MCW vs Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway2026

Reaction score
Please do not quote!!
Both schools are excellent and I don’t think either will be a disadvantage. Would like to keep my speciality options open, potential interest in cardiology. Would like to match in Midwest, Chicago would be really cool. will not include cost since both are approx $60/yr on average for tuition. Students seem happy at both.

MCW MKE
Pros:
- very strong match list imo. Appears students match competitively. (Mayo, Hopkins, UCSF, HMS hospitals). So I presume most programs regard it highly
-Exams: end of blocks every 6 weeks or so. Full exam week with no classes/labs
-not many mandatory preclinical activities per week (2 per week) on campus. Flexibility with remote learning
-Research hub. ~$100M in NIH grants, students are required to do a scholarly project and have pathways tracks made to enable research as a student.
-campus/hospitals. Beautiful campus. Huge medical complex (Milwaukee regional medical center). Has level 1 trauma with tertiary (Froedtert), childrens of Wisconsin, cancer center, etc. VA just down the street.
- Curriculum: Lecture-based curriculum with some group learning
- P/F preclinical no internal rank
- has longer summer break after M1.
-in house specialities to work with regardless of specialty I decide

Cons:
- Milwaukee is great but is no Chicago.

Neutral:
- not sure it matter, PD ranking typically 45 ish. Has not participated in USWNR for some years. Slightly higher than rush. Likely negligible?
- Larger class size (not by much 200 vs 150ish)
- name recognition? With step 1 being P/F perhaps this will matter more. In WI it’s highly regarded and known. I assume across the medical community (not necessarily premeds) it is known.

Rush

Pros:
- impressive match list too. Lots of Chicagoland matches which is expected.
-lots of service work to keep you grounded in the beauty of our field.
-majority of students do research
-campus/hospitals. Beautiful hospital and rotate in cook county
- P/F preclinical
-in house specialities to work with via EXPLORE

Cons:
-Exams: weekly or 2x week quizzes depending on sessions. More exams. But see clarification from comment below @premed009
-downtown costs
-3-4 x week mandatory sessions on campus
- I’ve seen some negativity about the curriculum and kinks being work out. Any realistic advice on this? flipped classroom.
-internal ranking includes preclinical years

Neutral:
- this could be positive, negative or neutral. Curriculum. Seems like a great concept in theory and Works with how I function, but also feels scary to have flipped for a graduate education.
- research: has lots of research in all fields, not as much funding as NIH $45 vs $100M. Seems like if you want to research you have so many avenues. But it’s not mandatory (nice that it’s flexible. But is it worked into workload)?
-ranked on USWNR. Not sure if this matters

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hard to go wrong here. Both good schools and I think you'll have plenty of opportunities to do what you want at either. At this point I think it comes down to location and fit. Follow your gut.

Personally I'd take Milwaukee over Chicago any day of the week!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Rush med student here and wanted to clarify a few things of your lists. Rush doesn't have 5 exams per block. Honestly, its just one exam in the block that really matters. The "quizzes" are worth 1% of your grade and really don't make an impact on your block grades at all but are there just to give u an idea on how you're doing with the material. We usually have one (or two if its a super long block) formative exams which are worth 5% of our grade, again they are just to show us how we're doing with the material but don't really make an impact on our overall grades. The summative is the real block exam but they prepare us well for these in order for us to do well.

In terms of curriculum, I know there were issues like 4 years ago when they first made changes but I personally think that they've really listened to our feedback to work out all the kinks and continue to do so based on our feedback. From my experience so far, the curriculum has been fantastic for us and I would highly recommend .

Also, this is very new but Rush will no longer be using any type of class ranks for class of 2026 onwards so lucky for you all.

Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions about Rush!

Reactions: 1 users
I would go with Rush. They have a T20 hospital and being able to form those connections now that step is p/f is key. The students are known to be the chillest there and Chicago is an amazing city to be in too.

Any particular reason why?
If you want a less competitive atmosphere to study in, a less controversial curriculum, a more affordable city, double the research funding and a PD score in the 40's, go with MCW. If you don't care about those things, go with Rush which is rated higher overall. In 2018 sdn forum (rush vs MCW), a rush student makes an excellent case for the school..should be a must read.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user