*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Splat, your new avatar is the Anti-Prowler.

it does fill in the empty spaces his leaves behind, yes. a tragic coincidence I had not anticipated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
go to 3:00 minutes to see what my interviewing skills are like

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLdLuT7gtTQ[/YOUTUBE]

go to 3:00 minutes to see what my interviewing skills are like

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLdLuT7gtTQ[/YOUTUBE]

Why is it always the asian med students that are the ones making videos like this?

Why is it always the asian med students that are the ones making videos like this?

"I'm asian, I don't have to study." :laugh:

Does anyone know if they have changed any more of the neuro questions?

Does anyone know if they have changed any more of the neuro questions?
not as of a few hours ago. I really hope they change optic tract/optic nerve/LGN/etc question. Jon Q. in our class found something in Kandel that basically says you can't have the described defect unless you lesion the optic chiasm. Whoops, that wasn't one of the choices.

not as of a few hours ago. I really hope they change optic tract/optic nerve/LGN/etc question. Jon Q. in our class found something in Kandel that basically says you can't have the described defect unless you lesion the optic chiasm. Whoops, that wasn't one of the choices.

What was the supposedly correct answer on that one? I looked at that one for a long time.

Thus far, they've only changed the one question that had no answer right?

What was the supposedly correct answer on that one? I looked at that one for a long time.

Thus far, they've only changed the one question that had no answer right?

That the only one I know about, but I hope they change more, it seems to me more people are upset about this one then the last one from what I have heard. What have you guys heard.

That the only one I know about, but I hope they change more, it seems to me more people are upset about this one then the last one from what I have heard. What have you guys heard.

I heard that it blew ass. It did. Every test blows ass for me. Other people seem like they say that the test was terrible but the averages are always 88-94 so they are lying for social acceptance.

What does the facial nerve do in the vomit reflex? It is on page 522 of the phys notes. I'm guessing the crazy tortured face that people make is just part of the reflex.

I heard that it blew ass. It did. Every test blows ass for me. Other people seem like they say that the test was terrible but the averages are always 88-94 so they are lying for social acceptance.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I never seem to know more than one or two people who did poorly on an exam (Kevin's motto, loud and proud, is P=MD), but I always know who did really well. Makes me wonder...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know what you mean. I never seem to know more than one or two people who did poorly on an exam (Kevin's motto, loud and proud, is P=MD), but I always know who did really well. Makes me wonder...

i always figured those people were just actually upset with an 88 or something like that, which is sad, cause that's a good score on pretty much any med school test.

hey akpete, what cell service are you using? does it work at all at Normandy Village? I want to dump US Cellular and i'm hoping someone like sprint has a better signal? I would also like to dump my digital apartment line or just get a cheapo landline, but i don't want to do that if my cell will once again fail on every call i make from my room.

hey akpete, what cell service are you using? does it work at all at Normandy Village? I want to dump US Cellular and i'm hoping someone like sprint has a better signal? I would also like to dump my digital apartment line or just get a cheapo landline, but i don't want to do that if my cell will once again fail on every call i make from my room.

I got T-mobile, which works everywhere but my apartment. It does usually work out on my balcony, but would cut out occasionally. Works in the parking lot too. I think it's the damn brick buildings or something cuz I'm not aware of any cell service that works in Normandy. Everyone in my area talks on their cells outside. So I got vonage in septemberish. I got the 500 minute plan. Including taxes it's $18.84/month and includes voicemail that you can also check online. Yeah, another bill that I don't need, but whatever. I forward all my cell calls to my vonage phone when I'm at home.

I had Time Warner's all-in-one for about a month. Ridiculous. The bill did not go up $22.10/mo. like the commercials say. Bitches. $40 for digital phone...give me a break. Vonage is exactly the same service.

What about the "Antithrombin says to the thrombin 'Eat me, I am a substrate for you!" (In a German accent.)

Today, in the phys test, I momentarily forgot what Heparin does. However, the above statement reminded me. :D

Thanks, Ashers. I'll buy you a Fresca.

