MCPHS Worcester Class 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
finally someone who talks some sense into those people :)

Seriously!

I actually brought up all this malarkey to the professor who interviewed me a while ago. She said that it's a professional program and you're expected to study and learn things on your own and not be spoon-fed information like a baby lecture in college.

Sounds reasonable to me!!

That's how they do it in Europe, but for every level of school!

Members don't see this ad.

The school doesn't have that many rotation sites. You may even be driving to Rhode Island. A 50 mile radius is pretty long commute. They use a lottery system and "what you get is what you get". It doesn't matter if you wanted to do nuclear pharmacy, etc.

Actually it's all politics. Get in good with one of the people that has access to the databases and you can get pretty much anything you want. I went to the Boston campus so maybe it's different *shrug*

Hi,

Does anyone know if we are required to take a test during our orientation? I know that the PA program requires students to take a medical terminology test during their orientation / prior to the start of classes and I'm just wondering if the pharmacy program has a similar requirement.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Does anyone know if we are required to take a test during our orientation? I know that the PA program requires students to take a medical terminology test during their orientation / prior to the start of classes and I'm just wondering if the pharmacy program has a similar requirement.

Thanks.

For our class we had to take a few comprehension type tests during orientation, but for your class they are doing away with most/if not all of them. You will be required to take 2 written exams early on in the curriculum. One tests for your writing/grammer skills and the other is a written exam that tests your ability to understand/communicate orally. (I know that sounds weird but it pretty much simulates conversations). Non of these exams are really tough. We have many students here that English is not their first language and they all did fine for the most part. I think you need to take some type of writing workshop if you do not do well.

First off, anyone who has read this post, disregard rivatnt..he/she is a ***** and is probably bitter b/c they couldn't hack it all that well here at MCP...cry me a river, seriously. Anyways, I'm now a P3 and looking to get rid of some books if anyone has interest in them...I've got Biochem, Patho, US Healthcare, Management and Physical Assessment books (P2 course)...I've also got a clicker that I'm willing to part with for very little b/c it's useless to me...I don't know what editions they are requiring now for all of these courses but I can guarantee that they all have the same info...that goes for just about any book in pharmacy school, except for DePiro's Pharmacotherapy b/c guidelines for some disease states tend to change over night. PM me if you have any interest in these books or any questions. Goodluck to everyone.

If anyone is looking for an apartment, I heard that Bancroft Commons is pretty great. Its really close to campus and they just recently built a new apartment building too. Please PM me if you want more info...

I am applying for 2010 cycle. I got a letter from school couple days ago that they need my Toefl score but I haven't taken it yet. Being here 18 years and working in English speaking enviroment, I did not think I need one. Oh well, I guess I have to take it now and ASAP.

My question is for who got accepted as ESL and with out BS, what is the minium score that school requires? Besides, I will definitely call school on Monday and find out about waiver.

Thanks in advance.

I am applying for 2010 cycle. I got a letter from school couple days ago that they need my Toefl score but I haven't taken it yet. Being here 18 years and working in English speaking enviroment, I did not think I need one. Oh well, I guess I have to take it now and ASAP.

My question is for who got accepted as ESL and with out BS, what is the minium score that school requires? Besides, I will definitely call school on Monday and find out about waiver.

Thanks in advance.

you can write a letter to ask for a TOEFL waiver. i did that and i was fine. i just used the fact that i went 4 yrs of HS in USA and also went to undergrad and i never took 1 ESl english class, all of them were regular english classes. i didn't want to pay the money to go take toefl if i didn't need to.

Hey P1s.. I am a P2 looking to sell my Physiology book ($50) as well as my pharmaceutics book ($40) and kinetics book(spring semester) ($50). If any one is interested in any of these send me an email [email protected]

thanks and good luck next year!! enjoy your last few weeks of freedom!!

