*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't chulito mean small dick? No wait...that is chilito. Close.

Hey, now. I didn't bring up compensation or matters of penis size. Prowler simply has shown time and again an elaborate interest in cars, which I was noting. I make no assumptions about his endowment.

Your baroreceptors, chemoreceptors, and adrenergic receptors.

Wait, look! Indo made a topical post! Go, Indo!

For those who are VERY quiz-oriented for neuro, there's this site. Some more detail than we need, some spots with less, but it's giving me a sense of where things go in our brains. Gosh, I'm scared to walk downstairs now. There's too much that can go wrong! ;)

Wait, look! Indo made a topical post! Go, Indo!

For those who are VERY quiz-oriented for neuro, there's this site. Some more detail than we need, some spots with less, but it's giving me a sense of where things go in our brains. Gosh, I'm scared to walk downstairs now. There's too much that can go wrong! ;)

2 in a row!

What are the hours for the computer lab? Is it open 24 hours too?

Has anyone actually used virtual microscope at home? I think mine won't work because I don't have a VPN client from cisco. word?

Has anyone actually used virtual microscope at home? I think mine won't work because I don't have a VPN client from cisco. word?

Word. You can download the VPN client from MCW using the instructions in the older announcement in Angel. If you have Vista, there are newer instructions. You also have to use IE. It won't work with Firefox (which I keep forgetting).

dang. The vista instructions say to email Dr. Krips. I emailed the help people. In the mean time I guess I'll study physiology. Phys is tons better than Biochem.

dang. The vista instructions say to email Dr. Krips. I emailed the help people. In the mean time I guess I'll study physiology. Phys is tons better than Biochem.

I have PM'd you additional information because I AM SO GOOD TO YOU. I'm assuming you have Vista, as you don't have to do anything special with XP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have PM'd you additional information because I AM SO GOOD TO YOU. I'm assuming you have Vista, as you don't have to do anything special with XP.

i figured it out. I had to find the VPN client version 5.00beta. It works. I'm looking at a monkey's eye right now!

thanks for the help.

Arsène Wenger, OBE (born October 22, 1949 in Strasbourg) is a French football manager at Arsenal, where he has become the club's most successful manager in terms of trophies, time served, and matches played (over 550 as of September 2006).

Wenger is the only non-British manager to win the Double in England, having done so in 1998 and 2002. In 2004, he became the only manager in FA Premier League history to go through the entire season without a loss.

Wenger has a degree in Engineering from Strasbourg University and a master's degree in economics [1] and is fluent in French, German (especially its Alsatian dialect) and English and knowledgeable in Italian, Spanish and Japanese.[2]

Arsène Wenger, OBE (born October 22, 1949 in Strasbourg) is a French football manager at Arsenal, where he has become the club's most successful manager in terms of trophies, time served, and matches played (over 550 as of September 2006).

Wenger is the only non-British manager to win the Double in England, having done so in 1998 and 2002. In 2004, he became the only manager in FA Premier League history to go through the entire season without a loss.

Wenger has a degree in Engineering from Strasbourg University and a master's degree in economics [1] and is fluent in French, German (especially its Alsatian dialect) and English and knowledgeable in Italian, Spanish and Japanese.[2]

and he also made one hell of a lemon meringue pie.

tru dat, tru dat!

procrastination.gif

A friend of mine will start at MCW this coming year and I am trying to decide on a gift to get her before she starts. I am an MS1 myself and I was thinking about buying a pair of scrubs or a Netter, but I did not know if you guys have scrubs provided for you for anatomy days or if you buy your own...any suggestions would be great.

A friend of mine will start at MCW this coming year and I am trying to decide on a gift to get her before she starts. I am an MS1 myself and I was thinking about buying a pair of scrubs or a Netter, but I did not know if you guys have scrubs provided for you for anatomy days or if you buy your own...any suggestions would be great.

They don't provide them. What I did, actually, was go to garage sales and buy a BUNCH of clothes for 50 cents - $1.00 per item so I only had to wash my pseudo-scrubs once a week but never had to put my face through the neck of stinky anatomy clothes. I was very happy with this.

A Netter is a good thing, especially if your friend doesn't want to join AMSA (I only joined to get the Netter's). A gift certificate to the bookstore, or better yet, to ABEbooks.com if they sell them, would also be very welcome. I've gotten my best textbook prices at abebooks.

They don't provide them. What I did, actually, was go to garage sales and buy a BUNCH of clothes for 50 cents - $1.00 per item so I only had to wash my pseudo-scrubs once a week but never had to put my face through the neck of stinky anatomy clothes. I was very happy with this.

A Netter is a good thing, especially if your friend doesn't want to join AMSA (I only joined to get the Netter's). A gift certificate to the bookstore, or better yet, to ABEbooks.com if they sell them, would also be very welcome. I've gotten my best textbook prices at abebooks.

Yeah... I joined AMSA and AMA for the free books too. The gift certificate sounds like a good idea, unless you want to buy general scrubs.

I used scrubs from work, for anatomy, we have the option to buy scrubs, but they're expensive and embroidered with like "MCW Anatomy lab." I had previously bought most of my scrubs at Costco.

the library and cafeteria are like tombs. where is everybody?