For a limited time, Xandie can be found in the library at one of the computers. A rare sighting to be sure.

For a limited time, Xandie can be found in the library at one of the computers. A rare sighting to be sure.

eated.jpg

That's a cute kitty baby! But what does that have to do with me and the library? Let's focus on me, kids.

:p

That's a cute kitty baby! But what does that have to do with me and the library? Let's focus on me, kids.

:p

you're just mad cause you thought my "special tool" was something else.

it's so true!!!!!!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJyyJ2qur0[/YOUTUBE]

Jeeze, that was an incredible video. How bad can med school be if you have the time to do all of that?

seriously, this week has been much worse than finals last semester. I'm gonna die. for realz this time.

seriously, this week has been much worse than finals last semester. I'm gonna die. for realz this time.

For me, medical school is a lot like Office Space. Every day is almost always worse than the last. So if you come across me in the library on any given day, that day is probably the worst of my life.

Only partially kidding.

CTB in the hizzie!

Jeeze, that was an incredible video. How bad can med school be if you have the time to do all of that?

they're probably all low-passing CTB though. And neuro.

or it's an osteopathic school (just kidding!!)

Did the hematopoiesis stuff blind side you all last year?

"my ass is sore" -M1

"my ass is sore" -M1

i do remember it being one of the more difficult things to deal with, but I don't recall it being particularly horrible for us. what were they doing?

For me, medical school is a lot like Office Space. Every day is almost always worse than the last. So if you come across me in the library on any given day, that day is probably the worst of my life.

Only partially kidding.

I am afraid you are only wearing 7 pieces of flare which is unacceptable and grounds for termination

I am afraid you are only wearing 7 pieces of flare which is unacceptable and grounds for termination

my white coat has i think 5 pieces, not counting the fact that I tie-dyed it.

There was all this hematopoetic drama my first year because they specifically told us we wouldn't have to identify what cell line it was, but just what stage it was (like bands or whatever, but not whether it was a neutrophil or a basophil) and then the test had all these questions on it. It was very serious for everyone at the time... now it just makes me laugh.

i do remember it being one of the more difficult things to deal with, but I don't recall it being particularly horrible for us. what were they doing?
they said to know it all, basically. grades still aren't up though. grrr.

"my ass is sore" -M1

I recall knowing that we had to know way more than anyone should know.

Just wait until you hit the hematology and oncology block in path next year. Hang on to your asses.

If someone ever asks me where the soul is, I am going to tell them that it is in the bone marrow. It is so complicated in there that it'll take them 20 years to prove me wrong, or right.

well done guys!
way to go keepin this thread alive!

So i'm gonna be part of the incomming class and was wondering whether med school was what u expected it to be...or was it way different?

I plan on spending this summer doing a whole lot of nothing...but did any of u study the summer before your first semester?

well done guys!

So i'm gonna be part of the incomming class and was wondering whether med school was what u expected it to be...or was it way different?

I plan on spending this summer doing a whole lot of nothing...but did any of u study the summer before your first semester?

congrats and welcome!

it's more stressful than I expected, and less fun from an academic standpoint. at least, 2nd year is. but i've met some great people and overall it's a great place to be.

definitely don't study over summer. go somewhere you want to see, read the books you want to read for fun, and run wild and free through the meadows.

You won't be at any disadvantage if you relax your summer away...in fact you might be in better shape. Just enjoy it!

"my ass is sore" -M1

i think most of what i did was remember the color of the cell and the shape and size of the nucleus and that was most of it

But the announcement that the lab exam is up is up, even though it's notl Yay!
Actually, it is, but not where she said it is. Click "What's new" on the Guide, and it'll have it under "Content."

Wow, typing under the influence is hard. :p

Actually, it is, but not where she said it is. Click "What's new" on the Guide, and it'll have it under "Content."

Wow, typing under the influence is hard. :p

Just found it. Thanks!

well done guys!

