Mcw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be eading to Milwaukee in 2009 and would like to get some information on the program. I should have paid more attention on the interview day but here we are. How is the regional anesthesia experience? how about transplants and trauma? Any info would be greatly appreciated I am just trying to refresh my memory. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be eading to Milwaukee in 2009 and would like to get some information on the program. I should have paid more attention on the interview day but here we are. How is the regional anesthesia experience? how about transplants and trauma? Any info would be greatly appreciated I am just trying to refresh my memory. Thanks.

i am a 4th year at MCW and have spent a lot of time in our anesthesia department. to answer some fo your questions, regional exposure is on the rise thanks to a few new faculty members from wake and duke respectively, and there is a regional month in your first year, with another month or so in your third year. they do liver and kidney transplants, but i don't think we do heart/lung ( i may be wrong on this one). plenty of trauma here when you are on call at Froedtert (our main hospital). if you want any more info, feel free to PM me.

so by "heading east" you mean to the midwest, huh? milwaukee is a cool town - literally in the winter, but lots of fun when it's warm out. GO BREWERS! I have no love for the Bucks... And I have nothing to add about the program. But I will vouch for the city :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to MCW during Med School. Awsome town: great bars, you will have a blast during summer fest:laugh:

Plenty of good regional experience now that the RAAPS (Regional and
Acute Pain Service) team is in full function. In addition you will be able to
do blocks on any of the patients at the VA hospital (with some good regional
teaching staff) and any patients that the RAAPS team can't manage to
squeeze in on a given day. Overall you will get plenty of blocks of a
variety of types.

As far as transplant goes - plenty of liver and kidneys for sure. We
do some heart, lung, pancreas, etc, but not a ton so it's likely you'll
only see a handful.

Trauma is not a problem. We've actually had to start keeping an
additional OR set up for them at night and on the weekends (so two ORs set up at all times just for Trauma).

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about MCW.

so by "heading east" you mean to the midwest, huh? milwaukee is a cool town - literally in the winter, but lots of fun when it's warm out. GO BREWERS! I have no love for the Bucks... And I have nothing to add about the program. But I will vouch for the city :)

Milwaukee is also home of HAPPY DAYS and the FONZ

fonzie.jpg

keeping with my TV theme.