MCPHS interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just had my interview yesterday and I feel like it was kind of pointless. I spoke to the interviewer for maybe 10 minutes before the tour, and she hardly asked me anything, especialy not anything they wouldn't already have learned from my application essays.

Same goes for the writing sample, I mean how much can you really get across in a page and a half of wide-ruled kindergarten paper?

I think the staff may have been short-handed due to spring break but I wish they had tried to get to know me a little better. Anyone have similar experiences? Maybe this is the type of school where they already have their mind made up before you get there and the interview is just a technicality. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just had my interview yesterday and I feel like it was kind of pointless. I spoke to the interviewer for maybe 10 minutes before the tour, and she hardly asked me anything, especialy not anything they wouldn't already have learned from my application essays.

Same goes for the writing sample, I mean how much can you really get across in a page and a half of wide-ruled kindergarten paper?

I think the staff may have been short-handed due to spring break but I wish they had tried to get to know me a little better. Anyone have similar experiences? Maybe this is the type of school where they already have their mind made up before you get there and the interview is just a technicality. Any thoughts?

I felt the same way with my interview. It was very rushed and I didn't really feel like I had the time to answer the questions the way I wanted to. I messed up on several of the questions and the interviewer was looking at me like I was nuts. Nevertheless, I still got accepted. Interviewing is a requirement for all Pharmacy Schools in the U.S. so it may just be a technicality for MCPHS. I'm not really sure though.

Hey Everyone,:love:

I applied to Worcester by the end of January and I haven't heard anything from them yet. I did received a letter saying that I have to take the Toefl exam even though I grew up in the US and have obtained by BS here (they said that anyone who put down English is not their native language have to take it). I called and have sent a waiver letter not to take the exam. And so far, I haven't heard anything yet.

saw on some of the posting that Mar. 14 is the last interview date for Worcester, is that true? I also have not receive any blue letter that says i'm waitlisted before the interview. Can someone please tell me when is their last interview date? Thank you so much!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the same way with my interview. It was very rushed and I didn't really feel like I had the time to answer the questions the way I wanted to. I messed up on several of the questions and the interviewer was looking at me like I was nuts. Nevertheless, I still got accepted. Interviewing is a requirement for all Pharmacy Schools in the U.S. so it may just be a technicality for MCPHS. I'm not really sure though.

We'll I guess I'll know soon enough, it takes about two weeks for a response right? Are you going to MCPHS?

Hey Everyone,:love:

I applied to Worcester by the end of January and I haven't heard anything from them yet. I did received a letter saying that I have to take the Toefl exam even though I grew up in the US and have obtained by BS here (they said that anyone who put down English is not their native language have to take it). I called and have sent a waiver letter not to take the exam. And so far, I haven't heard anything yet.

saw on some of the posting that Mar. 14 is the last interview date for Worcester, is that true? I also have not receive any blue letter that says i'm waitlisted before the interview. Can someone please tell me when is their last interview date? Thank you so much!:)

I originally scheduled my interview for March 21st (I moved it up after rearranging my schedule) so I'm thinking the 14th is not the last day. They do rolling admissions so I think they just keep going until the class is full, there shouldn't be a set last interview date, but the sooner the better.

has anyone withdrawn from a class or more than one class since being accepted to MCPHS-Worcester?

For those who applied Worcester campus, I have a question. Did you apply through Pharmcas or school directly? and when? I haven't finished prerequiste courses yet (missing microbiology, o chem I, II, physic and economic), should I apply in the Fall? did anyone have to take TOEFL test? I know they dont require PCAT. Thats good !!!

Thanks in advance.

Applied to school directly
in November.
Call the school and see how many seats are left to know what your chances are before spending the app money.

Applied to school directly
in November.
Call the school and see how many seats are left to know what your chances are before spending the app money.

What about TOEFL, i definitely have to take it. Those classes that I haven't taken yet, should I take them all then apply? Oh, one more thing I just want to make sure, that school doesn't require BS, am I right?

What about TOEFL, i definitely have to take it. Those classes that I haven't taken yet, should I take them all then apply? Oh, one more thing I just want to make sure, that school doesn't require BS, am I right?
MCPHS asked me to take TOEFL too, but I wrote an appeal and they waived the requirement for me. I don't know about your situation, but for me I came here to the US when I was almost seven, so English is my second language. However, I've pretty much only used English after coming here so even though I am Taiwanese / Mandarin by origin I still consider English my primary language.