Can anyone tell me what books out of the required and recommended we should definitely buy for P1 fall year? Should I definitely buy the required text for pharmacy law and human physio &patho? and also the recommended book for pharmaceutics? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone tell me what books out of the required and recommended we should definitely buy for P1 fall year? Should I definitely buy the required text for pharmacy law and human physio &patho? and also the recommended book for pharmaceutics? Thanks in advance!

Check out the Facebook group for the P1 class...All of your questions should be answered by the fall textbooks discussion...

Hello to all!

I have a question to anyone with experience with being placed on MCPHS waiting list

I was placed on the list then received a interview!:) but now waiting for a response...getting kinda nervous :( and classes start soon

any advise or info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys....im currently a student at mcphs worcester. I actually am writing to see if you or anyone you knew would be interested in subletting my place for the Fall semester. My place is less than 5 min from the school and rent is about 400/month. the place is fully furnished 3 bedroom apt, and 2 other male mcp students are currently living there. If you are interested please shoot me a msg!

....and if it intices anyone, my place has a 52' lcd tv and the comfiest couches in the world ;)

so if your looking for a place 4 the fall shoot me a email (its better than the 900/month you would be paying to live on campus, where the rooms look like jail cells and water is warm 60% of the time)....ill be returning back to school in the spring

Cant wait to start everyone and met you all!

I had a question does anyone know what the studio dorm rooms are like?? Square feet? Or any kind of information regarding the studio's at school

Class of 2012!! :):)

Hello everybody, i finally got accepted as well after being on the waitlist for so long.:) Is somebody out there looking for a male off-campus roomate as I was told there is no more on-campus housing available for this fall..i can be reached at [email protected]

Congrats on your acceptance, *rejected577* lol (that is a funny user name) but I plan to stay at 600 Main St. I toured the apartments while I was there, they were really nice. I just need to find a roomie, because two bedrooms are more affordable.

Last edited:
Hello, I have some questions regarding the dress code:
1.) What is the dress code for orientation for girls? Are jeans and a shirt OK? Sneakers?
2.) For the white coat ceremony, I know its professional dress code, but do girls usually wear dresses, or dress pants and a nice shirt? Will we have time to get ready for the ceremony after the orientation meetings? Also, do many parents and family come to the ceremony since its on a weekday?
3.) For class, I know we can wear jeans and we always have to wear the white coat, and no flip flops or open toed shoes. Do shirts have to have a collar? Are any shirts/tops ok as long as its not revealing anything or have affending writing?

Hello, I have some questions regarding the dress code:
1.) What is the dress code for orientation for girls? Are jeans and a shirt OK? Sneakers?
2.) For the white coat ceremony, I know its professional dress code, but do girls usually wear dresses, or dress pants and a nice shirt? Will we have time to get ready for the ceremony after the orientation meetings? Also, do many parents and family come to the ceremony since its on a weekday?
3.) For class, I know we can wear jeans and we always have to wear the white coat, and no flip flops or open toed shoes. Do shirts have to have a collar? Are any shirts/tops ok as long as its not revealing anything or have affending writing?

For orientation you would feel comfortable wearing capris or casual pants and a nice shirt. Most people come dressed business casual. For the white coat ceremony you can wear nice pants and a dress shirt or a dress. I thought I would be too dressed up in a dress last year so I wore pants, but lots of people wore dresses. I'm not sure if you will have time to get ready. I think I had like 30 mins last year. Lots of family memebers did come. It is something nice for your family to see so if it isn't too much trouble to travel there I would invite them. They will have some light food set up after the ceremony. For the class dress code you will be given a list of acceptable clothing. Most people wear jeans. You don't need to wear a collared shirt. I wear plain t-shirts with comfortable dress pants most of the time. You really can't even tell what type of shirt you are wearing b/c it is under the coat. You can wear open toed shoes.. just not supposed to wear flip flops although many people do.

Hi P1s

I have a lot of books for sale for P1s classes in the Fall, Spring and Summer! They are all in good condition too! Prices will be reasonable and negotiable :D

Talk to you soon! shoot me an email :)

Hey, I just wanted to let you all know that there will be no testing during orientation and they have also done away with the oral and written proficiency exams. Good luck!

