MCPHS-Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wusiwug04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I just found out about this forum yesterday, so I'm still new to this thing. Anyhow, I got an interview invitation for MCP-Boston last week. The interview is for potential placement in second year though I applied as a transfer student. Has anyone fall into the same situation?

Also, if anyone went to the interview, how was the overall experience there?I'd really appreciate if you can tell me about it. The letter indicates that there will be a writing sample exercise. How much time do they give for this writing exercise? Please reply to my post if you have any inputs.

Thanks you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

hi wusiwug04,
Well, i'm still waiting for MCPHS to grant me the interview. Like you, i'm applying as a transfer student. So, i can't really help you out answering your question. Just want to drop a few lines to ask you to help me out when you finished your interview. Let me know how it goes and what the experience would be like. I really appreciate it. Thanks

how did the interview go? have you heard back? Accepted? Wait list? Just curious. I've been wait listed and was wondering how many have been...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was notified of my third year transfer acceptance back in February, and my interview was in december. The interview went very well. Be prepared for a 45-minute 2 page hand written essay and two seperate interviews from faculty members.

I got accepted as a second year transfer.

Scanlon.j, will you be going to MCP?

No, I got accepted into Northeastern University also. I want to go there instead of MCP because Northeastern's program is more designed for clinical pharmacy, and MCP's program is more designed for the community pharmacist.

Scalon,

Is it true that Northeastern University specializes more in clinical pharmacy? Where did you find this information, may I ask? Do you know whether its co-op education is really living up to its claim?

Also, isn't Northeastern University's pharmacy program considered an undergraduate since it's a six-year program? I was told that one would be considered an undergrad pharmacy student even if one is in the sixth year at Northeastern Uni. If that is the case, doesn't it affect your "private" loans borrowing ability since there is a difference between being a GRADUATE and an UNDERGRADUATE pharmacy student (because if you are a grad. student, you won't need a co-signer if you have ok credit; whereas being an undergraduate, you will most likely need a cosigner)???? Moreover, being an undergrad, you will get to take out a total aggregate Stafford loans, both sub- and unsubsidized, of approximately $46,000. A grad student, on the other hand, can take out about $189,000 total, with $46,000 from undergrad years being combined with this $189,000 grand total, of course. Please advise and correct me if I am wrong. :)

BTW, have they told you the year you will be transferring in yet? And how hard is it to get in Northeastern as a transfer student? Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Northeastern is actually quite difficult to get into because it is located in a major city, and they only have between 10-20 seats available each year. I don't know about the federal loans limit, but I allready have finished a B.S. in biology, and I have 30,000 in private loans. I have never used a cosigner. I have good credit, but those loans were from my undergrad years. Years 1-5 is considered undergrad, but your last year is considered your professional year. I have talked to various pharmacists in the area and the faculty at both schools, and they will tell you that Northeastern has a reputation for producing clinical pharmacists and MCPHS has a reputation for commnity pharmacists

Oh yeah, I will be a third year transfer

scanlon,

Thank you for responding. Well, I also got accepted to Northeastern U. as a transfer student for Fall 2004, but they have not informed me of my transfer status yet because I need to inform them of the prereqs updates. Hopefully they will let me know soon.

I have been searching for private loans since I need about $8,000-$10,000 to cover my room/board/expenses. Did Northeastern U. send you the financial aid award letter yet? Is it all loans? Will you need to take out some private loans? May I ask which private loans company(ies) is/are good if you are aware of any?

Hope to receive your reply soon :) And have a nice evening!

I use sallie mae. They are usually pretty good. I would not just go by the private company that is offering the loan. I would also go by what they expect of the borrower, i.e. interest rate and how variable it is and repayment plan. I have not gotten my financial aid award letter yet. I assume it is because they have not finished accepting transfers yet. They told me that I would not know until August. I don't expect to get anything in grant money because I allready have a bachelor's degree, and I made 35k this year at my job.

scanlon,

hmmm....how odd of them to not send you the financial aid award letter yet since they already sent me mine on May 12, 2004. They are giving me $5,000 Achievement/Excellence Award (renewable for subsequent years), $10,000 in grant based on both merits and needs, $5,000 Federal Subsidized Stafford loan, and $5,000 Fed. unsub. stafford loan. The rest I will have to borrow from a private loan company (probably Teri) since I don't have enough credit history to do without a cosigner for Sallie Mae.

