MCW or NYMC: which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellojed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a personal decision type thing, but I was wondering what you guys thought anyways. I had a better overall feeling about MCW, but then again I thought NYMC had really great campus housing and their anatomy lab was pretty cool and having the clinical training in NYC sounds more appealing to me than Milwaukee (no offense to anyone!) On the other hand, I've heard some bad things about NYMC, that the students are pretty competitive and unhappy there (although my host I stayed with said that wasn't always the case, depends on your classmates) and I've always heard great things about MCW. Does anyone have any more input as to which one to choose over the other? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!!! :D :) :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think the opportunity to live in NYC for the last two years would sway me towards NYMC. Though I don't really know much about MCW, you are right about NY having a really nice campus and housing. I am actually deciding between my state school and NY med at this point and pretty much the things these are my thoughts about NY:

Advantages:
High board scores (like 100%)
Clinical experience in NYC
Living in NYC last two years
Nice Facilities (new!)
Students I met seemed pretty nice

Disadvantages
First two years in the middle of nowhere
Have heard that people study tons

Hmm... that's all I can think of now. So what were your thoughts on MCW though? Actually I applied there and have not heard anything yet...I called today and they said I should hear something by the end of the month....

oh yeah I forgot one of the most important:
Disadvatage: Money! NY Med total student budget : 50 thou a year

Members don't see this ad :)
Hellojed,

I thought I'd give the MCW side of things since I am now a 4th year there. I interviewed at both of these schools and know a little about NYMC as well. Just so you know, I am not from Wisconsin or the Midwest and actually went to high school on the east coast and college in California.

Students: Generally a happy bunch, good administrative support of student body. Probably about 10-20 really competitive people per class who kiss ass and annoy everyone else. The majority are laid back and work well together. In a large class of 200+, there are often cliques formed. I personally had a group of 10-15 people that I hung out with most of the time and 4-5 really good friends.

Pre-clinical: The first two years (pre-clinical) years were a great experience for me. The curriculum is somewhat traditional, but more and more PBLs and clinical courses are being added. The monthly block exam system worked well for me because I could slack off for 2 weeks (and miss a lot of classes) and still be able to do above the mean on exams. There is a great note-taking service that everyone participates in which makes up for any missed lectures. The new lecture hall is state of the art.

Clinical years: I don't think NYC has that much of an advantage in terms of the types of diseases and patients seen (Milwaukee is a decent sized metropolitan area of >1.5 million). The main hospital, Froedert, is very new and has some of the best facilities of any of the schools I've been to (I've interviewed at 16 different places for residency and 5 for med school).

City: I was apprehensive about Milwaukee as a town when I first moved here. It really has grown on me and has a variety of things to do. It is possible to have an active social life. I'll admit, its no NYC. If you crave big city life, Chicago is 1.5 hours away.

Housing: The housing at NYMC seems cool, but I can't imagine living with all medical students in the middle of nowhere. I need some outside contact. There are plenty of great apartments near the campus or in downtown (20 minutes away). No horrific traffic like in NY. Did I mention the prices are great?

I think both schools will offer you a great education. I personally have been very happy with MCW for the past 3.5 years.

Although I didn't complete my application to MCW (not sure why) and interviewed at NYMC last year, I'd have to say go with MCW. It has a somewhat better reputation, and I have heard that people are less competitive and friendlier (I found this to be true when I interviewed at another school in the Midwest). If MCW is Honors/Pass/Fail or Pass/Fail, that would also be a good reason to go to MCW. good luck!

--Kate/TUSM M'05

Thanks for all your input guys, it really helps a lot! Megkudos, my thoughts on MCW were all positive ones. Their admissions office was by far the friendliest and most receptive of all the schools I've applied to. All the students I met were super nice, and they told me that having the exams in the block system was good also for people who are from CA like me, so after your exams you can take a weekend to go back home and chill out. At NYMC, my host said they get tested continuously, and their finals consist of "mini" board exams, which is one reason for their high board scores but adds a whole lot of stress. I definitely had a better overall "vibe" about MCW, despite the perks that I mentioned above that I liked about NYMC. Thanks again for all your guys' help!!! :D :D