MCW class of '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Busy day today: 7 autopsies. Any of you guys on trauma surgery right now?

I don't think anyone that posts on here is doing surgery right now. So what's your role at the MEs office? Are you just watching, or helping? Doing the autopsies yourself? Been to any crime scenes?

Members don't see this ad.

are they not doing a good job on the trauma service?

Actually, it would be EMS that's not doing a good job. I'm pretty sure they would get autopsied in the hospital if they stayed alive long enough for the trauma service to get a crack at them. I could be wrong about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it would be EMS that's not doing a good job. I'm pretty sure they would get autopsied in the hospital if they stayed alive long enough for the trauma service to get a crack at them. I could be wrong about that.

You are so dead.

So do rotations in May last right up until graduation on Friday? Or do they give you a day or two to prepare for the invasion of relatives?

I'm not sure about "real" electives, but PFI's final exam is tomorrow. (Yeasterbunny can give some insight to "real" electives). So as of 11:30 tomorrow, provided I pass the exam... done.

Awesome. I will be partaking in PFI next year.

How does it feel to be one exam away from your MD?

If it's a criminal case, I think it would be off to the medical examiner.

I'm not sure about "real" electives, but PFI's final exam is tomorrow. (Yeasterbunny can give some insight to "real" electives). So as of 11:30 tomorrow, provided I pass the exam... done.

Awesome. I will be partaking in PFI next year.

How does it feel to be one exam away from your MD?

Congrats!!

And we never had a party. =(

Wow. Just like that. I'm actually surprised that this is the last round of finals I'll ever have to study for. Plenty more exams, but nothing quite like the past 10 years of finals.

It feels... weird. Talk to me on Friday and we'll see, but at the moment, I'm expecting it to not feel real until June 29th, when I have to deliver babies and such.

I don't think anyone that posts on here is doing surgery right now. So what's your role at the MEs office? Are you just watching, or helping? Doing the autopsies yourself? Been to any crime scenes?

My role at the ME's is basically to stand there and watch and ask questions. I had to sign a form on the first day that basically said I wouldn't touch anything sharp. Which is fine with me, it gets pretty messy. Not to mention poopy. I can help out in other ways like rolling bodies and writing down notes and organ weights etc.

I did go out to one scene, which looked like it could be a homicide but ended up just being an overdose. It was sorta fun but really just entailed a lot of standing around. I hope to go to another scene this week. I haven't been to court yet either.

And yes, I am going in through Thursday. I'm typically out before 1 though.

are they not doing a good job on the trauma service?

Two of the cases today went through the trauma service. I think they both made it to the OR but really were past help. Only one was a criminal case though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, maybe this is just me but...

Have any of you ever noticed how when you smell dog poo or baby poo then later your own poo smells the same? Like the scent molecules are still in your nose waiting to activate the same smell response? Ooo, or when you were in the anatomy lab all afternoon and later you eat black olives and it tastes like cadaver? Yeah, well right now my farts smell like dead guy insides. It's rather disturbing.

Matt. I love you.

I pick up my dog's poo everyday and I do not think anything else smells like my dog's poo, including my own. :)

I think everything smelled like anatomy lab cuz it was impossible to wash the smell off your hands. I'm thinking the same thing probably for autopsies.

Certain smells cling. When I taught at a school that allowed smoking in the student lounge, things that I owned that had never been near the smoke began to have the scent.

The question is, does your whole body now smell like the autopsy room to everyone else, and you only notice when you fart?

Certain smells cling. When I taught at a school that allowed smoking in the student lounge, things that I owned that had never been near the smoke began to have the scent.

The question is, does your whole body now smell like the autopsy room to everyone else, and you only notice when you fart?

My wife says I smell normal. Except she acknowledges that my farts are stinky. But not in a particularly cadaveric way.

I love being married.

And lest anyone wonder, I did not ASK my wife to come and smell my farts. She was in the other room entirely but walked in on me at an opportune time to comment on the matter.

"I smell dead people"... wait, that's not the line.

Have any of you ever noticed how when you smell dog poo or baby poo then later your own poo smells the same? Like the scent molecules are still in your nose waiting to activate the same smell response? Ooo, or when you were in the anatomy lab all afternoon and later you eat black olives and it tastes like cadaver? Yeah, well right now my farts smell like dead guy insides. It's rather disturbing.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I know what you are talking about, but I agree with you.

ahh yes...the old school C. diff Whiff test.

Woot. That is all.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

And... I moved. So, bye!

So my toddler is sitting here with me looking over the boards and every time he sees Prowler or Splat's avatars he points and says "ARRRRRR!" And he thinks Ashers is mommy. No one else elicited a response.

how-thomas-the-tank-engine-works-1.jpg

Awww... the cartoon version of me gets no love? Sad. I'm crying on the inside.

So my toddler is sitting here with me looking over the boards and every time he sees Prowler or Splat's avatars he points and says "ARRRRRR!" And he thinks Ashers is mommy. No one else elicited a response.

At least you're not mommy.

Or at least mommy doesn't look like Prowler's avatar. ;)

Does my avatar really resemble your wife?

Or at least mommy doesn't look like Prowler's avatar. ;)

Does my avatar really resemble your wife?
Not so much. A little like when she died her hair once. The cat looks like mine though, so maybe he just assumed the woman with the cat was Mommy.

Not so much. A little like when she died her hair once. The cat looks like mine though, so maybe he just assumed the woman with the cat was Mommy.
geez, I read "a little like when she died" and started to feel horrible for a second.

It's dye. Or color. Not that I'd know anything about that. <frantically checks for gray hairs>

I start work today... Orientation-type stuff M-F, 7 to 4ish every day until my first shift June 29. Guess I didn't imagine graduating...

I start work today... Orientation-type stuff M-F, 7 to 4ish every day until my first shift June 29. Guess I didn't imagine graduating...

That's a lot of orientation.

Yeasterbunny, I met some girl at my CS who met your brother. She's doing ortho and rotated at, I think, Nebraska (could be wrong about the school). She said she met a 2nd year ortho resident from MCW whose last name was "Yeasterbunny." She was talking about how the MCW residents were good and nice.

Yeasterbunny, I met some girl at my CS who met your brother. She's doing ortho and rotated at, I think, Nebraska (could be wrong about the school). She said she met a 2nd year ortho resident from MCW whose last name was "Yeasterbunny." She was talking about how the MCW residents were good and nice.

Weird. Yeah, he's at Creighton. Apparently Omaha is pretty darn boring. He says it was a bad choice to rank Nebraska so high as he's fairly confident he would have matched here if he had ranked it one higher. But we knew a fellow who had done residency at Creighton and really liked it there, so they ranked it higher.

Kudos for using the 2008 thread. I would have posted here sooner but I didn't know if anyone would see my post. I take it you guys have them all on a subscription list?

Weird. Yeah, he's at Creighton. Apparently Omaha is pretty darn boring. He says it was a bad choice to rank Nebraska so high as he's fairly confident he would have matched here if he had ranked it one higher. But we knew a fellow who had done residency at Creighton and really liked it there, so they ranked it higher.

Kudos for using the 2008 thread. I would have posted here sooner but I didn't know if anyone would see my post. I take it you guys have them all on a subscription list?

Omaha looked boring when I drove through it twice. I heard it's a really good program though. My choices so far for residency look like they're in relatively boring cities, but I haven't heard anything from anywhere in Nebraska, and I can't make it to their 2 dates anyway.

I used to use the subscription function before I went to other areas of SDN other than allo-class threads, now I just see if there's anything MCW.

And I thought you'd like it that I used your class thread. ;)