1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

MD and online MBA

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by MedicineN'Jazz, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey yall,
    Has anyone here completed a MD/online MBA while in med school? I'm looking at one program that's less than $13K, only 10 courses with a duration of 7 weeks per class, fully accredited and was thinking of completing it in my fourth year. I have a very strong feeling this has been done by former medical students, and just wanted to hear past experiences if possible. Thanks!

-MedicineN'Jazz

P.S. I'd also like to add that name brand means nothing to me. I'm not trying to go into consulting with this degree, more so use it heavily in policy, research, and advocacy. I already have another graduate degree that would complement this one quite nicely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LookForZebras

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I bet it can be done. I do think, though, that you'd miss out on a lot of what fourth year has to offer by doing an MBA at the same time. Fourth year is awesome. There are elective opportunities, away rotations, residency interviews, and one last chance to spend time with your classmates. You can always get an MBA. Personally, I wouldn't recommend sacrificing any aspects of medical school to get it right away.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, I’ve thought about that tbh. But, I can get it done within 9 months, it doesn’t have to be all at once. It doesn’t hurt that I’ll have an extra 5 months for rotations (per our new curriculum). I may take only a single class during those electives. Besides that, do you see any other pros and cons.

I’d know it’d be technically more beneficial to wait. But I’m getting old, and would rather not go back to school after residency. I’m not sure my neuronal plasticity will be up to par :(

4. pencilcase

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you'll barely see your classmates 4th year so don't let that stop you. Everyone will be trying to do aways or get their applications done for residency. If you haven't bonded with someone in your class by 4th year then its too late. But you should take your time with the MBA....nothing to be gained by rushing to finish it within 9 months....