MCO Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KatyGrl1 said:
SFBear, did you go to school in the Bay Area? I graduated from Cal last May and have been living in the City this past year. Looks like I'm going to be joining you all in Toledo soon. I'm not giving up hope at my waitlisted school, but doesn't look like its going to happen.

Yep, i graduated from cal in fall of 2001. Live it up in the city while you can! I have enjoyed actually seeing the sun in summer since i've been here, though. where are you hoping to get off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, someone may have mentioned this on here already, but I'll say it anyway. For those who want cable internet Buckeye Cable is offering a deal now for $19.99 a month for 1.5Mbps for a year. That includes the cable modem, installation fee, and anything else. Also, you don't have to be a cable TV subscriber to get this rate. This promotion ends on July 31st, so if you want it you must call them by midnight sunday night. You don't have to have it installed by them, you just have to subscribe to it. It's normally $29.99 a month BTW.

Has anyone heard any news from the David Ryerson Memorial Scholarship? Just wondering, see you guys in two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone made their ID yet? what documents did you have to bring with you?

bananachip said:
has anyone made their ID yet? what documents did you have to bring with you?

I got mine today (woo hoo I'm a real med student now!). All that you need is some form of official ID - driver's or state license, plus a smiling face :)

For anyone who hasn't set up internet yet @ Orchard Lakes, you'll get free installation if my roommate and I refer you. PM me for our info. See y'all in a few weeks!

anyone living at fox chase?

I got mine today (woo hoo I'm a real med student now!). All that you need is some form of official ID - driver's or state license, plus a smiling face

Well, I'm glad somebody was able to get one, lol! All I keep getting is the runaround. Campus police sent me upstairs to Student Affairs, who told me that I needed all my paperwork in, and my fees paid, and that it would be done during orientation (ARRRGH!) :eek:

I emailed Ashley Dixon to get a straight answer, and she wrote this back:

Jason,
Hi and thanks! I've been in the midst of the chaos and have been told a million different things, but apparently you have to have all of your transcripts/diplomas/first born child into Admissions before you're a fully registered student. I wouldn't worry about it and would just get my picture taken the first day of Orientation. I'm so sorry about the confusion! Take care!
Ashley

Maybe I've just been unlucky and keep talking to people who have been misinformed. Should I try a third time to get the ID?

I got my ID badge this past wednesday (aug 3rd).

what did you do to get your badge made? Show diploma i am sure, also send transcripts...what else?

bananachip said:
what did you do to get your badge made? Show diploma i am sure, also send transcripts...what else?

i sent in my transcripts and brought in my diploma awhile ago. i also called the police department beforehand just to let them know i was coming to get my ID badge. the officer said i was "already in the system" and that all i'd need is a photo ID. so i went in the next day with my drivers license and it was easy as pie.

HRowPhern said:
Well, I'm glad somebody was able to get one, lol! All I keep getting is the runaround. Campus police sent me upstairs to Student Affairs, who told me that I needed all my paperwork in, and my fees paid, and that it would be done during orientation (ARRRGH!) :eek:

I emailed Ashley Dixon to get a straight answer, and she wrote this back:

Jason,
Hi and thanks! I've been in the midst of the chaos and have been told a million different things, but apparently you have to have all of your transcripts/diplomas/first born child into Admissions before you're a fully registered student. I wouldn't worry about it and would just get my picture taken the first day of Orientation. I'm so sorry about the confusion! Take care!
Ashley

Maybe I've just been unlucky and keep talking to people who have been misinformed. Should I try a third time to get the ID?

Wow, sorry I made it sound to so easy :)- I guess I already had my transcript and diploma in, so there weren't any questions asked. Although I didn't sign my first born away, I didn't see anywhere in that newsletter that stipulated all of those things had to be done beforehand.

I'd wait until Orientation then, if there's such red tape required, and if Ashley Dixon said it was ok :)

BTW- CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL NEXT WEEK!!! I'm so excited and nervous, in equal proportions...

