MCO Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you should go to a 4 year program man. Any money you're saving will be negated by the 35g's you're losing there, plus the year of lost salary which could be quite significant.

Anyway, if you're scared of failing med school or whatever, you wont, especially since you got into other schools.

Anyway, big ups to you and maybe i'll see ya there.

Members don't see this ad.

HRowPhern said:
Ok, I applied early decision, so I didn't get the whole tour that everyone else got. So I may have some dumb questions that were answered then. I was wondering what the technology situation there. I was plannin to get a laptop for graduation. Is it worth the money? Should I get a Mac or something like a Dell, or does it matter?

Thanks for the help! :D

:cool: There is wireless available across much of campus and they are expanding it. I'm a 2nd year at MCO and I'm glad I have my own computer. If you do get a laptop, get a PC and go with the smallest, lightest thing you can otherwise you won't carry it with you. I would agree that otherwise just save your money and get a desktop for home use.

Looking for used furniture as oppose to renting a truck. Where are the "good' thrift stores near MUO?

Members don't see this ad :)
neuronerd said:
From my experience there, I agree with SDN posters . . .the places really close to MCO like Deerfield Run, Hunter's Ridge where not good at all. It seemed loud and there were people just hanging out outside with a million kids in the street. I don't know, I didn't see any students there and they swore that federal law prohibits giving away that information (even though all the other complexes told me the percentage of students).

So I'm back from Toledo, and I'd have to say I'd agree with this. For nyc who was curious about Arlington South, I did go and check it out. It was pretty run down, all the one bedrooms are on the bottom floor (which is partially below street level), and there are no locks on the building doors so anyone can just walk in. The only upside I saw was that the one bedroom is really large (nearly the same size as the two bedroom). Although I didn't go in the other two, Deerfield run is closer (backs up to arlington south) and looked to be a smaller complex. Both looked better maintained than arlington south, but maybe someone who's been in them can give you better info.

We're going to go with the Country Club apartments, and probably move in about a month. Which reminds me, I'd better get my TB test set up . . .

ds401 said:
Looking for used furniture as oppose to renting a truck. Where are the "good' thrift stores near MUO?

I don't know about thrift stores in Toledo, but they do have the superstores (kmart, walmart) which have cheap furniture - some that's actually decent. and it might be easier to sell it when you leave if you have a matching set.

sfbear said:
Which reminds me, I'd better get my TB test set up . . .

Actually your TWO TB tests. :D I got my first this week and I'll get my second in another week or so.

BTW, I checked in with Fin Aid and they told me to expect award letters late next week.

Hallm_7 said:
Actually your TWO TB tests. :D I got my first this week and I'll get my second in another week or so.

BTW, I checked in with Fin Aid and they told me to expect award letters late next week.

Two tests? I thought we only had to do one. I know it's a two-step test, but it has been a while since I had it done. Like ten years or so. Guess it's time to check the forms . . . .

That's great news about the fin aid stuff - it's about time!

Yeah, on the form it has a row for PPD #1 with a place for date given and date read. Then below that it has a row for PPD #2 (1-3 weeks later) with a place for date given and a date read. I guess they really wanna be sure we don't have TB. Just curious, does anyone know what would happen if we tested positive for TB?

Hallm_7 said:
Yeah, on the form it has a row for PPD #1 with a place for date given and date read. Then below that it has a row for PPD #2 (1-3 weeks later) with a place for date given and a date read. I guess they really wanna be sure we don't have TB. Just curious, does anyone know what would happen if we tested positive for TB?

Well, I'm almost positive that they will first send you for a chest x-ray to determine whether you A.) respond with a false positive or have a reaction to the TB test (I know someone who had this happen who works in a hospital and she has to have a chest x-ray every year basically since she doesn't get an accurate skin test reading) B.) have been EXPOSED to TB C.) actually have TB.

A person who has been exposed/infected with TB but doesn't actually HAVE the disease will usually be given preventative therapy which takes a long time-months to a year- to complete. Someone who actually has the disease often only has to stay in the hospital for a few days and is given a lengthy treatment. You have to stay out of any health-care related work setting until you're considerered to not be infectious any more.

