MCO Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to let everyone know that the new web address for MCO/MUO is www.meduohio.edu I think I like this address.

Members don't see this ad.

amy i had a similar choice, but MCO made me an offer i just couldn't refuse

add me to the class of 2009!!

teh-t said:
amy i had a similar choice, but MCO made me an offer i just couldn't refuse

add me to the class of 2009!!

Unfortunately, since I didn't get any great scholarship offer, the decision came down to living with my husband for the next four years or living in Toledo during the week and only being home on weekends. If I had been offered a great scholarship opportunity, it would have made the decision even more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was the most difficult decision i have made in my life

Hey guys,
Just gonna let you all know that I just got back from Toledo after looking at apartments for a couple days. I finally chose Heather Hills after two days of driving around and taking tours. It's $574/month with gas, water, and trash removal included. It has a washer and dryer in the unit, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and balcony. Before travelling up and seeing the different places I had decided to spend $450-500 per month, but I found Heather Hills and loved it. It had everything I wanted, was in a really nice area, and is kept up very well. If anyone has questions about it or any other suggestions just ask.

Hallm_7 said:
Hey guys,
Just gonna let you all know that I just got back from Toledo after looking at apartments for a couple days. I finally chose Heather Hills after two days of driving around and taking tours. It's $574/month with gas, water, and trash removal included. It has a washer and dryer in the unit, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and balcony. Before travelling up and seeing the different places I had decided to spend $450-500 per month, but I found Heather Hills and loved it. It had everything I wanted, was in a really nice area, and is kept up very well. If anyone has questions about it or any other suggestions just ask.

Hey Hallm 7 - I'll be in Heather Hills too- starting at the end of June. We should meet up, I am really looking forward to living there!

That's awesome! I actually think we talked about you quite a bit. Are you the one that wanted the third floor apartment? It's looking like I'm going to be moving into what is now the model apartment. At the end of July they're moving the model to the unit above the office, so they gave me the unit it is in now. I really loved that complex, and I can't wait to move in either. I won't move up until the first of August, but when I do I'll be sure to get in touch with you.

sfbear said:
It looks like I'll be heading out to Toledo either late June 11th or early the 12th. If anyone wants to meet up for dinner or something (maybe that Monday?) let me know. Also, I'll be looking at a bunch of apartments (don't have my list compiled just yet, though) and I'd be happy to check out places for people because, hey, i might end up living there too. so nyc, if no one gets back to you before then i'll check it out and see what people say.

Hi, I think that June 10th - 12th is the best time for me to go to Toledo also. Out of the ones on the internet, I like the Heather Hills apts the best and if there's already two of you guys living there . . .I'm really interested in moving there so we can support each other. Exciting. I'm going to buy my tickets either tonight or tomorrow for those dates so sfbear, if you and your husband are in town maybe we can meet up and compare apts etc.
Two more months guys!!

Hey guys,

while I won't be going to MUO this coming fall (they offered me a lot to come), I am a Toledo native and am willing to answer any questions you may have about Toledo, etc.

Also, I found this article in the Toledo Blade (which is the major Toledo-area newspaper). It's about MUO planning on-campus housing. It obviously won't be available when you start, but heres the link anyway:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbc...0524/NEWS32/505240387&SearchID=73209742879546

Jason

neuronerd said:
Hi, I think that June 10th - 12th is the best time for me to go to Toledo also. Out of the ones on the internet, I like the Heather Hills apts the best and if there's already two of you guys living there . . .I'm really interested in moving there so we can support each other. Exciting. I'm going to buy my tickets either tonight or tomorrow for those dates so sfbear, if you and your husband are in town maybe we can meet up and compare apts etc.
Two more months guys!!

I was looking at ticket prices, and i'm starting to think I'll go out there at the end of the week instead of the beginning. and it's always easier to get time off work at the end of the week rather than the beginning. i'm not sure yet - i'll decide tonight, though. i'm just excited to get everything started. :)

So ignore my previous post - I'll still be there at the beginning of the week (approx. 12th - 14th).

Hallm_7 said:
Hey guys,

Is the apt. a 1 or 2 bedroom?
Does that rate include a carportor garage?
Unit air conditioning or central air?
Cable/Internet Company?
Do they require co-signer for the apartment lease?
Gas....Heat is gas and not elect?
What kind of deposits and fees are required and for what ?

What would be ur second choice?
What if 500. was ur limit what apt. would u choose?
pets? My concerns are allergies if pets are allowed.

thanks!