Hey, I just wanted to let you all know that there will be no testing during orientation and they have also done away with the oral and written proficiency exams. Good luck!

o wow, that's great! i didn't even know.. i guess i'm out of the loop now LOL

o wow, that's great! i didn't even know.. i guess i'm out of the loop now LOL

haha.. yeah, you're out in P3 land. You're so lucky!! I can't wait to be out of the loop!

Hi,

I currently have furnitures for sale. They are in very good condition. I have things such as a full sized mattress (very new and no stains!...worth $250), black leather chair with rollers for studying, white/silver VIKA AMON/ VIKA CURRY desk from ikea, 5 arm floor lamp, poly grid stacking shelves (white) etc.

I also have female winter coats for sale. They are also still new, small-medium size coats.

Again, all the items mentioned are pretty new because I take care of the items pretty well.

Let me know if you are interested. I am willing to negotiate prices :D

Hi P1s

I have a lot of books for sale for P1s classes in the Fall, Spring and Summer! They are all in good condition too! Prices will be reasonable and negotiable :D

Talk to you soon! shoot me an email :)

Hello there. I was just wondering if you still have any books for sale, particularly the pharmacy practice and the law text by Abood.

Thank you!

Hey Jill08,

FYI - None of the P2s will have the law book because your's will be the first year a book is required. The rest of us had a different professor for law.

Hi there. I'm currently an accepted pharmacy student in another state, but I wantto transfer to MCPHS-Worcester. Can someoneplease advise if you were a pharmacy student transfer? Can you share your experience on what you need to do to transfer?Thanks.

It may be difficult to transfer to MCP because it is an accelerated program, so the curriculum is kind of squished together over 2 years and 10 months instead of 4 years. The best thing for you to do would probably be to call admissions and find out exactly if you would be able to transfer. What year are you?

I'm not a transfer, but thought I'd throw my two cents in!

Any former pre-pharmers remember when was the 1st interview for this school and how they contact the interviewee ? I posted the same question in pre-pharm thread but it seems like no-one knows. Lots of schools have started their interviews already and I am wondering why this school haven't invited anyone yet?

Thanks.

Any former pre-pharmers remember when was the 1st interview for this school and how they contact the interviewee ? I posted the same question in pre-pharm thread but it seems like no-one knows. Lots of schools have started their interviews already and I am wondering why this school haven't invited anyone yet?

Thanks.

It depends on when you submitted your completed application, meaning LORs, transcripts, everything. Interviews started in November if I remember correctly. If you applied at the February deadline you won't be getting an interview anytime soon because as you may well know the admissions process is on a rolling basis. The school contacts interviewees by postal mail (and a big one too) unless they've changed things from two years ago haha. By the way, the open enrollment begins in October so obviously the school hasn't invited anyone for the entering Fall 2010 class to an interview yet.

It is true, anyone who gets admitted to this school should not attend it. I am a current P1 student and trust me most of my classmates are thinking about transferring. They really regret coming to the school. All except one of the teachers seems to know what he is teaching. The rest just do not know their stuff. The teachers are very mediocre. In addition, most of the P1 have the feeling that the school does not care about the student welfare but care a lot about your MONEY. Also most of the people who got admission to this school and other schools chose the other schools, therefore most of the P1 student are people who were on waiting list. PLEASE DONT COME TO MCPHS. I HAVE EXTREMELY REGRETTED COMING TO THIS SCHOOL. DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.

You've made a total of two posts, both of which have zero credibility to them. Seriously, what's [your] the problem? You've only had two (2) exams since starting here (less than 4 weeks ago). Most of that material is background information that many P1's already have a firm understanding of. Trust me, the material/program doesn't get any easier.

Tip of the day: Don't publicly bash a school that you aspire to attain a professional degree from.
Rationale: 1) You piss off alumni/current students 2) You make yourself look like a crybaby.