I'm at home. I just took the CTB practice exam twice. I learned something from the 55% I got on the first one.

I still have to do a few neuro flash cards before I go to bed, but I think it's more or less under control.

Haven't touched phys today.

Are we having fun yet?

I've been at this desk and computer for about 36 hours the last 3 days. I know nothing of Neuro but I have the rest of the internet memorized.

I've been at this desk and computer for about 36 hours the last 3 days. I know nothing of Neuro but I have the rest of the internet memorized.
I felt like I knew something of neuro, but I'll be happy if I just pass.

this is for the people already at MCW...what is your opinion on the test schedule. It is basically a finals week every 4 weeks, right?

What is the good? bad? Is it nice to have one nonstressful weekend (the one after the tests) every 4 weeks?

I'm just curious about this aspect of MCW

this is for the people already at MCW...what is your opinion on the test schedule. It is basically a finals week every 4 weeks, right?

What is the good? bad? Is it nice to have one nonstressful weekend (the one after the tests) every 4 weeks?

I really liked the block scheduling of exams during the M1 year. It helps you give an appropriate amount of time to learning new material in each class rather than skipping new lectures in one class to put more time into studying for the next exam in a different class. Exam weeks were definitely stressful, but do-able, and the ability to scale it back for that golden weekend after and even into the next week if you wanted to was priceless.

Second year has much less block exam scheduling and personally I hate it. I feel like I am always sacrificing time on one subject to cram details for an exam in a different one and the level of stress, while not as intense as first year, is more constant and pervasive this year, which is just a big drag overall. I also feel like the professors are aware that we are not taking other exams around the same time and feel that gives them free license to kick our asses up and down the scantron sheet if they so desire (which they often do).

The current M3 class actually fought hard for the administration to convert the M2 curriculum to more of a block schedule and as a result our class was supposed to have block exams this year, but the schedule came out looking distinctly unblocklike with no real explanation for why the admin. changed their minds. I have a feeling our class might complain about it again at the end of the year during curriculum meetings and the dance will either begin again or they will make some real changes for the current M1s for next year.

i have nothing good to say about either the exam schedule for M2s, nor the general structuring of the pathology course here.

that, and both years so far my birthday has fallen right before a round of exams. yay. And next year? My birthday falls on the beginning of OB/Gyn rotation. That's a BIT better. Unfortunately being so early on i won't have a chance at delivering a fellow April Fools' Baby with mine own two hands.

that, and both years so far my birthday has fallen right before a round of exams. yay. And next year? My birthday falls on the beginning of OB/Gyn rotation. That's a BIT better. Unfortunately being so early on i won't have a chance at delivering a fellow April Fools' Baby with mine own two hands.

But maybe you can deliver an April Fools' placenta?

But maybe you can deliver an April Fools' placenta?

guess I wouldn't need to get a cake then. just stick some candles in that sucker and viola!!!!!!!

(seriously though, the placenta is probably one of the most disgusting-looking things that ever existed, besides Roseanne.)

I would 2nd everything Funk said about the block scheduling. We had a vote on the exam schedule last year, and I believe it was overwhelmingly for a block schedule, rather than spread out.

First semester of M2 year, I was always concentrating on one subject and ignoring the others. Always felt behind. More stressful. Weekends are not as free. 2nd semester has shaped up better. I think it's all block except block 2. So that's good.

Dr. Haldemann told me that the m2 year used to be completely block schedule, but over the years, the departments strayed apart (I believe the Path department is to blame).

You won't even be in the wards that first day... but you could easily deliver a baby the second day. Don't count on a lot of "warm up" time... jump right in. It's easier that way. :)

You won't even be in the wards that first day... but you could easily deliver a baby the second day. Don't count on a lot of "warm up" time... jump right in. It's easier that way. :)
and bring a catcher's mitt!

is "jump right in" okay terminology during the pelvic exam? they were warning us about stuff like that. still, i don't think anything can beat the student that said "you're going to feel me entering you now."

*Worst late night Page:
Nurse: "I was calling because Mr. X's diet says he can have two milks."
Resident: "And?"
Nurse: "He's only gotten one"

* Lecture on physical examination, U.W. Seattle. Professor is discombobulated after mincing the following words while simulating rectal exam with his hands in front of class:
". . . Then you insert your penis into the rectum."

* Lecture on physical examination, U.W. Seattle. Professor is discombobulated after mincing the following words while simulating rectal exam with his hands in front of class:

Apocryphal! Where did you hear that?

i don't get what's wrong in that one.

Does Heparin simply increase the activity of antithrombin or is it more complicated than that?

Does Heparin simply increase the activity of antithrombin or is it more complicated than that?

Pretty sure that's the gist of it, yeah. Increases it a thousand-fold or some such nonsense.

Pretty sure that's the gist of it, yeah. Increases it a thousand-fold or some such nonsense.

concur with funk. I think it's basically an allosteric thing that makes the binding site for the clotting factors more available or higher affinity or something.

as a side note, you can safely give it to pregnant mothers!

concur with funk. I think it's basically an allosteric thing that makes the binding site for the clotting factors more available or higher affinity or something.

as a side note, you can safely give it to pregnant mothers!

I, personally, have never "given it" to any pregnant mothers. heehee.

Thanks for the pharm consult!

Status
Not open for further replies.