I sent in my transcripts a while ago but I haven't shown them my diploma yet (I still don't get why they need to see the original), and I had no problem getting my ID badge and parking permit.

Has anyone gotten a schedule for next week yet? Like one that says where we're supposed to go on Monday morning?

Members don't see this ad :)
sfbear said:
I sent in my transcripts a while ago but I haven't shown them my diploma yet (I still don't get why they need to see the original), and I had no problem getting my ID badge and parking permit.

Has anyone gotten a schedule for next week yet? Like one that says where we're supposed to go on Monday morning?

I really hope we get a schedule soon. I know orientation starts on Mon the 15th, but does anyone know where we're supposed to go and what time to be there?

Thank you to everyone who posted about the ID badges, I actually went over yesterday and got mine!! I guess that some of us (or maybe just I) was talking to people over there and getting some bad info, but it's all ok now, thanks to your help.

Also, I know for a fact that there is another mailing going out before orientation. The woman in admissions told me this last week when I took my diploma in to be copied.

Has anyone else checked out the bookstore yet? It looks like we need quite a few books for yr 1. But I guess that's not too surprising. See everyone Monday.

Hi Guys! Finally moved in at Orchard Lakes. I'm so excited. I moved in about a week ago. My internet hasn't arrived yet but I'm stealing someone else's wireless for now! I'm hoping to get to the ID office today and become
an official MUOer. We should have a little get together before orientation and once everyone is settled. What do you guys say?

Alanlee, what apartment are you at Orchard Lakes? I'm in 2124 #22. Hope to see you around!!

neuronerd said:
Hi Guys! Finally moved in at Orchard Lakes. I'm so excited. I moved in about a week ago. My internet hasn't arrived yet but I'm stealing someone else's wireless for now! I'm hoping to get to the ID office today and become
an official MUOer. We should have a little get together before orientation and once everyone is settled. What do you guys say?

Alanlee, what apartment are you at Orchard Lakes? I'm in 2124 #22. Hope to see you around!!

I'd be up for that. What time are you planning on heading over to campus today? I've got to take care of some paperwork (residency stuff, diploma) and I want to see if I can get someone to tell me the schedule for next week! I know they're supposed to be mailing stuff out, but it's already tuesday. Maybe a book list too, so I can order some used ones online . . .

sfbear said:
I'd be up for that. What time are you planning on heading over to campus today? I've got to take care of some paperwork (residency stuff, diploma) and I want to see if I can get someone to tell me the schedule for next week! I know they're supposed to be mailing stuff out, but it's already tuesday. Maybe a book list too, so I can order some used ones online . . .

Hey, if you find a booklist, would you mind posting it? Thanks!

All right, so here's what I found out: We meet at 9am at the Health Education Building on Monday. They're putting together a schedule today and will be emailing it out sometime this week. There's no booklist yet, and she said that's because they like to use the newest editions. She said that a lot of times your SOS will share their books and notes with you, though. I did a really quick walk-through in the book store and didn't notice any used books, but I could've missed them. Hopefully we'll get a schedule soon!

neuronerd said:

My roommie (somz) and I are in 2103 #21... It's currently a mess right now, but will be all taken care of by this weekend. =)

I'm all for getting together before orientation... now the thing is finding something to do in Toledo... ;)

hey neuronerd,

as alanlee said, he and i are roommates in orchard lakes as well. did you order internet with arialink? we did, and we're wondering if we're getting normal connection speeds. let us know how it is when you get it up and running. if you haven't placed the order yet, you can refer us when you do and get free activation for yourself.

see everyone soon!

somz said:
hey neuronerd,

as alanlee said, he and i are roommates in orchard lakes as well. did you order internet with arialink? we did, and we're wondering if we're getting normal connection speeds. let us know how it is when you get it up and running. if you haven't placed the order yet, you can refer us when you do and get free activation for yourself.

see everyone soon!