Hallm_7 said:
Just curious, does anyone know what would happen if we tested positive for TB?

Because I grew up in Taiwan, I was exposed to TB as a kid, so I come up positive anytime I have a TB test (which means I don't have to take one anymore though :D ).

I found out when I was like 13 (and wanted to volunteer @ the hospital), so they made me get a chest x-ray and put me on anti-TB treatment for 9 months (isoniazid). This was 10 years ago, but when I was working as a paramedic, all they required from me was a clean chest x-ray and documentation of my 9-month treatment. I think MUO wants the same thing.

No biggie (it's not like I have TB), and I don't have to be unnecessarily poked once a year. :)

ds401 said:
Wanna buy a really nice futon?

Hi,
If you have not found a roommate, I am a second year living in a condo with another friend and we are looking for one more roommate. It is fully furnished downstairs, all you need is bedroom stuff. It is a great location for a great price. If you are interested email me at [email protected]

ds401 said:
bump
I'm very interested in this too. It's going to cost $900 to rent a trucj from NYC. So I think it's better for me to just rent furniture there.

Members don't see this ad :)
nyc25 said:
bump
I'm very interested in this too. It's going to cost $900 to rent a trucj from NYC. So I think it's better for me to just rent furniture there.

I think that there are quite a few near campus--I remember seeing some thrift stores/second hand stores near campus last summer in plazas but I can't recall exactly what streets they're on--I'll have to search it in Yahoo Yellow Pages. You may be better off looking at Salvation Army/Goodwill type of stores as opposed to garage or estate sales, since many of those places will deliver your furniture if you don't have a van/truck/station wagon. If you're just looking at furniture to last a few years until residency, Target, Value City furniture, and even Walmart have some inexpensive and not-so-bad stuff that is easy to assemble and comes in boxes that you can get home pretty easily no matter what kind of vehicle you're driving.

Speaking of furniture, I really need a couch and can't seem to find one under $400 anywhere--and thats one piece of furniture I would rather not buy used. Any suggestions out there, future MUO-ers????

Just got my FinAid packet in the mail today, June 23. Anyone else hear back?

Hellooooo everyone!!! I am going to MUO this fall. I found out in March, but I rarely get on this site. Anyway, I got an apt very near the school (Hunter's Ridge) because I want to be able to walk every day. But some people on here are kinda freakin' me out about it not being a good area...I am a single female and I live alone...should I really be concerned for my safety?

Hey all of my future classmates! I hope you're enjoying the last vestiges of your childhood this summer :) (jk).

I just moved into my apartment in Heather Hills, so PM or IM or whatever me once you get to Toledo and I'd love to hang out.

Oh yeah, if any of our "elders" (i.e. M2,3,4s) are checking this thread out, give me a holler too!

Adios

anyone know how apartments near University of Toledo are like? and how far they might be from MCO.

UT to MUO will range somewhere betweeon 10 and 15 minutes depending on which side of campus you're on and what time of day. There are several redlights on Byrne and Dorr and they can take forever to get through in the mornings with traffic.

Liz,
I'm moving into Heather Hills on the 5th of August, so I'll definitely get in touch with you. I know there are a couple more MUOers moving up that same weekend, so we can all get together sometime after that...maybe on Monday so that we can all get a chance to settly in.

Hallm_7 said:
UT to MUO will range somewhere betweeon 10 and 15 minutes depending on which side of campus you're on and what time of day. There are several redlights on Byrne and Dorr and they can take forever to get through in the mornings with traffic.

Liz,
I'm moving into Heather Hills on the 5th of August, so I'll definitely get in touch with you. I know there are a couple more MUOers moving up that same weekend, so we can all get together sometime after that...maybe on Monday so that we can all get a chance to settly in.

OOooh maybe this calls for a party...

Hi guys, I'm moving in that weekend too. But to Orchard Lakes. I would love to meet up with you guys. keep us updated!!

"I don't think MUO is competitive at all. I think they told us at our interview that the first two years are pass/fail. Clinicals are honors/high pass/pass etc. The students who were there on my interview day said they didn't even know their rank and didn't care to. For the purposes of AOA, the class is ranked, but I think the students are only allowed to find their class rank at the end of each year. I have a friend who is a M-3 at MUO - I will ask her. Actually, maybe I will try and get her to follow this thread and weigh in as appropriate."

