MD and LCSW/Psychologist and split RVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone told me about the following and I wanted to confirm/refute. I tried to verify this information on my own but haven't had any luck.

In my clinic, many parents schedule their child to see me (the psychiatrist) and their therapist (LCSW, LPC, or psychologist) on the same day for convenience. I do my thing, use my E/M code (I don't do any therapy add-on codes for these), then the therapist does theirs and codes appropriately.

Someone informed me that, in such circumstances, the two providers actually end up SPLITTING the total RVU generated equally between them. I have no idea where they got this from, but I have heard it from a couple other docs. Is this true? If so, reference?

Members don't see this ad.

That's not how we do it here. It doesn't seem to make much sense. Each specialty does their own thing and bills for it. Think of a patient who comes in for some type of physical complaint. They might see cardio, gastro, radio, and IM all in the same visit and each would code and bill for their services. Why would this be any different? The only time it can be a problem is if the same procedure is being billed at the same visit. Some insurances won't pay for that. So if we both used psychotherapy codes then they might only pay one. Actually what insurances do is refuse the whole claim at first in hopes that you don't fix it and resubmit before they age it out and refuse to pay anything. Of course, didn't CMS come up with this whole RVU thing so maybe it really doesn't make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only time I heard of this was when one of the psychiatrists who didn't stay their lane added therapy codes to their services and the actual therapists were then unable to bill on the same day.

You wouldn't split. Just bill your normal E&M and the therapist will bill their own codes for the time and service rendered.