MD applicants with around 507 MCAT: How many schools did you apply to, # of interviews/acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will update it when I get to my laptop! I was actually interviewing today when I found out.

0 ties to Texas. Indiana resident. So very very surprised!! Absolutley elated though and really loved the school.

As a re-applicant; the changes in my app are that I applied the first day (last year was October, rookie move). I have a huge upward trend, 4.0 in every class since my sophomore year. I added over 50 hours shadowing and 1000 more hours volunteer experience- especially with impoverished communities.

I also worked on interview skills.
But other than that, I think being early really helped.

Thank you so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yay....updated signature.

Now you have to update under your avatar.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
506 (126,124,129,127), 3.8 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA, applied to 15, 4 II (I withdrew from 8 schools after first accept), 3 IA, 2 acceptances

Reactions: 1 users
Just to be annoyingly accurate,
Most people get NO acceptances (60%)
some people get a single acceptance (20%)
some people get multiple acceptance (20%)

All my friends are getting multiple acceptances at Harvard and Stanford(not an exaggeration) with their 520+s so I have a skewed view. I'm just looking to getting in as I am the very mediocre one with the 507 in my friend group.

1) Why are you writing in font big enough that it can be on a billboard
2) applicants with between 506-509 and above 3.79 GPA had a 66% acceptance rate
(1538 acceptees out of 2130 applicants; see https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf)
3) 30-40 schools sounds great until you start slogging thru 30-40 secondaries and burnout by 25. I would strongly reconsider the number and your school list
4) I suggest you spend your time, energy and focus on your application as none of the data on acceptance or the stories from others on chances will help you.

1. Fixed it!
2. I am an ORM so its lower probably like 40-50%? Is that acurate?
3. I have prewritten 38 secondaries with multiple drafts for each(this has been over a six month period). No burnout since I did it slowly over a long period.
4. Will do

Applicants with 517 and above get accepted nearly 85% of the time; those with 517 and 3.8 GPA or higher nearly 90% acceptance rate
I cannot score a 517/maybe I can but I do have enough time with full time job and activities.

Are you the same person who got demolished on r/premed for your post?

Anyways, your chances are low with your MCAT and GPA. That 65% is for all applicants and includes up to 509 and 4.0 which is significantly different from a 507 imo. Are you Asian? Average accepted MCAT for Asian applicants is around 511-512. Be realistic with yourself. The numbers don’t look good unless you retake MCAT again or apply DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.93 GPA and a 509 MCAT. I applied to 10 schools got 10 II's, decided to go on 4 of the interviews to save mney. Got outright accepted to all 4 including 2 top 20 schools.

And before someone says it, yes I am a veteran but I don't think that gives me 10+ MCAT points to be on par with my peers. It's your whole application man, have great EC's and don't come across as box checking, be sincere and passionate and sell yourself at the interviews. Worst thing you can do is stress about your stats at an interview. Be confident and heartfelt and you will get into the right school for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied this cycle very early with a 3.6 and 507 (127/124/128/128). Also ORM from NJ. Only took the MCAT once and did not retake. Had "above average" ECs as well (2000+ clinical hours, 1000+ research hours).

Applied to 20 MDs, did not get a single interview. Even the NJ ones did not show me love. Applied all low tier using advice from SDN.

Applied to 5 "good" DO schools, received 4 interviews. Attended 2, received 2 acceptances, with one I'm really happy to attend.

Based on my experience, it was clear my low MCAT, mainly my CR score, hurt me with MDs as I expected. Although I knew I could have done much better overall, I convinced myself that applying very early would yield me more luck than retaking and applying a little late. If you really want MD, I'd retake MCAT. Good luck.

Last edited:
I had a 3.93 GPA and a 509 MCAT. I applied to 10 schools got 10 II's, decided to go on 4 of the interviews to save mney. Got outright accepted to all 4 including 2 top 20 schools.

And before someone says it, yes I am a veteran but I don't think that gives me 10+ MCAT points to be on par with my peers. It's your whole application man, have great EC's and don't come across as box checking, be sincere and passionate and sell yourself at the interviews. Worst thing you can do is stress about your stats at an interview. Be confident and heartfelt and you will get into the right school for you.

Thank you for your service. A 509 coupled with a high GPA would be a competitive applicant at tons of schools as long as they had good ECs. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied this cycle very early with a 3.6 and 507 (127/124/128/128). Also ORM from NJ. Only took the MCAT once and did not retake. Had "above average" ECs as well (2000+ clinical hours, 1000+ research hours).

Applied to 20 MDs, did not get a single interview. Even the NJ ones did not show me love. Applied all low tier using advice from SDN.

Applied to 5 "good" DO schools, received 4 interviews. Attended 2, received 2 acceptances, with one I'm really happy to attend.

Based on my experience, it was clear my low MCAT, mainly my CR score, hurt me with MDs as I expected. Although I knew I could have done much better overall, I convinced myself that applying very early would yield me more luck than retaking and applying a little late. If you really want MD, I'd retake MCAT. Good luck.

