MD Applicant 31N 3.44 Science GPA 3.42 Overall GPA....What are my Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathiru1225

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know what you all think my chances are for this application cycle (2012-2013). I have a 3.44 Science GPA, 3.42 Overall GPA, 31N MCAT, and a lot of EC (medical and non-medical). I am also taking a year off to do research. I've applied and waiting to hear back from schools....I submitted all of my secondaries mid-August to the end of September. I applied to around 40 schools. Also, I know my GPA is a little low but it's because I bombed my first year and made a really drastic incline (3.95 GPA senior year)

Sorry to add some info:

UG is a mid tier school - major: Health Sciences
EC: Volunteered abroad in S. America and Asia (environmental and medical volunteering- cofounder of one volunteer organization), at my local hospital for a summer, Counselor for kids at my college, involved in cultural association during UG, TA for a science course (physiology).
Internships: 1 abroad (for 2 summers with General Surg, Ortho, and Cardiologist) and 1 in a US hospital (urban- ER)
Research: ongoing for TBI rehabilitation (publication and conference presentation)

LOR: Pre-med committee

Specialty interested in: Primary care

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You submitted a tad late for a GPA that low, but your ECs look good and so does your MCAT. With that extreme upward trend, you should be in pretty good shape. Make sure you apply to any in-state schools because you will have your best shot. If you have an in state school with early decision, do not get in this cycle, and wouldn't mind going to the IS school, apply early decision, and you should have a much better shot.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for responding. I am from CT so I do have 1 instate school-UCONN which is my top choice. My main question is when I should start worrying about hearing back from schools?? I'm looking into other options as well just to be safe. Also, should you only send Letters of Intent after interviews?