You should still apply even if you have missing prereqs and are still working towards getting your B.S. (applying = you have a chance; not applying = you have none). HOWEVER, you should know that generally, the more prereqs you're missing, the lower your chances are because these classes are what would make you more competitive compared to some other applicant who has yet to take them. You should also know that the % of the entering class who hold a B.S. has been increasing consistently in the past few years. Class of 2010 has ~80% who hold a B.S. Well then, hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

EDIT:
I am assuming you're applying for Fall 2009? The doors are closed for the entering Class of 2011.

I don't know about everyone else but I have officially received the letter for the wait list even before the interview. It kind of drives me insane with these wait list before the interview thing, what is the use? If the school is not going to interview us, then let us know ahead of time. It's kind of ridiculous to be wait list for an interview. Even if we do get an interview, we will then be place on the admissions wait list and start all over again. Anyone know why they do this? :(

Shikamaru,

For MCPHS, school waives TOEFL if you'd finished 4 years highschool in us (you've been here since 7 years old so I guess that the reason you won the appeal). You're right, i'll apply for 09 (not 08). I do agree with you that if apply = hope, and no apply = no hope. Whos know we're lucky lol.

I went to the interview in February but didn't get in. I did enjoy my visit to the school though. There were only 6 of us and the other girl I talked to didn't get in either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the interview in February but didn't get in. I did enjoy my visit to the school though. There were only 6 of us and the other girl I talked to didn't get in either.

Sorry to hear that ....but have you got in anyschool so far for next year?

Ok i am totally lost here, which campus are u referring to? worcester or boston? Please specify because i'm on the waiting list for boston campus and they say they will be reviewing the waitlist starting on May 1st.

Hey everyone.
I am going to MCPHS - W. next year and I wanted to live off campus. I was wondering if anyone wanted to room with me. My only preference is the roommate be female.
Thanks

Shikamaru,

For MCPHS, school waives TOEFL if you'd finished 4 years highschool in us (you've been here since 7 years old so I guess that the reason you won the appeal). You're right, i'll apply for 09 (not 08). I do agree with you that if apply = hope, and no apply = no hope. Whos know we're lucky lol.

hmm.. i haven't gone all 4 years of high school in US but they still waive my TOEFL. I guess it all depends on your English level. When i asked my admission's counselor, he said that since my email conversations with him were in perfect English, I could try to send a waiver letter in and he didn't see why they would reject. I guess you can explain that you have taken so many english classes and gone through so many undergrad classes with no problem.. just make your case believable...

Hey everyone.
I am going to MCPHS - W. next year and I wanted to live off campus. I was wondering if anyone wanted to room with me. My only preference is the roommate be female.
Thanks
Hey Marenda. You might have better luck asking this question in the official class thread. It's here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=486830
Also, if you haven't joined the Class of 2011 Facebook group, you might want to check it out because I thinkkkkk there was a girl asking for a roommate in there (well unless that person is you hahaha :laugh:).

Well guys I got some great news,:banana:

I got accepted to MCPHS-W campus. 99% going to MCPHS and 1% is for WVU. It's going to be great meeting each and everyone of you, can't wait. But, I have a feeling that its going to be a one hell of a ride for next 3 years.:D

Well guys I got some great news,:banana:

I got accepted to MCPHS-W campus. 99% going to MCPHS and 1% is for WVU. It's going to be great meeting each and everyone of you, can't wait. But, I have a feeling that its going to be a one hell of a ride for next 3 years.:D

that's why they pay you the big bucks when you graduate!! congrats!

Here is a copy from school's website :

PharmD and Nursing Applicants

Who should apply? Students applying for admission into the accelerated Nursing and PharmD programs on the Worcester/Manchester campus. Students must hold bachelor degrees or substantial credits to apply.

For who have been accepted to school, did you guys all have BS ? I asked this before and some ppl said "do not need BS". I'm so confussing now.

It says bachelors OR substantial credits. Meaning one or the other. I don't know what they mean by "substantial credits" if that is just all the pre-reqs you need or if they want you to go above and beyond that list. More is usually better, but if you're gonna do more classes you might as well just go the rest of the way and get the BS.

It says bachelors OR substantial credits. Meaning one or the other. I don't know what they mean by "substantial credits" if that is just all the pre-reqs you need or if they want you to go above and beyond that list. More is usually better, but if you're gonna do more classes you might as well just go the rest of the way and get the BS.

You're right. Thanks.

Here is a copy from school's website :

PharmD and Nursing Applicants

Who should apply? Students applying for admission into the accelerated Nursing and PharmD programs on the Worcester/Manchester campus. Students must hold bachelor degrees or substantial credits to apply.

For who have been accepted to school, did you guys all have BS ? I asked this before and some ppl said "do not need BS". I'm so confussing now.

