12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just are about to start our Dig/Met Surgery class and our teacher recommended getting the McGlamry's book. Though its a high price commitment (and we were told that the new edition doesn't come out till next year), I was going to get it. I was wondering since I'm already getting McGlamry's, should I jsut go and get the Chang's (Masters Techniques in Pod Surgery: The Foot and Ankle)book as well? Are they similar/different? Will we end up needing both or is one (McGlamry's) fine to have alone?

Besides these two (and the PI Manual I was told about), are their any other recommended books to add to the personal podiatry library?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have always been very fond of McGlammary's book, though it's a shame you can't wait for the new edition. Although I do have Chang's book and find it decent, I find it omits a LOT of material and only really offers one or at the max two approaches to most pathologies. A chapter is devoted to a particular author's preference for a pathology, and it really doesn't always give a great overview of treatment choices in my opinion. I believe McGlammary is better for that material.

In the interim, you may want to see if a "used" copy of McGlammary is available until the new edition is available. I find McGlammary pretty comprehensive and a great learning tool, especially for the novice.

They are very different books. Chang's is good for disection pictures and certain surgical approaches.

McGlamery will be useful for schoo, boards, extenships, ABPS boards... This is the book that you will be expected to know. If you know what other books say as well, that will be bonus. IMO of the way it seems to work.

The night before a case I use Coughlin and Mann. I do not have Chang's.

There are tons of books out there. You'll start to acquire them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd only buy the PI Manual and possibly the forefoot McGlamry's for $40-50 on half or amazon used. You can always use/copy big 2vol McG text in your school/clerkship/residency/etc libraries until the new edition comes out.

I'd buy Chang during 3rd year; well worth the $. As was mentioned, they are different books. McGlamrys is the exhaustive A to Z history, pathology, almost every possilbe technique, etc. Chang's is more the nuts and bolts of the anatomy, dissection, and the chapter author's approach to each basic pathology.

Coughlin and Mann (comprehensive) and Myerson Recon F&A Surg (technique) are the basic ortho equivalents. Those two, and Sigvard Hansen's Functional Recon of F&A, are also good purchases once you're a resident.

I looked into the McGlamry's Forefoot. Stupid question - my class that we needed the book for was Dig & Met Surgery. I would assume this book (vs the full $400 McGlamry's) would be more than enough? Also, is the material in the McGlamry's Forefoot also in the full Foot and Ankle book?

I really want to hold off on getting McGlamrys until the new edition next year, but would like to have some reference for class and the FF seems like a great idea.

I looked into the McGlamry's Forefoot. Stupid question - my class that we needed the book for was Dig & Met Surgery. I would assume this book (vs the full $400 McGlamry's) would be more than enough? Also, is the material in the McGlamry's Forefoot also in the full Foot and Ankle book? ...
The forefoot version is the first 10 or 12 chapters from the 2vol: nail, dig, neuroma, HAV, HR/HL, lesser met, etc surg

Oops...thought the thread was about a match fight.

BTW, Chang trained under McGlamry at the Tucker, GA program.