Hey, guys. I'm going to be an M2 at MUO this year. I did my undergrad in NYC and am from Ohio originally. Amy, just to clear up any confusion, Y1 & 2 are F, P, HP, & H just like years 3 & 4 are. I chose MUO over Cincy primarily because of rumors I'd heard of the crazy competitive nature of Cincy. Class of 2008 at MUO is VERY laid back and not very competitive. The work is extremely challenging, needless to say, but the people are great. The city does suck, however. I'm coming from Cleveland and NYC, so I'm a bit spoiled from that end. My friends from Cali (San Diego, San Fran -- there seem to be a lot of them) are pretty much stifled by the small city atmosphere. However, apartments are cheap and cost of living is really low. My largish apartment: $400.

A word about the curriculum. The work is annoyingly hard, which is true of any med school. So get sleep NOW. The MUO professors for the most part are great and really easy to talk to and get help from. You'll be studying almost every day after class for many hours, so just make sure you're comfortable with the actual environment at MUO. I kind of wish I had chosen a more traditional (architecture-wise) campus and a large city. But I digress. The structure of subject matter is well done, with a regional approach for anatomy and separate block for biochem and genetics. Virtual slides are also convenient (when they are working!) and owning a computer is probably a good idea because of the direction that study materials are headed in. Overall, a very midwest environment so be aware of that. Any questions, write me.

Thanks for the great post/advice to us soon-to-be MS 1's abefromann! :) I PM'd you....

Hi~ I was wondering if any M1 girls are looking for roommate. I'm doing my apt search right now & probably get a 2 bed/2 bath place to share. Let me know if you are interested. Thanx ~ :)

I was checking out all the utilities and what they would cost for me to setup in Toledo. I think I'm going to use Buckeye Express as my internet provider and while I was on the site I came across a referral program. Has anyone already moved to Toledo that uses Buckeye Express Internet? If so then we can refer you and you'll get a free month of service. Maybe we can organize a little ring of referrals so that everyone who signs up can get someone else on here a free month. Save a little money for all of us.

While we're talking about utilities has anyone checked out cable prices? It's $59.99 for the most basic digital cable from Buckeye Cable (there is a $12.99 plan from that gives you the local channels on cable) which is 60-something channels. I checked on Dish Network and you can get the same number of channels (including locals) for $31.99, so I think that's the way I'm going. I don't think I could do without some level of cable to watch in the mornings and I've gotta be able to watch college football and basketball later on.

Hallm_7 said:
Has anyone already moved to Toledo that uses Buckeye Express Internet? If so then we can refer you and you'll get a free month of service. Maybe we can organize a little ring of referrals so that everyone who signs up can get someone else on here a free month. Save a little money for all of us.

While we're talking about utilities has anyone checked out cable prices? It's $59.99 for the most basic digital cable from Buckeye Cable (there is a $12.99 plan from that gives you the local channels on cable) which is 60-something channels. I checked on Dish Network and you can get the same number of channels (including locals) for $31.99, so I think that's the way I'm going. I don't think I could do without some level of cable to watch in the mornings and I've gotta be able to watch college football and basketball later on.

Yep, I've got Buckeye- Anyone wants a referral, PM or IM me; that'd be great.

Bah, the local cable's enough for me... If you get internet with them, you pay x bucks a month for it. If you get any kind of cable with them, you pay $10 less per month on the internet. So with the local cable (12 bucks) + internet service, the cable only comes out to ~$2/month, compared to what you would have to pay them if you just got internet with them (12 bucks - 10 bucks). Not a bad deal. (Although it took a couple of tries for them to explain that mess to me)

Besides, with the local cable you get all the Jerry Springer you want!

:laugh:

hi all, i just wanted to subscribe to this thread and couldnt figure another way to aside from posting. I'm still waiting for this waitlist to dwindle down, and hopefully join you guys.

While we're talking about utilities has anyone checked out cable prices? It's $59.99 for the most basic digital cable from Buckeye Cable (there is a $12.99 plan from that gives you the local channels on cable) which is 60-something channels. I checked on Dish Network and you can get the same number of channels (including locals) for $31.99, so I think that's the way I'm going. I don't think I could do without some level of cable to watch in the mornings and I've gotta be able to watch college football and basketball later on.[/QUOTE]

Hate the be the bearer of bad news here, but I just found out today that I am not even allowed to have a satellite dish at my apt. complex :mad: , as it has to be attached to a building which I do not own. CALL your place to find out BEFORE you order satellite TV!

Yeah, I should've told you that.....but I didn't even think about you not having a balcony.

Legally, if you have a balcony the landlord cannot keep you from getting a satellite as long as it is within a set size. There was a Satellite Owners Billl of Rights passed in the late 90s that permits any renter to have a satellite dish on any balcony or courtyard that's under their control. There's a link on the websites of the dish companies linking to the bill.

Ah, the perks of having a balcony....I'm gonna stick with (very) basic cable for the first couple months, then upgrade if I feel like it.

Oh, and re: student loans and stuff in case you weren't sure yet: Nelnet seems like the best option out there (I mentioned THE/Northstar before)--you can also get all of your private loans through them if you need it (you can call the 1-800 number or apply online). Everyone has to go through an entrance interview during orientation, and any loan money not given directly to the school for tuition will be sent as a check to us either the same week classes start or the following week. It's given as a lump sum 2x a year (the beginning of each semester). I'm don't know how I feel about this yet as I'm not sure I trust myself to budget well enough to make one payment last for 4 months, but I guess we're all in the same boat.

When do we have to get those orange and blue forms back into the financial aid office?

Hallm_7 said:
When do we have to get those orange and blue forms back into the financial aid office?

I read a while back on the MUO site that master promissary (sp?) notes are due back on August 5th--I'm not sure but I'm assuming that means all Stafford, Perkins, etc. forms need to be in by then so we can get our tuition paid + living expenses ASAP.

what have you guys received from MUO so far? I have received heath form, fin aid stuff, and a single MUO newsletter detailing how to rent an apartment.

Are they planning to send us more detailed information? Its kind of weird not to get more specific stuff...schools that waitlisted me actually sent huge packets with everything you need in them, so thats not fair i guess. Doesnt orientation start in like a month?

That is all I have received from them. The newsletters from last year are available on the MUO website on the orientation page. From their dates, it looks like one was sent out every week last year starting in late May.

Also, I have made several phone calls and trips to the campus to try to get an ID badge made. Finally, two ladies from student affairs told me that this would be taken care of during orientation, despite what the website indicated (i.e. that it should be done prior to orientation). If anyone knows any more about that, please share :)

That's all I've gotten too. I've sent everything back in except the Financial Aid stuff, and that's going out tomorrow.

I really wish I could get my hands on a list of required and recommended textbooks so I can buy them used online. Anyone know where I could get a list like that? I did that a few semesters in college, and I'm guessing I saved $500 that way.

everyone is making ID's during orientation this year? thats good if that is the case, saves a trip.

anyone living at the oasis at inver-west?

Anybody know of any MCO students living in the downtown area? I was thinking of living an apartment building downtown. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last year I had planned on living in downtown. However, during the winters, it is a pain to drive to school. Especially when you have classes at 8am. I do know some students who live in downtown and are quite content with living there. I chose to live right next to campus because of the convenience. After class, I like to go home to watch tv, go back to school to study, and then home to sleep. Makes it easy that way.

DJGJ said:
Anybody know of any MCO students living in the downtown area? I was thinking of living an apartment building downtown. Any suggestions?

Thanks

somz said:
anyone living at the oasis at inver-west?