That rate is for the 1 BR on the second or third floors. First floor 1 BR are $530-540 b/c they don't have washer/dryer. There are no carports or garages at this complex, so it's all outdoors. The heat is gas and is included in the monthly rent, and it's central air. This apartment has Buckeye Cable for tv and internet, and there were also brochures for SBC and DSL. The lady there said that you can package cable and internet together for $35/month or so. However, that is the bare minimum of channels and the slowest internet speed. They don't require a formal co-signer I don't think, but we'll all qualify to live there without one anyway......our yearly loans and grants equal the required 2x or 4x yearly rent. I had to pay a $50 application fee, and I think it's a $150 security deposit, but I'm not sure b/c that seems really low.....maybe it was $250.....who knows? Only cats are allowed, and I wouldn't worry too much about allergies b/c they re-paint everything and replace carpet when a new tenant comes in.

I also liked Kings Cove which is nearby, but decided against it b/c they didn't have either washer/dryer or dishwasher. It was ~$430-480 for the various 1 BR, and it is well-kept. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno if this a stupid question but I've never lived in an area where it snowed.

When exactly is the snowy season and how long does it last?

Vomitonme said:
I dunno if this a stupid question but I've never lived in an area where it snowed.

When exactly is the snowy season and how long does it last?

Definitely not a dumb question---but it all depends. Around here snow can start anywhere from the end of October or November-ish ( I have fond memories of Trick or Treating in the snow with gloves on and wearing a winter jacket under my costume!) and last till April latest. The worst months seem to be January and February in terms of it being cold and not wanting to get out of bed and into your car in the freezing cold--it can get kind of depressing! You'll be fine though--its not as bad here as a lot of people make it out to be. Driving in the snow isn't that bad either, it just takes some getting used to and maybe some sand bags if you're driving a really light car.

bumping for the class sticky

So I was going to make the big drive to Ohio tonight but my driving partner flaked out on me so I'm going to drive to Ohio next week.

I have a couple places that I looked at online and I was wondering if there is anyone who went to these places and what did they think. Here's what I though while looking on internet. Sorry if things like this have been posted, I didn't read it all. . .

Williamsburg of Toledo-gives 20 bucks discount a month to students for 527 a month w/o washer/dryer

Vantage Villa-cheap and close to school

Swan Park- ?

Country Club Apartments at Inver West- furnished apartments for 600 bucks a month, in unit washer dryer, carport, the works . . . they said that a lot of MCO students live there and also some faculty. Can anyone confirm??

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated. I asked the admissions office to send me the housing information but I'm not sure when it'll get here.

I don't actually have any info on the apartments, but I had the school send me some apartment info as well and it just turned out to be a rent.com magazine/ad thing. it's got a useful grid in the front that summarizes the rent, amenities, location, etc., but i wouldn't get too excited about it.

let me know how the drive goes! i'll be making it in july. :)

neuronerd said:
So I was going to make the big drive to Ohio tonight but my driving partner flaked out on me so I'm going to drive to Ohio next week.

I have a couple places that I looked at online and I was wondering if there is anyone who went to these places and what did they think. Here's what I though while looking on internet. Sorry if things like this have been posted, I didn't read it all. . .

Williamsburg of Toledo-gives 20 bucks discount a month to students for 527 a month w/o washer/dryer

Swan Park- ?

Country Club Apartments at Inver West- furnished apartments for 600 bucks a month, in unit washer dryer, carport, the works . . . they said that a lot of MCO students live there and also some faculty. Can anyone confirm??

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated. I asked the admissions office to send me the housing information but I'm not sure when it'll get here.

I can talk about Vantage Villa and Country Club (both owned by the same management company)... some faculty definitely live @ Country Club, I met an Indian professor @ MUO who lives there when I visited - really nice guy and highly recommended the place. It's really nice there, and close to the school too!

Vantage Villa on the other hand... there's a reason it's so cheap. It's right by Southwyck Mall (which is dying... 50% occupancy last I checked, and right down the road from the Budget Inn - the Toledo Police had to shut it down b/c of the drug problems). They'll give you a hard sell, and it's pretty appealing @ first glance - I actually put down a $100 application fee at this place before I talked with current MUO students and the TPD. I immediately withdrew my app (and lost the $100), but figure a loss now is better than having someone break into my apartment later. =P Again, it's not for personal safety issues, but moreso property safety (i.e. I like to keep my personal belongings).