Asian Girl, I was accepted for Fall 2008 entry into MCP-W. I do not have a BS degree, and will not before I begin. I have an AS from 2004, and about 100 credits.. give or take. They do not require a BS/BA but strongly recommend it. But it really depends on your whole package.

PharmApp2008, i am sorry to hear that you did not get in.:( was mcphs your first choice? i hope you get accepted by another school though!
Just curious, do you think it was because you did not do well on your interview? can you plz share your stats?

i just had my interview but it was not as good as i expected. i enjoyed the tour a lot, was totally relaxed and believe i made a good impression on them. however, when it comes to the interview part, i got nervous all in a sudden because it was a formal setting and i worried a lot about my accent and limited vocab. thus, i did not say everything i wanted to say and had a hard time trying to express my ideas. i wonder if they will assume that i am not confident or don't have good communication skills? This is my first interview and mcphs is my top choice. now that i am so worried:scared:

does anyone here know if mcp is the type of school that already made up their mind before conducting an interview? my stats are: GPA3.7, good TOEFL score, and three great LORs. i heard that once you are invited for interview at mcphs, you are pretty much in. do you guys know if a school will reject a candidate because he or she is nervous? i did not say anything wrong though...:confused:

Thanks a lot for any replies!

PharmApp2008, i am sorry to hear that you did not get in.:( was mcphs your first choice? i hope you get accepted by another school though!
Just curious, do you think it was because you did not do well on your interview? can you plz share your stats?

i just had my interview but it was not as good as i expected. i enjoyed the tour a lot, was totally relaxed and believe i made a good impression on them. however, when it comes to the interview part, i got nervous all in a sudden because it was a formal setting and i worried a lot about my accent and limited vocab. thus, i did not say everything i wanted to say and had a hard time trying to express my ideas. i wonder if they will assume that i am not confident or don't have good communication skills? This is my first interview and mcphs is my top choice. now that i am so worried:scared:

does anyone here know if mcp is the type of school that already made up their mind before conducting an interview? my stats are: GPA3.7, good TOEFL score, and three great LORs. i heard that once you are invited for interview at mcphs, you are pretty much in. do you guys know if a school will reject a candidate because he or she is nervous? i did not say anything wrong though...:confused:

Thanks a lot for any replies!

Did you show that you were interested in the school by asking questions that the interviewer did not cover during the interview? Not all of us in the class have good communication skills... dont' worry!

my interviewer told me last year too that if you get an interview, you already have 1 foot in the door... usually they do accept a good amount of students they interview, + your stats are pretty good... I only had a 3.6 GPA last year when I came in. I'm sure that the interviewer knows that not every student that goes on an interview is confident, and that interviews will always make students a bit more nervous than they should really be :D
Good luck!! :luck:

Did you show that you were interested in the school by asking questions that the interviewer did not cover during the interview? Not all of us in the class have good communication skills... dont' worry!

my interviewer told me last year too that if you get an interview, you already have 1 foot in the door... usually they do accept a good amount of students they interview, + your stats are pretty good... I only had a 3.6 GPA last year when I came in. I'm sure that the interviewer knows that not every student that goes on an interview is confident, and that interviews will always make students a bit more nervous than they should really be :D

will they more concerned about communication skills? do you know anything about transfer students? is it easy or diffculty to get into this program

Asian Girl, I was accepted for Fall 2008 entry into MCP-W. I do not have a BS degree, and will not before I begin. I have an AS from 2004, and about 100 credits.. give or take. They do not require a BS/BA but strongly recommend it. But it really depends on your whole package.

hi, I am applying as transfer student; will they put me in accelerated program or just regular 4 years graduate program? I am so confusing

hi, I am applying as transfer student; will they put me in accelerated program or just regular 4 years graduate program? I am so confusing

If you applied to the Worcester or Manchester campuses, it has to be accelerated 3 years.. we don't do 4 years here. If you applied to Boston, as a transfer student, it will be at least 4 years for you. You can only apply to 1 campus at a time.

If you applied to the Worcester or Manchester campuses, it has to be accelerated 3 years.. we don't do 4 years here. If you applied to Boston, as a transfer student, it will be at least 4 years for you. You can only apply to 1 campus at a time.

did you apply through PHAMCAS? I did it, I just saw the MCPHS. I don't know which campus

did you apply through PHAMCAS? I did it, I just saw the MCPHS. I don't know which campus

I think if you applied thru Pharmcas, it's to the Boston campus, I don't think worcester/manchester uses pharmcas yet... but I don't know, when i applied, MCPHS wasn't using pharmcas at all. Maybe the oncoming class of Worcester/Manchester can confirm that for you.

MCPHS Worcester/Manchester didn't use PharmCAS for the class entering 2008...