So, you are planning to go to Northeastern and not MCP?

It is probably just because I am an internal transfer (i.e. I am an NU alumni), and I didn't go through the office of admissions. I applied straight through the pharmacy department. The pharmacy department has to individually register me in the program. They said that they won't do that until august. The financial aid department said that they won't do anything until the pharmacy deparment does in august, so it is going to be a very last minute thing. I am definetly going to go there because my boss offered me a part-time 24 hour a week job, and I get 7 credits free at Northeastern. I have allready finished the biochemistry and the middler year writing, so I only will have 10 credits to take in the Fall. Then I will do Co-op. It should be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scanlon,

Please tell me if finding an off-campus place that is within walking distance from the school is easy. I am from out of state and will be flying there in July. But as of now, I have no clue where I will be staying. Please advise. Thanks :)

Well, what are you looking for? Are you male or female? There is actually a room available in my apartment. We have a really big five bedroom apartment located 10-15 minutes walking or 5-10 minute subway ride to Northeastern. The price of the room is $550 dollars a month. If you are not interetsted, check out bostonapartments.com or craigslist.com for listings on rooms and apartments that are available. It isn't too hard to find a place if you are willing to pay a lot.

scanlon,

What is the normal price range for a room within walking distance from school? To answer your question, I am a female. Could you please PM me to tell me more info about your apartment such as:

1) date available
2) inclusion/exclusion of utilities
3) deposit
4) fees required (if any)
5) gender of household
6) Age range
7) Household occupation(s)
8) Amenities: Laundry Room, A/C - Heat, etc.
9 number of bathrooms
10) Study/Quiet Atmosphere
11) Rental terms: monthly or annual basis? or????
12) Any comments you may have

When you PM me, please feel free to ask me any question that you may have :) Thank you for having been very helpful!

Is Northeastern a private school?

Scanlon,

Please tell me whether one can do without having a car while going to Northeastern, for I don't intend to bring my car along. Are public transportations available and within walking distance? Thank you :)

I have been in the area for 5 years now, and I have manages quite well without a car. In fact, you will have to pay a considerable amount of money to park your car on the street if you bring your car. The public transportation here is great, and there is a T stop (subway stop) every 1/8-1/4 mile for most of the city. There are actually two Northeastern University T stops. Boston is very dense and small compared to other cities. You really don't need a car if you only plan on going to school, work, and home.

thanks, scanlon :)

BTW, please check your PM. I sent you a message this afternoon. :)

Congrats to everyone who got into mcp and neu, I'm actually applying to both for the Fall 2005 semester as a 3rd year transfer student.. them bein my first-choice schools, ive probably memorized their transfer requirements by now, but any advice from you guys would be great :)

How competitive is MCP? I know NEU is extremely competitive. I'm kinda nervous, since I only have a 3.3 gpa due to a few Cplus's in freshman general science courses. Is there any advice you can give on getting a leg up in the admissions process? :confused: I've had pharmacy experience, and already have a foot-in-the-door into pfizer pharmaceutical, but I'm still unsure of how to really get noticed in the application process. Thanks a lot! :D

afablej,

I advise you to apply early in the cycle. With a 3.3 GPA, I think that you will have a chance at MCP. But will you have a BS by the time you start the program?

de javu ~ :) not a bs degree but i will have all of the requirements completed by next semester...when you say 'early' do you mean late summer or early fall?...i was thinking of doin a bs degree for chemistry or biochemistry..but i felt like by the end of the extra year/2yrs ...pharm school would be even harder to get into. :eek: btw how important is work experience to the school? god you are so lucky you're done wit this. lol

~jen

afablej,

When I mean early, it means that you should turn in your application as soon as you can.

To answer your question about pharmacy experience, I think that it is very important to most pharmacy schools because they want to be sure that you know what you are getting into. If not direct pharmacy experience, you should at least have some sort of experiences in the health field such as working/volunteering in a hospital/clinic/etc. Personally, I did not get much pharmacy experience; I only had about 6 months of pharmacy experience at most, but I do have an extensive experience volunteering in a hospital for 5 years and a total of 1,500+ hours.

In regards to your not having a degree, I would think that your chance is high if your prerequisites' GPA is reasonable. Otherwise, a degree would definitely increase your chance.