MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, I got some advice from The Prowler about this, now I'm wondering what the other upperclassmen have to say.

What did you use for physio, and did you actually even buy a book or just check it out from the library? The notes seem very comprehensive (the stack is HUGE).

What about for histology? Did you buy the Wheater's? I checked out high-yield histo from academic affairs and a few other histo books, I'll probably end up returning a few. I got "Look-alikes in histology" "Color Textbook of Histology" "High-Yield Histo" and "Molecular Basis of Medical Cell Biology". Are you familiar with any of these, and would you recommend any? The "Look-alikes in histo" book seems helpful, I don't know about the others at this point.

Any suggestions/advice for Neuro? Thank you for all the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked out high-yield histo from academic affairs and a few other histo books, I'll probably end up returning a few. I got "Look-alikes in histology" "Color Textbook of Histology" "High-Yield Histo" and "Molecular Basis of Medical Cell Biology". .

Academic affairs has a library?

Academic affairs has a library?

Yeah, well, not really a library... but a big book shelf. They have a bunch of books for each subject. You just pick out the book and sign your name in a binder and what book you are taking. They don't really have required textbooks like Wheater's and Netter Atlas and all, but they have good supplemental books.

:(

Do any of you guys have BRS Physio and/or Wheater's that you would like to sell?

I think they have one of those ridiculously simple books for neuro, I'm going to look into that.

Actually, yes. I can see the Wheater's on my bookshelf right now. I'll have to look to see if I have BRS Phys. PM me if you're interested in buying.

ridiculous neuro is good...better than the neuro course.

Neuro with Krippendorf as course director was actually quite a good class. (I think most people in my class would agree.) You should do readings from the Nolte and Blumenfeld books for the trickier topics though. Most of the lecturers follow them closely.

Dr. Woo clinical lectures = MUST read Blumenfeld!!!

Anyone know how long till we get our anatomy and devo grades?

So I figured out that we have to read the book for cardio when Cowley lectures. What about for Dr. Liard? What other topics in physio are MUST reads in Guyton?

Kidney... read that section.

And draw one big giant nephron at the beginning of the kidney lectures and start labeling what goes in and what comes out at each part of the tubule, and why. You will be much happier when it's time to put it all together at exam time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, draw a nephron at some point -- I drew mine right before the exam, and I used mine to study for step 1. I kinda want to get it framed because it is so awesome. I wish I had brought it with me to CA to study for step2. I also wish I had brought my Sebastian EKG review packet.

Now that I'm into my second half of M1 year here at MCW, I have a few random questions.

Why did MCW split from Marquette?

Why do people talk about the dog lab like it is infamous here at MCW, even though other med schools did it too? What was the last year they did the dog lab?

Now that I'm into my second half of M1 year here at MCW, I have a few random questions.

Why did MCW split from Marquette?

i'm not sure. i think it was a combo of money and being land-locked downtown with no room to build big, nice buildings.

badasshairday said:
Why do people talk about the dog lab like it is infamous here at MCW, even though other med schools did it too? What was the last year they did the dog lab?

uh, did they not do it last year? i guess then the last time would have been 2007. not sure why it gets so much of a worse rap here than the other schools who have continued dog labs.

I thought M1 psych lectures explained the split from marquette.

Are the M3s the last class to use dogs instead of pigs?

Someone should go stalk the pig lab for bacon.

They talk about the dog lab because the whole school would be on lockdown. And there were tons more protesters than for the pigs

I thought M1 psych lectures explained the split from marquette.

Are the M3s the last class to use dogs instead of pigs?

Someone should go stalk the pig lab for bacon.

They talk about the dog lab because the whole school would be on lockdown. And there were tons more protesters than for the pigs

yeah, but why are we targeted so much more than the other schools that have continued dog labs? MCW is brought up so much more.

I thought it was because students complained to some of the national orgs our M1 year

i was thinking about how its often our school getting brought up on the internet, even before that, but maybe...

i don't remember the exact story, but one student really got involved and others ended up involved by association and had the orgs contacting them rather than the other way around. i forget, my memories fade after 3 years.

whatever...

a rainbow is neither rain, nor a bow. Discuss...

i was thinking about how its often our school getting brought up on the internet, even before that, but maybe...

i don't remember the exact story, but one student really got involved and others ended up involved by association and had the orgs contacting them rather than the other way around. i forget, my memories fade after 3 years.

whatever...

a rainbow is neither rain, nor a bow. Discuss...