Ah, shoot, I checked Student Doctor a couple of days too late. I did order with Arialink. They are kind of pricey though. Anyway, it's nice to know that you guys are in the complex too.

sfbear said:

oops, wish I saw this earlier. I just got back from the office. Like the previous posts, I asked about orientation schedule and they said that we meet at 9am at the Health Education Building. That's all she said but they will email stuff out soon. I went and got my ID badge also.
Anyway, off to furniture shopping. . .

For all wondering about orientation:

I am a 3rd year, so it was just a few years ago since I had these same questions. On Monday at 9, go through the main doors of the health ed building and they should have something set up there. You won't miss it. If it is not just inside the door, you may have to go down the hall to the left. Don't be nervous, you'll like your classmates. You don't have to dress up in a shirt and tie. Rather, a polo and khakis or shorts is fine. Nobody will say anything and you shouldn't be out of place. Buckeye Cable 1.5mps is the best internet deal for cable internet. I hope this answered a few of your questions!

mazerati said:
For all wondering about orientation:

I am a 3rd year, so it was just a few years ago since I had these same questions. On Monday at 9, go through the main doors of the health ed building and they should have something set up there. You won't miss it. If it is not just inside the door, you may have to go down the hall to the left. Don't be nervous, you'll like your classmates. You don't have to dress up in a shirt and tie. Rather, a polo and khakis or shorts is fine. Nobody will say anything and you shouldn't be out of place. Buckeye Cable 1.5mps is the best internet deal for cable internet. I hope this answered a few of your questions!
hey thanks for the info!

Hey Everyone...I just wanted to add myself to the list of people living at Orchard Lakes, I'm in 2100 #21. I have arialink up and running and I seem to be getting a good speed. I think a get-together before orientation would be nice. See everyone Monday if not before.

Jason

Hi~
I think some M2s are hanging out at a bar in El Camino Real tonight around 9:30pm & everyone's invited.. anyone wanna go over & have a few drinks? i will post more details when i find out~

:D

wOnnieMeow said:
Hi~
I think some M2s are hanging out at a bar in El Camino Real tonight around 9:30pm & everyone's invited.. anyone wanna go over & have a few drinks? i will post more details when i find out~

Ooooh, Mexican restaurant + drinks = my favorite pasttime

:) :)

Count me in!

lizbjrddnr said:
Ooooh, Mexican restaurant + drinks = my favorite pasttime

:) :)

Count me in!

I'm jealous. Although I won't be joining you at MUO this year (I ended up at Ohio State), I am a NW Ohio native and I LOVE Camino Real. It is among the best and more authentic Mexican restaurants I have ever eaten at. If you're into Mexican, another authentic restaurant is El Tipico, down on South Street near the zoo. You really have to be looking for it or you will drive right by. Down sides: they don't do the volume Camino Real does, so it typically takes quite a bit longer to get your food as they prepare most from scratch. The last couple of times I've been there, the consistency hasn't been quite as good as Camino Real.

Please avoid places like Chi-Chi's and Don Pablo's when there are MUCH better mexican restaurants to be had.

Other great Toledo restaurants: Tony Packo's, Hungarian (go downtown to the original for the best atmosphere -the Chicken Paprikash is among my favorites), Tandoor (Indian), Beirut (Italian and Lebanese), Loma Linda, Mexican (used to be really good - now seems to be known for their Margaritas more than their food).

Good luck next week! We start orientation Wednesday.

I have to agree, El Camino Real is the best mexican in town. They have a live Mariachi band that plays, but I'm not sure which nights...it might be only weekends. Also, their margaritas taste great and are usually pretty strong! :p

HRowPhern said:
Also, their margaritas ... are usually pretty strong! :p

Yep, you should have warned me of that BEFORE last night :( hah

So who is organizing the SDN-MUO-2009 pre-orientation get-together??

i nominate lizbjrddnr!