It is true, anyone who gets admitted to this school should not attend it. I am a current P1 student and trust me most of my classmates are thinking about transferring. They really regret coming to the school. All except one of the teachers seems to know what he is teaching. The rest just do not know their stuff. The teachers are very mediocre. In addition, most of the P1 have the feeling that the school does not care about the student welfare but care a lot about your MONEY. Also most of the people who got admission to this school and other schools chose the other schools, therefore most of the P1 student are people who were on waiting list. PLEASE DONT COME TO MCPHS. I HAVE EXTREMELY REGRETTED COMING TO THIS SCHOOL. DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.

You should transfer out and so should these classmate of yours. If you can't take the heat, then get the hell out. Also, since you were on the wait list I will assume that you were not a bright student to begin with. Am I pissed off because of your stupidity ? probably :cool:.

I'm a P1 right now at Worcester and i think the profs are taking it really easy on us.

Jihain you have to study on your own, you can’t expect the profs you teach you everything. I don’t know where you are coming from with all this? The semester just started and it hasn’t even been bad yet. We had three exams so far that were pretty much a give me grade? We will not be as lucky for the next round of exams.

The prof. basically tells you everything that is going to be on the exam beforehand. You are too new to be complaining like this. I see why the P3’s really dislike you. Your work ethic seems to be zero. Start acting humble and be thankful that this school has given you a great opportunity. They are not forcing you to be here. You can leave anytime you want.

You get what you put into life. Work hard always pays off, you will be doing the school a favor by transferring out. This school wants students that want to be here and earn a degree, not a student that just pays for a degree. Time to grow up, baby time is over. Welcome to the real world.

I'm a P1 right now at Worcester and i think the profs are taking it really easy on us.

Jihain you have to study on your own, you can’t expect the profs you teach you everything. I don’t know where you are coming from with all this? The semester just started and it hasn’t even been bad yet. We had three exams so far that were pretty much a give me grade? We will not be as lucky for the next round of exams.

The prof. basically tells you everything that is going to be on the exam beforehand. You are too new to be complaining like this. I see why the P3’s really dislike you. Your work ethic seems to be zero. Start acting humble and be thankful that this school has given you a great opportunity. They are not forcing you to be here. You can leave anytime you want.

You get what you put into life. Work hard always pays off, you will be doing the school a favor by transferring out. This school wants students that want to be here and earn a degree, not a student that just pays for a degree. Time to grow up, baby time is over. Welcome to the real world.

Thank you. Its good to know not all people in the p1 class are immature. :thumbup:

I have NO idea who could possibly be complaining right now. This is easier than my undergrad!!!! Well, ok, I've never had to study so much: I come home, study, eat dinner, study, watch TV, study...but what did you expect?

Anyway...enough of smack-talking. I really like all of our professors. Granted, there may be a few tricks hiding up a few sleeves, but it's been nothing that is grade-breaking. I have asked all the professors questions at one time or another, and they have all been kind and helpful. They care about US, not the money. You think the professors get paid FFS? Or even capitation? (That's for you U.S. Healthcare buffs out there, ha!!). No, they get paid salary...which makes them more likely to put time and effort into their jobs and into helping us. Hey, I learned something!

After working full time while going to night school full time...this is a walk in the park.

[Edit April 14:...YEeeeeeah starting to definitely get harder than undergrad. I'm looking back on this going, "Wow, I WISH!" Haha! But you can still dooo iiit!]

Last edited:
Anyway...enough of smack-talking. I really like all of our professors. Granted, there may be a few tricks hiding up a few sleeves, but it's been nothing that is grade-breaking. I have asked all the professors questions at one time or another, and they have all been kind and helpful. They care about US, not the money. You think the professors get paid FFS? Or even capitation? (That's for you U.S. Healthcare buffs out there, ha!!). No, they get paid salary...which makes them more likely to put time and effort into their jobs and into helping us. Hey, I learned something!

Umm, its fee-for-dropout (FFD). Get it right! Professors are paid bonuses for each student they fail, duhhhhh! :smuggrin: