MCPHS interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UNC Patel, just wondering why is MCPHS-Worcester your pharm school of choice? Do you know friends that go there?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Awsome thread. Very useful. I got an interview coming up soon and I'll post how it went afterwards.

But first, can those of you who already interviewed with MCPHS-Worcester tell me where they booked a hotel nearby. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel for just one night's stay in Worcester.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi guys,

Awsome thread. Very useful. I got an interview coming up soon and I'll post how it went afterwards.

But first, can those of you who already interviewed with MCPHS-Worcester tell me where they booked a hotel nearby. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel for just one night's stay in Worcester.

Thanks a bunch!

Usually people book it at the Crowne Plaza's hotel, which is like a 5 minute walk from campus. I don't know the price though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks greatdeals, looks like you're a current MCPHS student, P2 I'm assuming from your class of 2010.

I know asking questions near the end of the interview is good. My interests lie solely in research & development upon matriculation and of course passing NAPLEX. So, would me asking questions about what MCPHS has to offer me regarding post-graduate research be out of context since MCPHS really doesn't have such a program (from what I read anyways)?

Also, I'm driving from the Boston area so I'll be driving on I-90 West towards Worcester, in no particular hurry. I'm looking for a straightforward, shortest distance route. For the locals out there or those who have visited from the Boston area, which route would you guys recommend taking:

90W-->495N-->9W-->campus
OR
90W-->290E-->campus
OR
90W-->495N-->290W-->campus

Thanks greatdeals, looks like you're a current MCPHS student, P2 I'm assuming from your class of 2010.

I know asking questions near the end of the interview is good. My interests lie solely in research & development upon matriculation and of course passing NAPLEX. So, would me asking questions about what MCPHS has to offer me regarding post-graduate research be out of context since MCPHS really doesn't have such a program (from what I read anyways)?

Also, I'm driving from the Boston area so I'll be driving on I-90 West towards Worcester, in no particular hurry. I'm looking for a straightforward, shortest distance route. For the locals out there or those who have visited from the Boston area, which route would you guys recommend taking:

90W-->495N-->9W-->campus
OR
90W-->290E-->campus
OR
90W-->495N-->290W-->campus

i'm a current P1. MCPHS has a lot of residency opportunities in research labs if you are interested in those, i believe there might be some info on their website about it.

If you're coming from boston, i usually take 495 to 290 to campus as i live north of boston and it's toll-free for me that way. Route 9 is no tolls either, but it's more local.... i would recommend you taking 90 to 495 to 290 or 90 to 290.. either way is fine. Once at 290, you can either take exit 14, 15, or 16. They all lead you to campus either way.

The most dreaded interview question - What are your weaknesses?

How did some of you guys answer that one without revealing too much negativity from your personal traits?

The most obvious cliche answer is being a workaholic but that's so obvious and scripted...

Hey desi..good to see other desi's on here. :D
If y'all get accepted, there's a groupon facebook now.
MCPHS Pharmacy'11 for the Worcester studetns

from what i understand and hear from the current students there, once you are granted an interview at mcphs, you are pretty much in. the interview is held just to make sure you can speak english and you know how to write in english. it takes a lot to mess up your chances in getting in once you are invited for an interview.

For those who still can remember some of the 10 impromptu essay questions, can you tell me a few?

So far I've been able to gather up the following posted Q's:

If you could invite three people from history to your dinner who would they be? and why?

Describe any obstacle that you had to overcome in your life and what you learned from it.

The pharmacist profession was rated number one in honesty and something else, I forgot... but recently it had dropped to number two. Why do you think this is and what can be done in order to restore that?

Talk about your favorite book.

Talk about your favorite movie and why?

Talk about recent news in healthcare.

These seem to be general enough, but if I can get some others from you guys, that would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what this signature thing that I'm hearing other people had to sign at their interview is, but I don't remember signing anything on my interview saying that I can't talk about it. SOOO...

"You have written an autobiography. Please submit page 216."

UNC Patel, just wondering why is MCPHS-Worcester your pharm school of choice? Do you know friends that go there?

Hi,:cool:

Well, I want to attend pharmacy school in the North and that is b/c I'm tired of living in North Carolina. I grew up in Long Island, NY but my family moved down south when i was in High School and I simply hate it here now. My PCAT scores are not that great but my GPA is fabulous so for that reason I currently have 3 colleges in mind. MCPHS, Northeastern (NU), and Albany. For some reason i haven't heard anything form Northeastern, but I hope they reply back soon. Anyway, i got an interview with MCPHS soon and I'm very excited for that. I would love to get an interview from NU, i been hearing that they have a great co-op program. But MCPHS has a 3 year program which would be hard choice if I get accepted to both of them. Anyway, that is my reason, take care.

Good luck on your interview, UNC Patel!

By the way my friend applied to Bouve too but she hasn't heard from them either. Hope you hear from them soon :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Congrates. I got my interview letter too but mine is Manchester Campus. Any one got a letter from Manchester Campus?

Greatdeals-
Can you tell us, will we need a car for the first year? or can do without...

Are utilities/water included in the dorm rent?

Does anyone know if pretty much 90% of the interviewees get accepted true?..I was reading some past messages and i saw several people here that were still put on the waiting list after their interview! Please respond!

I have an interview at the Worcester campus Feb. 27th and I'm curious to know if getting in is almost guaranteed, also. Has anyone got an interview and not been accepted?

hey...i also had an interview on wednesday, feb 13th, but I am confused...because the lady who interviewed me didn't ask me a question, not even a regular " why pharmacy" or " why mcphs" ? I m confused man...n nice to see u "Desis" here.

I have an interview at the Worcester campus Feb. 27th and I'm curious to know if getting in is almost guaranteed, also. Has anyone got an interview and not been accepted?

Funny you should ask, i had an interview there on feb 1st but i was wait listed and i have no idea if they are going to consider me or not. I know it all depends on how many people eventually fills their acceptances but what are the chances if 25 spots is available for 2100 applications this year? Almost none. I don't know if i should stop hoping or not, but if anyone can give a little light on this, i would very much appreciate it. Did anyone get waitlisted and still got in?

Hi pharm4sure,
This is actually the Worcester campus thread, so don't scare them =) because Worcester accepts more people. I just sent you a PM.

Funny you should ask, i had an interview there on feb 1st but i was wait listed and i have no idea if they are going to consider me or not. I know it all depends on how many people eventually fills their acceptances but what are the chances if 25 spots is available for 2100 applications this year? Almost none. I don't know if i should stop hoping or not, but if anyone can give a little light on this, i would very much appreciate it. Did anyone get waitlisted and still got in?

oh my bad, i sincerely apologize for the confusion. I thought it was the boston campus.

I have turned in my application the last minute before the deadline, and I have received invitation of interview today. I saw a lot of people here have already got their acceptance letters already. I think I am in the last interview session. I want to ask anyone who knows what is the chance for people like me in the last interview session get into MCPHS?

and is there anyone from Texas have coming interview in MCPHS too?

I will be very appreciated if anyone can reply my questions! Thanks.

Can you please tell when is your interview?
Thanks
campharm

I have been calling to schedule a interview, but the lady was not in for the last two days, i will call tomorrow again. when is yours?

Can you please tell when is your interview?
Thanks
campharm

does anyone know if there are surcharge free ATMs near the MCPHS-Worcester Campus. It would save the trouble from changing banks.

does anyone know if there are surcharge free ATMs near the MCPHS-Worcester Campus. It would save the trouble from changing banks.

Bank of America is a safe bet, they're everywhere in MA (including right next door to MCP-W).

Hi pharm4sure,
This is actually the Worcester campus thread, so don't scare them =) because Worcester accepts more people. I just sent you a PM.

Thanks for clearing that up! My heart sank a little when I saw pharm4sure's post.

I just got waitlisted with no interview :(

Woohoo. I'm in! I have been lurking and this post helped with the interview. I interviewed last Weds the 13th. I'm excited to join the class of 2011!

Oh I had my interview, I am on the waitlist so am trying to figure out when all the interview process will be over
thanks
campharm

I don't get it, how can you got waitlisted with no interview. so is that mean you never have an interview at MCPHS, but you are in the waitlist right now?

I just thought that we should see what other current students' opinions about the school that we want to go to. It does not mean I agree with whatever people posted on SDN, but it is not bad for me to know various opinions.

It seems like you are P1 at MCP-Worcester now. Would you mind sharing your experience at MCP-Worcester? Thanks a lot.

I will be the first to tell you NOT to look there (notice my posts in that very thread approximately one year ago).

For anyone seriously considering MCP-Worcester please take all that is said on SDN with a grain of salt.

I just thought that we should see what other current students' opinions about the school that we want to go to. It does not mean I agree with whatever people posted on SDN, but it is not bad for me to know various opinions.

It seems like you are P1 at MCP-Worcester now. Would you mind sharing your experience at MCP-Worcester? Thanks a lot.

MCP-Worcester is not for everyone. Bottom line. The program does what it is supposed to, humble and promote the best.

No one in their right mind is going to hand you a doctoral degree without testing your abilities to the fullest.

Woohoo. I'm in! I have been lurking and this post helped with the interview. I interviewed last Weds the 13th. I'm excited to join the class of 2011!

Hi,
I also had interview on 13th but until now i havn't received anything ....
on which date, u got ur acceptance letter?

That thread was totally blown out of proportion by people who assumed they knew what that lab was about. You can see what I mean by my posts at the very end of the last page. Current students have already debunked how that lab class was graded. It is EASY to fail, but if the student pays attention then it is definitely doable. You get a 0 if you make 2 critical errors. Minor errors result in fewer points deducted, and the test is out of 200 points or something if I remember correctly. Each critical error is a 100-point deduction, so if you make one you're down to 100/200 already.

Also, from multiple current students I've talked to ranging from P1s to P3s, the program is improving every new year, so if anything, it should only be better for us! By the way thanks pmp85 for answering all my questions to you from way earlier! :D Do you know where astevens went? She stopped posting on SDN and I used to read her posts like religiously almost lol. Say hi to your roommate for me, and that I thank him for the email from a while ago hehe!

That thread was totally blown out of proportion by people who assumed they knew what that lab was about. You can see what I mean by my posts at the very end of the last page. Current students have already debunked how that lab class was graded. It is EASY to fail, but if the student pays attention then it is definitely doable. You get a 0 if you make 2 critical errors. Minor errors result in fewer points deducted, and the test is out of 200 points or something if I remember correctly. Each critical error is a 100-point deduction, so if you make one you're down to 100/200 already.

Also, from multiple current students I've talked to ranging from P1s to P3s, the program is improving every new year, so if anything, it should only be better for us! By the way thanks pmp85 for answering all my questions to you from way earlier! :D Do you know where astevens went? She stopped posting on SDN and I used to read her posts like religiously almost lol. Say hi to your roommate for me, and that I thank him for the email from a while ago hehe!

Shikamaru,

You are welcome, glad I could be of some help. Have you made a definite choice of school?
Ah AStevens, my hero. Where, oh where can you possibly be?? :hardy:

AStevens, your SDN groupies adore you! HaHa!

FYI: Those said "minor errors" in pharmacy = severe consequences (i.e. potentially severe medical complications and/or death). Catching those "minor errors" is the ENTIRE premise of our profession.

Thanks pmp85. I totally agree that those minor errors are what could kill in real life. Thank goodness there are chances given in a practice lab... in the real world the consequences won't be just an F...

At this time I think I am 99% going to MCPHS :) That last 1% is just because I don't want to leave California behind lol! :p

hey! im definitely going to mcphs-w in the fall...if anyone has facebook look me up..jackie paige! i'd like to see who else is going!

Congratulation to all of you who have been accepted! I have a coming interview on March 14. Can anyone tell me how long the interview is? I try to see if I can book the return flight right after the interview.

Originally Posted by amp08

I don't get it, how can you got waitlisted with no interview. so is that mean you never have an interview at MCPHS, but you are in the waitlist right now?

I got the same thing...I think it means if any interview spots are left they will invite you...basically a waitlist to interview.

I have been wait listed too.. but after interview..because of my missing courses of OC-2 and Bio-2, which r in this spring..let see, wht happen.

Thanks pmp85. I totally agree that those minor errors are what could kill in real life. Thank goodness there are chances given in a practice lab... in the real world the consequences won't be just an F...

At this time I think I am 99% going to MCPHS :) That last 1% is just because I don't want to leave California behind lol! :p

Well, I'm glad to see you've made an educated decision. You certainly have performed your share of due diligence. Hope to see you soon.

FYI: I highly suggest a parka, gloves, and a hat. New England isn't so comfy in the winter. :smuggrin:

Well, I'm glad to see you've made an educated decision. You certainly have performed your share of due diligence. Hope to see you soon.

FYI: I highly suggest a parka, gloves, and a hat. New England isn't so comfy in the winter. :smuggrin:

you forgot heavy-duty boots for walking in the snow or ice-covered streets!!