Just kidding, I don't know what went wrong, but it was my first interview so maybe it was just the jitters. Or maybe the southern accent... I got accepted at OSU and South already and probably at UF (unless I failed that interview also!). I couldn't really afford to live in Boston anyways!

Thanks greatdeal, you really cheer me up! I cross my fingers!

Thanks greatdeal, you really cheer me up! I cross my fingers!

do you apply boston campus or not? by the way, how long did you wait to get notice for interview

do you apply boston campus or not? by the way, how long did you wait to get notice for interview
Mine was at worcester campus, because you need to use their own application system.
I did not wait long at all for the interview, it was like a week. But from the day of notice to the actual interview was like a month.

hey folks,

i have an interview tomorrow at Worcester Campus. English is not my native language and hence i am scared about the essay part...do u have any tips for that.

also it would be great if you can tell me how the whole interview session works??

thanks in advance.

hey folks,

i have an interview tomorrow at Worcester Campus. English is not my native language and hence i am scared about the essay part...do u have any tips for that.

also it would be great if you can tell me how the whole interview session works??

thanks in advance.

If you read throughout this thread as well as others in the forum, there is more information there than you would need to know for the interview :D

Best tip: be yourself and don't stress out too much, let it flow smoothly and show them your interest in the school by asking questions on everything you can think of, to elaborate or add on to the tidbits you can find from the website, worse thing is to ask them to repeat something that you can learn from reading the mcphs website. :luck:

pharmasngirl - i totally feel you. i was the same way when i had my interview. I was completely relaxed and not nervous during the tour, but when it came to the interview portion, i became all tense and felt like i didn't do as well as i could have.

i had my interview about two weeks ago, and i heard last friday that i got accepted! so i'm sure they don't judge just by the interview process.

pharmasngirl - i totally feel you. i was the same way when i had my interview. I was completely relaxed and not nervous during the tour, but when it came to the interview portion, i became all tense and felt like i didn't do as well as i could have.

i had my interview about two weeks ago, and i heard last friday that i got accepted! so i'm sure they don't judge just by the interview process.

pharmax, when was your interview? i had mine on March 14th, i have not heard anything from them yet. i did not do well on my interview either....

i had mine on march 6. so it took them about 2 weeks to get back to me.

Thank you, pharmax for encouraging me! Congratulations on getting accepted, I hope I am as lucky as you! So have you decided to go MCP? I called the admission today, they said a decision has been made and mailed yesterday. And the lady over phone just would not tell me what it was, oh man, I am getting so anxious.

Ut pharm, have you heard back anything yet? Good luck to you! is there anyone else was interviewed around that time?

Do you guys happen to know if any rejection letter can be made so soon? i was interviewed 3/18, now it's only been a week. Doesn't sound like a good news :(
If I don't get in, I have to travel far away to other states for interview :( and at this time of the year, i have to do very well on my other interviews to compete with people from the waitlist. it is a lot of pressure.

Lately I have been so out of luck, lost many items. But yeah, I will hope for the best to offset my luck.

yes, i called the admission office today too. they won't tell me the decision over the phone either. I have not gotten anything from the mail yet. Pharmgirl, i know how you feel. I did not do well on my interview either, but there is nothing else we can do right now. Good luck to both of us. I hope both of us will have some good news this week.

ut prepharm, is MCP your first choice? did the admission tell you that a decision is already made or r u still pending? if you get accepted, will you go? Please let me know of any good news!

greatdeal, can you tell us a little about your experience at MCP? Are you satisfied with the education they offered? what about the student life there? What is the passing rate for NEPLEX in MCP? I think they said it was 75% or so, can you verify? Thanks for your information in advance!

ut prepharm, is MCP your first choice? did the admission tell you that a decision is already made or r u still pending? if you get accepted, will you go? Please let me know of any good news!

greatdeal, can you tell us a little about your experience at MCP? Are you satisfied with the education they offered? what about the student life there? What is the passing rate for NEPLEX in MCP? I think they said it was 75% or so, can you verify? Thanks for your information in advance!

I think if you go to the 2011 mcphs-w class thread, everything you need is on there, if not there are other threads about MCP-W that myself and others have elaborated on. Exams are getting hectic, sorry, try to find as much info as you can and i can elaborate on that after finals are up around May. jUst that the semester is getting to an end..

is anyone still going to interviews or are those done and over with?

yay, i got in! My mother got the letter from the school and told me, I could not believe it for a few days!

how about you ut pharm? did you receive your acceptance letter? i hope you got in!!

is anyone still going to interviews or are those done and over with?
I assume last Friday was their last round of interview. but you should call the admission to verify. good luck!

congratulations pharmgirlasn! will you be attending in the Fall?