*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have been accepted to MCW, and my gpa is ~3.90. However, I'm taking a genetics class right now and its kinda rockin my world. I hope to get a 3.5, if i'm absolutely lucky, but if I end up with a 3.0, how bad does that look? Will it look like I'm slackin off in my last semester, even though thats not the case?

If you're already accepted, and you get a B, that's not going to jeopardize the "you must keep up your grades" statement on your admission letter. No one on the faculty will know or care if you get a B in genetics in undergrad. Welcome to MCW!:)

Members don't see this ad.

that's not 100% accurate. He actually did approach me and speak to me at the organization fair at the beginning of the school year. I don't think he realized who it was at the time though, and this was before our pact. But still, he technically cracked first by coming to me. So very long ago.
See, we did speak, but it didn't constitute "cracking," because like you said, I don't think I knew it was you, and you hadn't thrown down the gauntlet yet.

However, in the past week or so, Splat has walked up to the person I've been talking to (Joe, a NON-SDNer, and Ashers yesterday) and started talking to them. There were some awkward third person references involved both times. He does have an awfully pleasant voice despite his fearsome demeanor.

Members don't see this ad :)
He does have an awfully pleasant voice despite his fearsome demeanor.

Guess you didn't see him belting out show tunes from musicals prior to our pharm exam last week. You'd see you are wrong on both counts.

See, we did speak, but it didn't constitute "cracking," because like you said, I don't think I knew it was you, and you hadn't thrown down the gauntlet yet.

However, in the past week or so, Splat has walked up to the person I've been talking to (Joe, a NON-SDNer, and Ashers yesterday) and started talking to them. There were some awkward third person references involved both times. He does have an awfully pleasant voice despite his fearsome demeanor.

His voice is still deeper than yours though. Different tonal qualities though.

Like I care what people's voices sound like.

You better care if you want to find out who the real crooners are.

51995191_9d815cba21_m.jpg

GOULET!

Well, about a month after getting in, I think I am picking MCW over SLU. So, it looks like i'll be joining the MCW class of 2011

Well, about a month after getting in, I think I am picking MCW over SLU. So, it looks like i'll be joining the MCW class of 2011

Now we're talking! Congratulations and welcome to the crew. ;) What U of MN campus did you attend? I got my BS at the Twin Cities campus.

I'm getting my BA at the UM-TC also

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else freak out when they saw their EFC on the FAFSA? There is no way I could come up with that kind of money up front without selling everything I own and donating a kidney on the black market. I know the finaid guy said it's no problem to get loans no matter how much your EFC is, but is that really true? And do you get crappier loans because your EFC is higher?

Did anyone else freak out when they saw their EFC on the FAFSA? There is no way I could come up with that kind of money up front without selling everything I own and donating a kidney on the black market. I know the finaid guy said it's no problem to get loans no matter how much your EFC is, but is that really true? And do you get crappier loans because your EFC is higher?
um, mine was only like $3000 last year, and I had made a reasonable amount for a college senior the year before. I haven't done mine yet this year - although I intend to very soon! For undergrad, my EFC was like $27,000 one year, even though that would have been over half of my parents' after-tax income, and they have, oh, five other children, one of whom was also in college.

You'll still get loans because your annual expenses are huge ($35K in tuition + everything else).

um, mine was only like $3000 last year, and I had made a reasonable amount for a college senior the year before. I haven't done mine yet this year - although I intend to very soon! For undergrad, my EFC was like $27,000 one year, even though that would have been over half of my parents' after-tax income, and they have, oh, five other children, one of whom was also in college.

You'll still get loans because your annual expenses are huge ($35K in tuition + everything else).

Damn.

I get all the money I need every year (I take out the max), and my EFC is usually >17,000.

exactly. i'm talking half our income. who do these people think they are?

I get all the money I need every year (I take out the max), and my EFC is usually >17,000.

so does the EFC even matter when you want to get federal loans?

so does the EFC even matter when you want to get federal loans?

Not really. If it's HUGE (way more than the $14,000 mine was), it could affect your subsidized Staffords, but it doesn't affect your unsubsidized Stafford eligibility AT ALL as far as I can see.

Well at least it's not on cute puppies.

What's that like, you guys? Do you participate actively or just observe? Do you anesthetize a happy, scampy little pooch and then cut into it, or do the dogs arrive already knocked out? What exactly gets done with the little beasties while they're on the table, and how long does the whole procedure last? Do most students participate, or is it only a minority? Do they make MS1s comb the neighborhood stealing dogs out of people's yards to keep the supply up? (j/k)

They're already unconscious when we walked in, and we put catheters and pressure transducers in the femoral arteries and veins. We opened up the neck to get at the carotids and vagus nerves, and we cracked the chest so we could look at the heart directly. All but 12-15 students participated this year, I think.