I'm giving Cinci 'till June 30th to take me off their WL, then I'm going to sign a lease @ either Country Club or Orchard Lakes. If anyone signs a lease before me @ either place, let me know and I can say you referred me - I think you'll get $150 out of it... all I ask is one dinner in return. :)

neuronerd said:

Swan Park- ?

DO NOT LIVE AT SWAN PARK unless you are really broke. Rent was about 380. But it definitely was worth it. Dingy, dirty place- and that was the apartment they were showing! And such a stink... Hallway carpets stained beyond belief. Uck...

Hallm_7 said:
That's awesome! I actually think we talked about you quite a bit. Are you the one that wanted the third floor apartment? It's looking like I'm going to be moving into what is now the model apartment. At the end of July they're moving the model to the unit above the office, so they gave me the unit it is in now. I really loved that complex, and I can't wait to move in either. I won't move up until the first of August, but when I do I'll be sure to get in touch with you.

No, I didnt' want 3rd floor- I'm in the second floor in one of the buildings (second from bottom - I"m not sure if they call it the 1st floor and the one below it ground level). Awww, I wanted the model!! :)

Ohio real estate prices are not California nor Chgo. You should be able to find a decent apt for 500-575. including heat for a student. It is probabally 3-4 times that amount in chgo. As for location....it appears that off I 80/90 exit 59, Heatherdowns rd. or hwy 475 exit 23 (approx.). Also, I looked under www.toledoblade for the crime statistics and key. They have everything listed, alittle too much listed- very tedious reading.

These are the apts. I came up with so far:

heather hills
valley stream
heathbriar
glendale
southwyck Park (2 different locations)
mossing
pinetree
the ridge

Any opinions regarding safety, ect. ?

what about the apartments across the street from MCO? how much are they? are they nice?

Unless you have no car and must walk to school stay away from the ones adjacent to MUO. In general, MUO students live to the South or West of MUO.

Has anyone received their awards letters from Financial Aid yet? It seems like it should be about time for them to send that stuff out, and I was just curious to see if anyone else had received them.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Haven't gotten anything as of yet. Did they say they would be sen tout mid-June or we would receive them mid-June? Either way, they're pretty slow about this stuff.

what about the apartments across the street from MCO? how much are they? are they nice?

From what I've heard, those apartments aren't too great although they are cheap as hell, somehting like 350-400 a month for a 1 bedroom but I remember reading past posts about how it's not the safest in terms of personal items getting taken etc.

I had a question about the MUO website, is there a student/faculty directory that lists people's email addressses or something like most undergrads have?

Vomitonme said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Haven't gotten anything as of yet. Did they say they would be sen tout mid-June or we would receive them mid-June? Either way, they're pretty slow about this stuff.

The date June 27th is sticking out in my mind--I believe that they will be mailed out that day.

I just checked, its definitely the 27th that they'll be mailed out---promissary notes for school-administered aid have to be signed by August 5th :)

what's wrong with apartments? who said they steal stuff?

its toledo...how bad can it be? I dont see the point of driving to school in snow from 15 minutes away if i can live right there.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the average rent for the toledo area yet.

I'm wondering if it nears 500 or 600 because there's a huge difference there.

Is anyone here besides alanlee thinking of Orchard Lakes? Or apartments farther than that? I kinda don't want to drive 15 minutes in snow for an anatomy final.

Country Club doesn't cover the utilities. That's a big ouch for me. Out of my budget. But Orchard Lakes covers it 30 bucks more a month. It also has month to month carport leases for 25 bucks a month. . . . If anyone cares. . .

Alright folks, I'll get back to you on Sat. with what I find . . .
I would much appreciate any information on MCO students and where they live and the rent costs. But I think that everyone is in the same boat as I am.

Back to shopping.

bananachip said:

its toledo...how bad can it be? I dont see the point of driving to school in snow from 15 minutes away if i can live right there.

There are some pretty rough areas in Toledo, just like any other large city. I lived near downtown for a couple months one summer, and for a couple weeks there was a gang war raging outside. Everyday there was someone else that was murdered, including one teenager who was shot and killed in a drive-by at a gas station where I regularly filled up.....talk about a reality check. While the MCO area definitely isn't as bad as those areas, it isn't the greatest area either. We're just trying to give you some pointers on places where you will feel safe. I can't imagine waking up every morning worried about your car being broken into or stolen. Also, car insurance rates are significantly higher in high-crime areas of the city, so while you may pay less for rent you may pay a lot more for car insurance.

bananachip said:

Who = two Toledo Police officers I spoke with while I was looking at where to live. They explicitly told me that there's a strong correlation between # of break-ins and drug activity, and there's increased drug activity near Southwyck Mall.