We checked it out and thought it was really nice - we were seriously considering it. i remember they did say some students live there. we ended up at the country club, though, because they had a great deal going where you got one month free and $100 off rent every month - couldn't really turn that down. we just moved in and i really like our apartment. a bit cozier than my last (i was living in a flat), but the location is great. we're in the back corner with our balcony over-looking the rough of the golf course (all trees and grass) and it's been really quiet and peaceful so far. no garage, but covered parking at least. no internet yet - my connection now is at the mercy of one wireless connection that's pretty far away. i never knew you could connect with such low signal strength, but i'm not about to disconnect now! oh - we're using sbc for our internet but they take forever to set up an appointment so if you want to use them, call at least two weeks before you move in to set it up.
it's weird that i'm in toledo now - it feels like i'm on a vacation and heading back to sf soon, but i guess it'll take time to sink in.
does anyone know what the orientation schedule is like? do they want us all day, every day or it more like a few hours here and there?

lizbjrddnr said:
Yep, I've got Buckeye- Anyone wants a referral, PM or IM me; that'd be great.

Bah, the local cable's enough for me... If you get internet with them, you pay x bucks a month for it. If you get any kind of cable with them, you pay $10 less per month on the internet. So with the local cable (12 bucks) + internet service, the cable only comes out to ~$2/month, compared to what you would have to pay them if you just got internet with them (12 bucks - 10 bucks). Not a bad deal. (Although it took a couple of tries for them to explain that mess to me)

Besides, with the local cable you get all the Jerry Springer you want!

:laugh:

I called them today and they did not explain the service quite that way. I was told that regular internet service without other services from them (ie. cable TV) is $29.99. If the local cable service (twenty something local channels) is added then the price of the internet would be $19.99 plus local cable service (the cheapest option so far is $12.15). So the total would be around $31. If anyone knows of a cheaper package out there for cable modem and TV please let me know. Thanks everyone.

nyc25 said:
I called them today and they did not explain the service quite that way. I was told that regular internet service without other services from them (ie. cable TV) is $29.99. If the local cable service (twenty something local channels) is added then the price of the internet would be $19.99 plus local cable service (the cheapest option so far is $12.15). So the total would be around $31. If anyone knows of a cheaper package out there for cable modem and TV please let me know. Thanks everyone.

No, that's what I meant...

29.99 versus 32.14 is about 2 dollars difference.

Good luck :)

sfbear said:
We checked it out and thought it was really nice - we were seriously considering it. i remember they did say some students live there. we ended up at the country club, though, because they had a great deal going where you got one month free and $100 off rent every month - couldn't really turn that down. we just moved in and i really like our apartment. a bit cozier than my last (i was living in a flat), but the location is great. we're in the back corner with our balcony over-looking the rough of the golf course (all trees and grass) and it's been really quiet and peaceful so far. no garage, but covered parking at least. no internet yet - my connection now is at the mercy of one wireless connection that's pretty far away. i never knew you could connect with such low signal strength, but i'm not about to disconnect now! oh - we're using sbc for our internet but they take forever to set up an appointment so if you want to use them, call at least two weeks before you move in to set it up.
it's weird that i'm in toledo now - it feels like i'm on a vacation and heading back to sf soon, but i guess it'll take time to sink in.
does anyone know what the orientation schedule is like? do they want us all day, every day or it more like a few hours here and there?

SFBear, did you go to school in the Bay Area? I graduated from Cal last May and have been living in the City this past year. Looks like I'm going to be joining you all in Toledo soon. I'm not giving up hope at my waitlisted school, but doesn't look like its going to happen.

Does anyone know when they are going to send information regarding convocation? I know it is on August 18, but I have not received anything.

dude, i don't even know when tuition is due. i really wish we'd get more information. i kind of expected several, huge envelopes in the mail by now.

yeah its strange. its ok i guess, i'll be there on the 15th, just dont know what time or where...

Well, I just got a large envelope in the mail from MUO filled w/ more info regarding getting our ID badges, etc today, so I feel a bit better about starting school.

Looking through the roommate list... how many of us are there from CA?? Seems to be a lot!

Glad I finally got some more info--I was starting to feel a little in the dark about orientation and stuff too. I noticed that there are 5 tentative exam days for the first 11 week block, though, which I'm actually pretty pleased about because a bunch of med student friends of mine have much fewer than that and say that they'd rather have that than their 2-3 HUGE tests every block. I love how the roomate list reads like personal ads!! :laugh:

i didn't get mine yet =(

didn't we already fill out the SOS form? Or is that my deja vu from seeing it online before?