I actually did study a little bit--I got a textbook for med school biochem (not the one we use) from a university library and read through it a bit. It may have taken some of the deer-in-the-headlights feeling out of biochem, but probably didn't actually help my grade. I recommend doing this ONLY IF you are a classic worrywart and will waste precious summer relaxation time worrying that you should be studying. If cracking the book takes away that awful feeling, it's worth it for you.

If you're not that kind of person (which I most certainly am), then please don't bother, unless you've never seen biochem before in your entire life, in which case I actually do recommend you put in about ten hours over the course of the entire summer memorizing the classes and shapes of the amino acids, which does make some of the memorizing in biochem much easier, because you can say things like, "Oh, that pathway includes the aromatics plus leucine! Easy!" or "This enzyme works on the small-chain aliphatics, because it has that little hydrophobic pocket!"

Yes, this is the kind of thing that is exciting in med school: that you have already memorized something that now allows you to memorize one stupid useless fact instead of five or six. Sorry about that.

Anyway, on the whole, enjoy the summer unless you are a nerd like me.

Oh, and med school was almost exactly what I expected it to be: Like Alice in Wonderland, you have to run as fast as you can to stay in one place: You have to do a lot of work to be mediocre. I do have a little time to see friends and sleep enough at night that I'm not going nuts, and actually increasing my sleep has improved my grades. The biggest surprise to me was that I thought I'd be fine with the average performance I expected to turn in in med school, but in fact it was a big adjustment for me. But I never contemplated being one of those people who live in the books, stay up all night during exam week, and become so focused that for some reason I believe the five minutes wasted in showering will affect my grade.

I actually did study a little bit--I got a textbook for med school biochem (not the one we use) from a university library and read through it a bit. It may have taken some of the deer-in-the-headlights feeling out of biochem, but probably didn't actually help my grade. I recommend doing this ONLY IF you are a classic worrywart and will waste precious summer relaxation time worrying that you should be studying. If cracking the book takes away that awful feeling, it's worth it for you.

If you're not that kind of person (which I most certainly am), then please don't bother, unless you've never seen biochem before in your entire life, in which case I actually do recommend you put in about ten hours over the course of the entire summer memorizing the classes and shapes of the amino acids, which does make some of the memorizing in biochem much easier, because you can say things like, "Oh, that pathway includes the aromatics plus leucine! Easy!" or "This enzyme works on the small-chain aliphatics, because it has that little hydrophobic pocket!"

Yes, this is the kind of thing that is exciting in med school: that you have already memorized something that now allows you to memorize one stupid useless fact instead of five or six. Sorry about that.

Anyway, on the whole, enjoy the summer unless you are a nerd like me.

I would say if you find yourself in a case like hers, it's okay to preview, but in contradiction to what she said, I wouldn't try to memorize anything. It will get lost in the jumble of the first few weeks probably anyway. Familiarizing yourself with how things look might be less stressful.

well done guys!

Yay... at least someone appreciates us keeping the thread going. =)

Congrats to getting in. You'll love it here. They take good care of you.

Ok, I hope my response makes sense. I didn't study before school started. I worked until the end of June, then some friends from London visited, and I played tour guide around Maui for them. (I got off the waitlist fairly late). I completely ignored the biochem paper saying to study.

I would say if you find yourself in a case like hers, it's okay to preview, but in contradiction to what she said, I wouldn't try to memorize anything. It will get lost in the jumble of the first few weeks probably anyway. Familiarizing yourself with how things look might be less stressful.

Agreed. My advice applies only to whackjobs like me. :)

Yay... at least someone appreciates us keeping the thread going. =)

You'll love it here. They take good care of you.

sounds like someone is still a bit "mu agonized."

sounds like someone is still a bit "mu agonized."

perhaps I was in a slightly euphoric state before I crashed into a few hours of sedation. If you want to find out how I really feel. Look for my posts regarding CER and pathology.

but i think the "they take good care of you" refered to the registrars helping my parents locate me in the hospital, and the hospital keeping me opioided up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.