And the dogs are retired hunting dogs that probably would have simply been taken out back and shot, but they're sold to a USDA-licensed vendor for a few bucks, and that's where MCW gets them. People have mentioned that the vendor has been "cited" for things in the past, but no specifics, so my guess is that it's for minor things, not animal abuse. OSHA will cite you for having an electrical outlet too close to the floor.

hi everyone... i was accepted in december and will most likely be attending mcw in the fall. i know this topic has been touched on in this forum already-- but i am just wondering what specific areas of milwaukee are considered unsafe so i can stay away from them, and which areas are good. i don't really mind commuting to school-- i am from chicago, so i am used to only being able to drive like 2 miles in 20 minutes =) thanks in advance!!

hi everyone... i was accepted in december and will most likely be attending mcw in the fall. i know this topic has been touched on in this forum already-- but i am just wondering what specific areas of milwaukee are considered unsafe so i can stay away from them, and which areas are good. i don't really mind commuting to school-- i am from chicago, so i am used to only being able to drive like 2 miles in 20 minutes =) thanks in advance!!

Congrats. =)

All of the areas around the school, for a few miles at least, and pretty much everything west are safe. Most people tend to live in Wauwatosa, but since I'm antisocial, rarely leave my apartment, and get lost everytime I go downtown, I'll let other people comment.

I live at the Reserve -- it's gated, but the area's not unsafe, and it's about 2 miles from school. It took 45 min to drive to school the other day with the stupid snow. Usually it takes 10 min.

there are tons of apartments for rent around school within a 10 minute drive without using the highway, and those are all in pretty safe places to be if you're just gonna live alone or with a roommate. Most of the nasty stuff happens east of 60th street (i think that's the "threshold" and farther north...so northeast milwaukee. but if you're in the Wauwatosa area you should be pretty safe. are you bringing a family with you? then there's some other people that can dispense better advice than I regarding other areas.

EDIT: Dammit, ashers. beat me. just for that i refuse to help you with your creavage.

there are tons of apartments for rent around school within a 10 minute drive without using the highway, and those are all in pretty safe places to be if you're just gonna live alone or with a roommate. Most of the nasty stuff happens east of 60th street (i think that's the "threshold" and farther north...so northeast milwaukee. but if you're in the Wauwatosa area you should be pretty safe. are you bringing a family with you? then there's some other people that can dispense better advice than I regarding other areas.

EDIT: Dammit, ashers. beat me. just for that i refuse to help you with your creavage.

Hahaha... I beat you by 3 min. That should've given you plenty of time to read my response.

alot of the places i've seen on like craigslist and other apt searches are really vintage... are most of the places in and around wauwatosa that aren't posted online vintage?

alot of the places i've seen on like craigslist and other apt searches are really vintage... are most of the places in and around wauwatosa that aren't posted online vintage?

Vintage? I think when I first moved here I looked at 1 duplex that was old. This is the place I live. There's a photo link somewhere on the page. Built in 2000 I think. The school has a bunch of houses/duplexes/quadruplexes around it, some apartments.

Ashers- I was actually interested in the Reserve. then I read some bad reviews about it on some apt review website. Is any of the following true??

"These apartments are some of the worst in Milwaukee.They are an expensive college dormitory with half of the up keep of a dorm.The office area is very nice, but that is it.The carpets in the common areas are stained with pet feces and urine.The halls stink.Most of the light fixtures are broken or missing.It is constantly noisy like a college dorm.The units them selves are poorly designed, especially the kitchen.Some of the drawers will not open unless you open the refrigerator.The appliances are outdated and do not work well.The carpet is cheap, and not changed between tenants.And then there is the management, which has to be the most unprofessional staff I have ever encountered.They are not helpful.They do not respond to maintenance requests.A toilet that was broken for 10 months, and that they would not fix until it flooded the apartment below.My advice would be to spend your money somewhere else.You get nothing for your money except a headache."

Ashers- I was actually interested in the Reserve. then I read some bad reviews about it on some apt review website. Is any of the following true??

"These apartments are some of the worst in Milwaukee.They are an expensive college dormitory with half of the up keep of a dorm.The office area is very nice, but that is it.The carpets in the common areas are stained with pet feces and urine.The halls stink.Most of the light fixtures are broken or missing.It is constantly noisy like a college dorm.The units them selves are poorly designed, especially the kitchen.Some of the drawers will not open unless you open the refrigerator.The appliances are outdated and do not work well.The carpet is cheap, and not changed between tenants.And then there is the management, which has to be the most unprofessional staff I have ever encountered.They are not helpful.They do not respond to maintenance requests.A toilet that was broken for 10 months, and that they would not fix until it flooded the apartment below.My advice would be to spend your money somewhere else.You get nothing for your money except a headache."

I'll pm you. It's defintely not as bad as that review says. The only blatantly true thing is they don't change the carpets.

