MCW vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kodiak0237

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCW

Pros:
-could live at home if I chose to
-nice facilities
-about 10-12k cheaper per year not including living at home
-more research funding, which I know I want to do

Cons:
-not P/F
-6 hours from SO

SLU

Pros:
-P/F
-girlfriend (5 years) is starting M3 there now
-commitment to serving the community the school is located in
-I like STL as a city (went to undergrad here)

Cons:
-recently placed on probation by LCME. I realize it's not as big of a deal as it sounds, but it does say something that they're the only school currently on probation in the nation
-more expensive/less research funding
-not crazy about the super urban environment
-at my interview day, several students told "i didn't have a lot of choices" when I asked them why they chose to attend SLU

Obviously, the biggest reasons for SLU are the P/F and the being able to stay with my girlfriend. I'm just afraid I'll attend SLU and in two years she won't be able to match into a residency in St. Louis. I know I like MCW because I did grad school there and have several family members who attended. I'm completely lost and I go back and forth multiple times a day. I am also waitlisted at University of Wisconsin and WashU. Anyone have some insights? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends just graduated from MCW and didn't enjoy her experience. She said she felt that it was competitive throughout her time there. Though n=1 and it sounds like you know about the MCW system.

The supportive and P/F environment at SLU is huge IMO.

How does your SO like it at SLU?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app