I'll agree that Toledo isn't nearly as bad as some other cities (Detroit, parts of Cincinnati and Cleveland, etc.), but as Hallm_7 said, I'd rather live somewhere where I don't have to worry about my apartment/car being broken into. :)

yeah, that doesnt sound good...i remember speaking to some students who told me lots of MCO students lived there, and i saw some guy washing his porsche SUV in the parking lot, so i guess i thought it was a decent place. I might come up sometime and check it out...but as I am on waitlists, like many of you, i am hesitant to sign any leases just this second.

yeah MCO seems to be a bit tardy with their info...other schools mailed out finaid info weeks ago.

bananachip said:
and i saw some guy washing his porsche SUV in the parking lot, so i guess i thought it was a decent place.

Is it just me or is seeing a Porsche SUV in an apartment parking lot that leases for $350/month a little suspect? :laugh: That may have been the best indicator as to what type of "businessmen" live there.... :eek:

Hallm_7 said:
Is it just me or is seeing a Porsche SUV in an apartment parking lot that leases for $350/month a little suspect? :laugh: That may have been the best indicator as to what type of "businessmen" live there.... :eek:

haha, he was indian or something, he looked like he'd probably be a professor there or something because he was older.

Anyway, i think you guys are overreacting. I guess i am male and from the city, so the notion of crime doesn't seem to scare me much, especially after I saw the apartments from the outside. Usually, dangerous places look dangerous. The aparments had looked well maintained to me from outside, so I will check them out. At least I know why you guys are looking elsewhere...i was wondering why people were not treating those apartments as unofficial MCO dorms.

The rents in toldedo are really cheap. There is no difference between paying 450 a month and 550, both are like 1/4 of the price of an apartment in the city.

Are you guys bringing 4 wheel drive cars? How cold is toledo? Do i need like 10 sweaters?

Are you from California? You mentioning that rent is 1/4 the price of other apartments kinda tipped me off. I don't know how you all in California deal with the housing prices, so moving to Ohio (well, actually anywhere b/w the coasts) is going to be much, much cheaper. What's really amazing is that Toledo has slightly higher real estate prices than what I am used to.

It will definitely get very cold in Toledo, and you'll need multiple sweaters unless you want to wear the same thing everyday. For January (which is the coldest month) highs on average only reach freezing, so there are many days where it will never get above 30 degrees, several days where it will never be above 20, and even a few that won't reach 10. I'm not going to have a 4-wheel drive simply because I don't want to buy a new car. The road crews in Toledo are probably pretty good since they deal with this all the time, so I would think the roads will be cleared pretty quickly after it snows. I don't know if you've ever driven in snow/ice, but snow actually isn't that bad to drive on. Ice (especially freezing rain) on the other hand is horrible. Just take it slow and give yourself plenty of stopping distance and you'll be fine.

Does anyone have information on the Arlington South apts. Are the apts. nice? Is the area okay? Thanks.

yeah they havent sent us anything. I need to know if I need a car because, i dont have one and i can't afford one, haha.

Here's the bus info for toledo. There's a route that goes to MCO (32R or something), so I would think that as long as you can get to there or live close to the line, you'd probably be okay without a car.

http://www.tarta.com/routes.htm

nyc, I'm heading out to Toledo tomorrow and I'll check out those apartments for you. I don't live there, and someone who does can probably tell you better than I can, but you can have my first impression. :)

any of you guys still holding out for a better schools? this waitlist stuff is killing me.

bananachip said:
yeah they havent sent us anything. I need to know if I need a car because, i dont have one and i can't afford one, haha.

I wouldn't say that you absolutely NEED a car since there is a bus line that goes to a lot of the plazas around the area, downtown, and to MUO, but since you will most likely be living in the suburbs, it will probably make your life a lot easier to have one. Bus fare is likely a dollar or less, which is good, but I'm not sure how convenient the hours are since Toledo is not a HUGE city, or how many transfers, etc. you would have to make to get to stores and other places you'd want to go to.

So I just got back from Toledo today. I must have gone to over 11 complexes. Every time I saw a complex, I would stop there. I've decided on Orchard Lakes although it's quite a drive from the school. After living in Berkeley slums I wanted a new place and Orchard Lakes is no more than 3 years old. It's really quiet and you only have one neighbor, across the hall. All the appliances are new, something that I definitely cannot say for some of the other places. I went to all the places on my list except for Swan Creek and another because of good SDN advice.