When did you submit primary and secondary? The 124 might have hurt since some schools screen out if you fall below 125 on subsection. Plus the 3.6 could hurt with a low mcat.

When did you submit primary and secondary? The 124 might have hurt since some schools screen out if you fall below 125 on subsection. Plus the 3.6 could hurt with a low mcat.

Submitted primary June and secondaries July/early Aug. Agreed the 124 definitely hurt. I have 5 pre-interview holds/continued review but at this point I doubt anything will come of it. I actually had a 3.64 and your gpa isn't significantly higher. Just giving you an idea of how much MCAT matters.

Submitted primary June and secondaries July/early Aug. Agreed the 124 definitely hurt. I have 5 pre-interview holds/continued review but at this point I doubt anything will come of it. I actually had a 3.64 and your gpa isn't significantly higher. Just giving you an idea of how much MCAT matters.

What are interview holds - when you're waitlisted for an interview? It's sad though since some friends I outperformed in college in the science classes have much higher mcat scores like (517+ and a handful 520+). And every part of my application is stronger than some of theirs and just bc of my mcat, I am shot down so much . Did you take any gap year though? I am still going to go through only applying only MD - I am not doing DO.

What are interview holds - when you're waitlisted for an interview? It's sad though since some friends I outperformed in college in the science classes have much higher mcat scores like (517+ and a handful 520+). And every part of my application is stronger than some of theirs and just bc of my mcat, I am shot down so much . Did you take any gap year though? I am still going to go through only applying only MD - I am not doing DO.

No, pre interview holds are when schools initially review your app, then state they will re review you later in cycle for a potential interview. They don't mean much. I felt the same way as well buddy. Many of my classmates scored significantly higher than me despite being on similiar academic levels. I was never a great standardized test taker. Unfortunately, it's the MCAT that makes most of the difference. I applied during my senior year so took 1 gap year.

No, pre interview holds are when schools initially review your app, then state they will re review you later in cycle for a potential interview. They don't mean much. I felt the same way as well buddy. Many of my classmates scored significantly higher than me despite being on similiar academic levels. I was never a great standardized test taker. Unfortunately, it's the MCAT that makes most of the difference. I applied during my senior year so took 1 gap year.
Huh, hopefully I'll have more luck. Dunno if our ECs were similar, or rec levels, or essay qualities but those can make a difference. If you're fine with DO that's great! I just am not so I will not go down that route.

509 average

26 MD applications, 4 interviews, 0 acceptance

Clinging onto the hope that I get even just 1 acceptance.

I got a 507 on MCAT and 3.7 sGPA

Applied to 16 schools, II to 3 and accepted to 2 (waiting to hear from third)

Awesome feedback! What do adcoms think of 506-508 scores where P/S and CARS are highest? (have seen that alot on here) Is there a general subsection score that is ideal for CP and Bio?

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile
I had the opposite where my bio and CP were highest (130, 128, 132, 128). But with weak ECs, applying late, and a downward 3.6, I've only been accepted to one MD so far, my state school with an accepted Mcat of 514. My point is the MCAT, even with a great score and breakdown, isn't everything. Let the rest of your application shine and apply broadly and early.

I'm with this person. I'm very similar to this individual and never got any love from schools. The minute I got my MCAT 512+, I got a lot of love. Take EVERYONE's opinion into consideration OP, don't let a few people who did get in with low MCAT scores influence your decision. Also take our opinion with a grain of salt, maybe we were just unlucky and applied to the wrong schools.

Just to be annoyingly accurate,
Most people get NO acceptances (60%)
some people get a single acceptance (20%)
some people get multiple acceptance (20%)

Another way to look at that is that half the people that get accepted and attend medical school got into multiple schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm with this person. I'm very similar to this individual and never got any love from schools. The minute I got my MCAT 512+, I got a lot of love. Take EVERYONE's opinion into consideration OP, don't let a few people who did get in with low MCAT scores influence your decision. Also take our opinion with a grain of salt, maybe we were just unlucky and applied to the wrong schools.
Not even any interviews?

I did get an interview my from my undergrad (and in-state school). I believe I did well on the interview, because when I asked for feedback why I wasn't accepted they said I needed to retake the MCAT. To further back-up my belief in this. During this round of application; I received 7 interview invites, I accepted 5 of them, was accepted at 3, and waitlisted at the other 2. Didn't get any post-interview rejections. Not sure if that means anything.

I did get an interview my from my undergrad (and in-state school). I believe I did well on the interview, because when I asked for feedback why I wasn't accepted they said I needed to retake the MCAT. To further back-up my belief in this. During this round of application; I received 7 interview invites, I accepted 5 of them, was accepted at 3, and waitlisted at the other 2. Didn't get any post-interview rejections. Not sure if that means anything.
Dang, what was your initial mcat score? I’m still going to go for it - I already prewrote 40 secondaries over the course of 6 months and I’m getting in everything early. Everything else in my application is fine - it’s literally just the mcat that’s holding me back

507 MCAT, 4.00 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA (lower because of foreign general education dual credit classes dating back to 2004), ORM, nontraditional (didn't attend undergrad until 28, currently 32), small regional non-name college, 2 years research, no publications, one amazing LOR that I know of, trained EMT, shadowing in multiple disciplines (peds, IM, FM, urogyn, IM again in a FQHC), kind of unique background (immigrant), very late MCAT (Sept with Oct score release).