Yeah, I don't know for sure. There were tons of stories, and I was getting mail about it.

(I'm verklempt);)

Are there any breakfast places (not chains such as IHOP or DENNYs) that is reasonably close by to MCW?

How about delis?

I've tried using Yelp and Google and there seems to be a dead-zone around us.

Are there any breakfast places (not chains such as IHOP or DENNYs) that is reasonably close by to MCW?

How about delis?

I've tried using Yelp and Google and there seems to be a dead-zone around us.

I got very frustrated at the dearth of restaurants the Wauwatosa area. There just isn't a whole lot. I think City Market right across the street might have some breakfast offerings.

There's a cafe right next to the hardware store, across from Noodles and co in tosa village that has a decent breakfast, refillable coffee, and free wi-fi. Studied there a few times m1 and m2 year. I forget the name of the place. On Underwood.

My parents just found a place, but since I don't usually go to breakfast places, I don't remember what it was. However, since they serve breakfast all day, and I'd get airline miles for eating there, maybe I'll ask them next time I talk to them.

My parents just found a place, but since I don't usually go to breakfast places, I don't remember what it was. However, since they serve breakfast all day, and I'd get airline miles for eating there, maybe I'll ask them next time I talk to them.

Did you find out?

there's also a french cafe by noodle and co that opened, i think, last summer. i bet they have good breakfast. crepes and whatnot. haven't eaten there, been meaning to, so i don't really know.

There's a cafe right next to the hardware store, across from Noodles and co in tosa village that has a decent breakfast, refillable coffee, and free wi-fi. Studied there a few times m1 and m2 year. I forget the name of the place. On Underwood.

oh! i think this one is called one way cafe.

Are Liang's lectures for Renal physio worth listening to? His notes seem pretty clear cut. Should I just go straight to Guyton after looking over his notes?

Hey guys. I've been accepted for next year's class and I'm trying to get an idea for cost of living for the area and how close you guys stick the COA/budget the fin aid office determines. I've got 3 acceptances right now and tuition is fairly similar among them so I'm taking a closer look at cost of living.

I'm finding a huge disparity between schools in the amount they budget for different categories (Transportation School A: $1000 Transportation School B: $3500). I realize rent is obviously different between different cities, but there are enormous differences in amounts budgeted for personal costs, food, transportation, etc. by the various schools.

What's your experience? How close do you guys stick to the school's COA?

Last edited:
I found the cost of living here to be about 2/3rds of what it is in other similarly sized cities.

I think the cost of living sucks. But again, I have to pay for high medical costs. My parents chip in to help me pay for it. They also assume you have a roommate and only give 500 for rent and utilities which is almost impossible to do if you're by yourself.

Sadly, the financial aid isn't very forgiving for people that like to take up expensive new hobbies, then quickly forget about it and move on to a new one. :(

Sadly, the financial aid isn't very forgiving for people that like to take up expensive new hobbies, then quickly forget about it and move on to a new one. :(
yeah, Splat got into Airsoft, as seen in this photo below:

146462ee-ffe7-485d-8160-bf76.jpg

yeah, Splat got into Airsoft, as seen in this photo below:

146462ee-ffe7-485d-8160-bf76.jpg

Man, I've gained so much weight since that photo was taken. Hard to look back at what you used to be and remember the good times.

I think our financial aid office gives us a pretty tight budget for cost of living. But doable. Keep in mind the assumption of having a roommate. I did notice though today that the rent/utilities budget for 09-10 is up to $700 per month, which is a big step up. :thumbup:

I think our financial aid office gives us a pretty tight budget for cost of living. But doable. Keep in mind the assumption of having a roommate. I did notice though today that the rent/utilities budget for 09-10 is up to $700 per month, which is a big step up. :thumbup:

That's a few years overdue.

Alright badasshairday, yesterday at CPR there was someone from your class leading a group who is doing anesthesia research in Dr. Warltier's lab this summer. That must have been you, right?

Alright badasshairday, yesterday at CPR there was someone from your class leading a group who is doing anesthesia research in Dr. Warltier's lab this summer. That must have been you, right?

Close... so close, but no not me. I do know who you are talking about though. I remember passing by the room with all the CPR stuff going on and seeing who you are talking about.