McMaster University (I'm Confused< Please Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicagoCK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused. So I have been thinking about applying to McMaster and I was told that you don't have to take the MCAT or have a science background. Is this true? I have no science background and I was planning on going to Post-Baccalaureate premed in the states. I just don't understand how it could be physically/mentally possible to learn Chemistry, Physics, Bio, etc. WHILE in med school? Can someone please enlighten me as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is a Mac, but I am an american in my third year at Memorial University of Newfoundland. They also do not require pre-medical sciences prior to entering the Medical School. Its certainly a little tougher during first year if you don't have the background sciences, but only a little. Truth is orgo, general chem, and physics are basically of no utility in the first couple years. Doing a bit of bio helps with physiology, biochem, and anatomy...but the other stuff - just a hoop you need to jump through in my opinion.

A couple of my classmates came in with little to no of the normal pre-reqs and they are excelling. Anyway, hope this helps...Oh and not sure if you know, but Mac is a 3 year program! (ie no summers off)

My understanding is that McMaster wants as diverse an applicant pool as possible, and I think that by not requiring students to have taken too many science courses before applying, they're trying to encourarge more non-science students to apply. And while science students' science class scores can sometimes correlate with med school success, that's not to say they're absolutely necessary. The first year of med school focuses heavily on physiology, and at no point will you be taught about galvanic cells, friction, or the plant kingdom. Their reasoning, it seems, is that a strong poli-sci, music, or history student should be able to learn about physiology as well as a strong science student. Science undergrads will have a leg up on some of the non-science undergrads, particularily if they've taken physiology/biochem courses, I'd imagine -- but not having taken physics and chemistry in your undergrad by no means means you'll do poorly in med school. You just might have to do a bit more studying in the first year or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
McMaster is great university to go to. They want an average of 3.0 and they prefer mature students although not always.
They like diversity.

I'm really confused. So I have been thinking about applying to McMaster and I was told that you don't have to take the MCAT or have a science background. Is this true? I have no science background and I was planning on going to Post-Baccalaureate premed in the states. I just don't understand how it could be physically/mentally possible to learn Chemistry, Physics, Bio, etc. WHILE in med school? Can someone please enlighten me as soon as possible.

OK, then McMaster does requires the MCAT and a background science as physics (Only for the MCAT), Biology and chemistry.

But U of Toronto doesn't requires background science, but still you need the MCAT.

A little word of advise:
Don't look for an easy way in medicine, cause there are non :p:p:p

I don't know if you are a Canadian citizen, etc. or why you are motivated to apply to McMaster.

As has been said here many many times before, Mac is a very difficult school to get into. The 3.0 and no MCAT are really just distractions from a very selective application process, which in practice takes primarily applicants with a 3.8 GPA or better and phenomenal other qualifications. If you are one of these special people, good luck. If you are an average schmo like the rest of us, the 3.0/no MCAT will just be an opportunity for you to spend money in Canada instead (even more expensive now, with the Canadian dollar at par!).