These are my stats from this cycle. In all, I applied to 21 MD and DO schools.

Accepted/Attending: 1
My top choice school which also offered a 35% scholarship

Declined acceptance: 2
1 DO, 1 in-state MD

Rejected post interview: 1
in-state snooty MD

Rejected post primary: 1
Vandy (applied before MCAT score release--waste of money :lol:)

Rejected post secondary: 4
3 regional research focused schools and 1 across country DO school

Withdrawn post interview invite: 4
3 DO (one was a brand new school so no federal loans) and 1 top 10 primary care MD school (would have loved to attend but too pricey)

Withdrawn post primary: 3
2 HBCU's and an OOS reach MD schools

Withdrawn post secondary: 4
1 HBCU, 1 in-state DO, 2 OOS MD schools (I'm white but one of my research projects was on implicit bias)

Withdrawn post wait list: 1
OOS DO in the middle of nowhere

For those keeping track: 21 applications, 9 interview invites, 5 interviews attended, 4 acceptances/wait lists, and 1 over the moon applicant headed to their dream school this July.

Be smart with your school list and you will get in somewhere.

507 MCAT, 4.00 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA (lower because of foreign general education dual credit classes dating back to 2004), ORM, nontraditional (didn't attend undergrad until 28, currently 32), small regional non-name college, 2 years research, no publications, one amazing LOR that I know of, trained EMT, shadowing in multiple disciplines (peds, IM, FM, urogyn, IM again in a FQHC), kind of unique background (immigrant), very late MCAT (Sept with Oct score release).

These are my stats from this cycle. In all, I applied to 21 MD and DO schools.

Accepted/Attending: 1
My top choice school which also offered a 35% scholarship

Declined acceptance: 2
1 DO, 1 in-state MD

Rejected post interview: 1
in-state snooty MD

Rejected post primary: 1
Vandy (applied before MCAT score release--waste of money :lol:)

Rejected post secondary: 4
3 regional research focused schools and 1 across country DO school

Withdrawn post interview invite: 4
3 DO (one was a brand new school so no federal loans) and 1 top 10 primary care MD school (would have loved to attend but too pricey)

Withdrawn post primary: 3
2 HBCU's and an OOS reach MD schools

Withdrawn post secondary: 4
1 HBCU, 1 in-state DO, 2 OOS MD schools (I'm white but one of my research projects was on implicit bias)

Withdrawn post wait list: 1
OOS DO in the middle of nowhere

For those keeping track: 21 applications, 9 interview invites, 5 interviews attended, 4 acceptances/wait lists, and 1 over the moon applicant headed to their dream school this July.

Be smart with your school list and you will get in somewhere.
Wow congrats ! You slayed it!

Applied with 505, 3.71

5 MD, 5 DO

II 2 MD, Accepted 1 MD, waitlist 1 MD

II 4 DO, silence one, accepted 2 DO, withdrew interview at the other 2.

Don't rush it like me. I wasn't prepared for the MCAT, I applied late like an idiot, and didn't compose a good school list.

Do. Not. Rush.

Applied with 505, 3.71

5 MD, 5 DO

II 2 MD, Accepted 1 MD, waitlist 1 MD

II 4 DO, silence one, accepted 2 DO, withdrew interview at the other 2.

Don't rush it like me. I wasn't prepared for the MCAT, I applied late like an idiot, and didn't compose a good school list.

Do. Not. Rush.
Wow how did you pull it off with the 505?

508 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA, non-URM, and non-trad.

10 MD applications.

6 II.

1 II withdrawn.

3 WL and 2 Acceptances.

And just like that my first SDN post after being a stalker for a while is a humblebrag.... Did I do it right?
I really wish I had discovered SDN before I applied this cycle, then I could have just outright bragged.

508 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA, non-URM, and non-trad.

10 MD applications.

6 II.

1 II withdrawn.

3 WL and 2 Acceptances.

And just like that my first SDN post after being a stalker for a while is a humblebrag.... Did I do it right?
I really wish I had discovered SDN before I applied this cycle, then I could have just outright bragged.
What made you stand out?

Just wanted to echo the last paragraph. Passion is more important than hours/activity. It shows you have a drive and that you are choosing to participate in activities that you personally want to pursue which will reaffirm that your path to medicine is of your own drive and not from peers/parents/etc pushing you into the field (like how people will passively volunteer at places they hate just to appease admissions). They can 100% see through box checking. You can teach people how to study and do well in classes/exams but you cant teach people to be passionate or to have a drive because those are internal factors.