It varies, but yes, a lot of duplexes and houses and 4-plexes are older. Some have been nicely updated with newer kitchens and baths, but quite a few have those teensy little postwar closets, which I didn't care for and which made apartment hunting a chore for me. There are a few newer places on State Street, and some from the 70's or so in nearby West Allis or west of Mayfair road in Wauwatosa (aka Tosa). There's also Tosa Village around 68th and State Street. Not new luxury condos, but not the older 40's or so housing, either.

there is also Normandy Village where I live which is okay, but not amazing. It's about a 7-10 minute drive west of school. there's an outdoor pool available in the warm weather.

they're pretty quick to respond to damage/repair stuff, but my only serious complaint was that they almost didn't have new carpeting put in when I made it clear I wanted it...luckily I came back to take measurments the week before I moved in and saw that nothing had been done to the place. they fixed it up pretty quick and it looked okay when I got here. Some deficiencies in cleaning though (i.e old rags behind the oven, a butter tray left in the dishwasher (matches a teacup a friend gave me perfectly though...which is pretty creepy).

But it's otherwise kinda cozy and the buildings are set back a bit so you don't feel like you're on a busy street. plus there's an (overpriced) grocery store nearby, the YMCA is right next door (though we have a free workout center here open 24hrs), and the mall is just down the road.

Serafino is straight up ballin'. Most stuff in the area was built around WWII, honestly. My closets are tiny. :mad:

the guy driving the M coupe is BAD ASS

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vozhy_hOzno[/YOUTUBE]

on the subject of housing. How did most of you go about finding a place to live your first year? And people to live with? Is the roommate list thing they offer worthwhile?

on the subject of housing. How did most of you go about finding a place to live your first year? And people to live with? Is the roommate list thing they offer worthwhile?

My mom and I looked up apartments online, made appointments to view them, and she also drove around before I got here and found duplexes to look at.

I live by myself. I didn't want a roommate. There's a roommate list they'll send out in the summer or something.

I did find my roommate off the roommate list, and I'm very happy with her. She's a very nice person and besides, she cleans when she's under stress. You've probably gathered that med school is very stressful. There's a little form you fill out and then you call the people on the list and talk to them and it can work okay.

You have to come into the MCW office to actually see people's forms, though. All they send out is contact info. The form includes helpful information about religious preferences if you care about your roommate's faith, do you mind if the roommate has an overnight guest of the opposite sex, pet questions, and helpful things like that.

I lived in the area, but not close to campus, so I just took some time in April and drove around looking at signs and writing down phone numbers. I also used the newspaper and the flyers posted on the bulletin board near the MCW cafeteria. It was a long process for me because I wanted large bedrooms and closets for a price I could afford. If you don't have a lot of junk, it's a lot easier.

i just said the same thing as samenewme, so I'm deleting it. what the hell is my problem? oh yeah...3 hours of sleep. off to do blood draws!

the guy driving the M coupe is BAD ASS

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vozhy_hOzno[/YOUTUBE]

I saw 222 km/h which is something like 140 on an open road. Holy ****. The guy on the motorcycle seemed to know his way around a 6 speed pretty well too.

What was the premise of that video? If it was a police chase how'd they get those cameras on the side of the road?

I saw 222 km/h which is something like 140 on an open road. Holy ****. The guy on the motorcycle seemed to know his way around a 6 speed pretty well too.

What was the premise of that video? If it was a police chase how'd they get those cameras on the side of the road?
Probably staged. ;) Somebody on another forum said that the siren was just a sound effect somebody decided to add later on.

If you want craziness on a motorcycle, look up anything on Ghostrider. Rumor has it he's dead now. :eek: But it's hard to confirm, since they're not really sure who it is. Anyhow, he's got a clip in The Final Ride where he went 42 miles in 16 minutes or so. Averaged 170mph, and he exceeded 200 a few times. In fairly heavy traffic, while doing things like going between semis (in one scene, he goes down the centerline of a 2-lane road with a semi on either side going opposite directions).

Then he's got a clip of himself on a Hayabusa turbo (417 horsepower on a 500 pound bike - that's like four times the power:weight ratio of an Enzo) doing a 208mph wheelie. The engine on the bike just sounds like it's going to come alive and consume Andy's soul.

Probably staged. ;) Somebody on another forum said that the siren was just a sound effect somebody decided to add later on.

If you want craziness on a motorcycle, look up anything on Ghostrider. Rumor has it he's dead now. :eek: But it's hard to confirm, since they're not really sure who it is. Anyhow, he's got a clip in The Final Ride where he went 42 miles in 16 minutes or so. Averaged 170mph, and he exceeded 200 a few times. In fairly heavy traffic, while doing things like going between semis (in one scene, he goes down the centerline of a 2-lane road with a semi on either side going opposite directions).

Then he's got a clip of himself on a Hayabusa turbo (417 horsepower on a 500 pound bike - that's like four times the power:weight ratio of an Enzo) doing a 208mph wheelie. The engine on the bike just sounds like it's going to come alive and consume Andy's soul.

I wonder what his brain looks like on a fMRI. They say people like that (bomb squad guys etc) have lower basal arousal levels and so they use risky behavior to maintain a normal level of arousal. This gives them an advantage when they're driving 208mph on a motorcycle because they can maintain optimal arousal without their brain teling them that death is eminent.

You're really into motorcycles and cars and power and speed, aren't you? Do you find people like me mystifying and a bit unsettling, or just quaint?

doesn't chulito mean small dick? No wait...that is chilito. Close.

by the way, you can get chilitos at taco bell. heehee.

Status
Not open for further replies.