AmyBEMT said:
I'm jealous. Although I won't be joining you at MUO this year (I ended up at Ohio State), I am a NW Ohio native and I LOVE Camino Real. It is among the best and more authentic Mexican restaurants I have ever eaten at. If you're into Mexican, another authentic restaurant is El Tipico, down on South Street near the zoo. You really have to be looking for it or you will drive right by. Down sides: they don't do the volume Camino Real does, so it typically takes quite a bit longer to get your food as they prepare most from scratch. The last couple of times I've been there, the consistency hasn't been quite as good as Camino Real.

Please avoid places like Chi-Chi's and Don Pablo's when there are MUCH better mexican restaurants to be had.

Other great Toledo restaurants: Tony Packo's, Hungarian (go downtown to the original for the best atmosphere -the Chicken Paprikash is among my favorites), Tandoor (Indian), Beirut (Italian and Lebanese), Loma Linda, Mexican (used to be really good - now seems to be known for their Margaritas more than their food).

Good luck next week! We start orientation Wednesday.

AmyB,

Thanks for all the cool recommendations. I'll vouch for the Beirut's food and atmosphere (although slightly higher prices), but I did not find Loma Linda all that great (margaritas were pretty small, and not even served in margarita glasses- so sad).

But don't knock Don Pablos; fake Mexican food has its merits.

Anyone want to try this El Tipico?

Good luck at OSU Amy :)

lizbjrddnr said:
Thanks for all the cool recommendations. I'll vouch for the Beirut's food and atmosphere (although slightly higher prices), but I did not find Loma Linda all that great (margaritas were pretty small, and not even served in margarita glasses- so sad).

Anyone want to try this El Tipico?

NP on the recommendations. Notice I said Loma Linda USED to have good food. I honestly wasn't impressed last time I was there, either. As far as El Tipico - don't hurt me if it's not that great. The first couple of times I ate there, it was awesome, the last couple, mediocre. I'm also not sure if they have a liquor license.

Another great place a little out of Toledo is the Columbian House in Waterville. A little more expensive. A nice place for a more upscale dinner out. In a historic inn with lots of antique decor. Well known for their tomato pudding (which is awesome, believe it or not)

Thanks for the wishes. Have a great time in Toledo.

teh-t said:
i nominate lizbjrddnr!

Haha...

Well since no one is doing it, and a number of people have said they are interested... :)

How about Saturday evening at Don Pablo's on Airport at 23, at 8 PM?
(Cheaper than the authentic stuff, but still good :))
Any better ideas, feel free to let us know :).

Post if you can come, so I can let them know how big a group to expect!!

That sounds like a great plan! I will plan to be there. I also know two girls from my HS that will be our classmates, should I invite them as well?

HRowPhern said:
That sounds like a great plan! I will plan to be there. I also know two girls from my HS that will our classmates, should I invite them as well?

Of course!

lizbjrddnr said:
Haha...

Well since no one is doing it, and a number of people have said they are interested... :)

How about Saturday evening at Don Pablo's on Airport at 23, at 8 PM?
(Cheaper than the authentic stuff, but still good :))
Any better ideas, feel free to let us know :).

Post if you can come, so I can let them know how big a group to expect!!

Hey everyone, Don Pablo's at 8 is still on tonight, so hopefully more people see this now that SDN is back up :)

My IM is my username on here- IM me and I'll give you my cell so we know who we are once we get there!

lizbjrddnr said:
Hey everyone, Don Pablo's at 8 is still on tonight, so hopefully more people see this now that SDN is back up :)

My IM is my username on here- IM me and I'll give you my cell so we know who we are once we get there!

Hey, I'll plan on being there... might be able to drag my roommie along too. I'm a 6' 4" asian guy, kinda hard to miss. :)

Username = my real name.

Yay~ Mexican food~ I will be there!

Won :hardy:

Hi guys! I just got an MUO Interview for the Class of '10 and am so psyched! If anyone wants to share any tips, reasons you chose MUO, things you wish you'd known pre-interview, etc. I would love any advice! :)