From my experience there, I agree with SDN posters . . .the places really close to MCO like Deerfield Run, Hunter's Ridge where not good at all. It seemed loud and there were people just hanging out outside with a million kids in the street. I don't know, I didn't see any students there and they swore that federal law prohibits giving away that information (even though all the other complexes told me the percentage of students).

I went to the admissions office and talked with some students . . .a lot live in alt stone apartments and heather hills (they said something like 20%). But I didn't want a first floor apartment that was available. Heather Hills was filling up fast so if you're thinking about there, go check it out fast. Their waiting list is growing.

Anyway, now to the important stuff . . . .while I was chit chatting with the students, I noticed that they were stuffing F Aid envelopes. I talked with Bea and she said that they are getting ready to send them out. So they are coming folks . . .finally.

If anyone is still looking for places, I can answer some stuff. But remember that I was only there for two days.

anyone know anything about MCO's orientation? what do they do? do they read our names out like individually during the white coat thing, or is it like graduation from a big public high school, with no love?

i think i'll bring a car for the 3rd year...i dont think we need one for the first two years.

and we get our letters soon...yay! more loans!

neuronerd

Thanks for the heads up about the different places. Did you check out any of these apartments?

Amhurst
Heathergate Club Apartments
Southwyck Park Apartments

I didn't check out Amhurst closely but I know it's directly adjacent to Heather Hills (in fact my apartment will overlook the fence the two apartments. It looks nice, and it's in a good neighborhood.

You can mark off Heathergate Club Apartments for sure though. I went by and talked to them because they looked nice and new. However, when I went in and told the lady that I was an MCO student she said they couldn't rent to us. It ends up Heathergate Club is subsidized housing, and they can't rent to full-time students receiving federal aid. So that basically knocks all of us out. The only way any MCO students could live there was if the student had either another PART-TIME roommate or a roommate that didn't go to school anywhere.

bananachip said:

I've been MIA for a while, sorry. I live in the condos next to Heather Hills (at Reynolds & Heatherdowns) right off of the turnpike. As far as commute goes, I live in a better area than right next to school and it's 2.5 miles away. If I hit every light red, it takes about 12 minutes. I haven't had any safety issues, either.

I'll be checking back more often, now, if you have any last minute questions :)

alanlee said:
Who = two Toledo Police officers I spoke with while I was looking at where to live. They explicitly told me that there's a strong correlation between # of break-ins and drug activity, and there's increased drug activity near Southwyck Mall.

I'll agree that Toledo isn't nearly as bad as some other cities (Detroit, parts of Cincinnati and Cleveland, etc.), but as Hallm_7 said, I'd rather live somewhere where I don't have to worry about my apartment/car being broken into. :)

That's really sad to hear. When I came to Toledo in 1995, the Southwyck mall was going strong. It had a huge decline between then and about 2000 during which Montgomery Ward's pulled out and most of its wing went with it. The area around Southwyck used to be one of the best parts of Toledo, since it's in the outer part of the city near the suburbs.

Vomitonme said:
neuronerd

Thanks for the heads up about the different places. Did you check out any of these apartments?

Amhurst
Heathergate Club Apartments
Southwyck Park Apartments

Hi there. I also went to Heathergate like hallm_7 and they told me the same thing . . no students. Amhurst was also in a nice neighborhood and close to other places that have MCO students. I went to see a model apartment on Friday but they were closed all day for some reason.

I went to several places near the Southwyck mall, I can't remember exactly which one the Southwyck Park apartments were (I'll check after work) but I did go there and I did not like it as much as the places on Heatherdowns. I pretty much thought Heatherdowns was the student street. First of all, there was construction on Reynolds Rd where most of those apartments near the mall are located off of and there was a traffic jam in the middle of the day on Friday. But people were telling me that Reynolds is a crowded street anyway. Second, the people there did not seem like students, they were just hanging around outside and stuff and looking at me as I drove past. I didn't like it but maybe I'm not used to that. The apartments there were not as old as the ones near the school. Those had really really gross appliances. But these were not new either.

I think that if you guys are going apartment shopping, you will get a good idea of the type of place by it's location. Every street seemed to have the same type of complexes (just about) so you would just pick a location really.

Hope this helps.

:) Hi everyone, I will definitely be attending MUO this August, however I will be doing the 5 year program. I was accepted to other schools, but because of out of state tuition and closeness to my family I decided to attend MUO. I am very excited to attend MUO and I am not ashamed of being placed in the 5 year program. Is any other posted admitted into the 5 year program? Thanks a lot guys and congrats on everything!