MD applicants with around 507 MCAT: How many schools did you apply to, # of interviews/acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump...anyone from last cycle? Already applied this cycle and sent in secondaries...now waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

507 MCAT sGPA: 3.4 GPA: 3.5
Applied to 15 schools both MD and DO.
3 II offers (D.O.)
2 actual interview
1 acceptence and 1 waitlist.
Waitlist was eventually rejected.

My recommendation is apply DO. If you want to learn the material and become a doctor, this is the most likely option. If you're worried that D.O. are somehow inferior to MDs, just know that I use material from major MD schools to study. Medicine is medicine regardless of title.
im scared

Members don't see this ad :)
509, Asian, CA resident, 3.4GPA. Applied to 20 schools, mostly mid-tiers/CA schools. 2 Interviews/1 acceptance (Brown).

Reactions: 1 user
509, Asian, CA resident, 3.4GPA. Applied to 20 schools, mostly mid-tiers/CA schools. 2 Interviews/1 acceptance (Brown).
Woa what did you do to get interviewed at brown

No clue haha! Still have no idea how/why they liked me :)
With your gpa and mcat you must have fixed the water system in some impoverished village. Did you apply early? I applied early since my mcat is low .

With your gpa and mcat you must have fixed the water system in some impoverished village. Did you apply early? I applied early since my mcat is low .

I didn't find SDN until recently, so I didn't know applying early was important. I submitted my Primary mid-July and got all secondaries in by mid Sept.

Haha I honestly didn't think my MCAT/GPA were that low until I started reading SDN. I was a very uninformed applicant.

I didn't find SDN until recently, so I didn't know applying early was important. I submitted my Primary mid-July and got all secondaries in by mid Sept.

Haha I honestly didn't think my MCAT/GPA were that low until I started reading SDN. I was a very uninformed applicant.
Oh wow! Can you tell us a little about yourself in terms of Extracurriculars?

506 (126,124,129,127), 3.8 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA, applied to 15, 4 II (I withdrew from 8 schools after first accept), 3 IA, 2 acceptances

Were your 3 IAs alcohol related? edit: I'm realizing now that's not what you meant by IA

Bro, in my case, IA means interviews attended. I’ve never had an institutional action

If you have 3 Institutional actions, no matter the offense, best of luck getting in...but to be blunt, I doubt you will with 3 of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: I got an interview from a Top 50 MD school even despite my mcat score so ORMs don’t give up!

Reactions: 4 users

Hi, and major congratulations to you! I was wondering if you could give me some more information about your ECs?

Update: Finished my first MD interview and I just got a second MD invite today. So don't give up guys - I'm an ORM who got below a 510 on my MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Update - 3 MD invites at this point as a ORM with below a 510. Don’t give up guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Non-trad ORM joining in... 3.83 cGPA 3.85 sGPA 507 MCAT 126 127 127 127
1 MD II from state school/undergrad (went amazing should hear back soon)
5 DO II, attended 4 with 1 more planned next week. should hear back from 2 of the DOs this week.
... Hope we all get in

Accepted DMU so DO top choice is locked in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got my 4th MD interview....so it's possible as an ORM with less than a 510 :) Unfortunately no acceptance yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
3.7 cGPA, 3.6 BCPM, 506-510 MCAT, 1st time applicant... Anyone with similar stats, who also submitted their secondaries from mid-September through early-October, get any IIs?

Not getting too panicked yet since I've read at least a dozen posts by people with 518-522 MCAT scores with no II either.

Last edited:
Update: I got an MD acceptance!!

Reactions: 6 users
Nice man! Congratulations! You're an ORM with an MCAT of 507 you said? Awesome!
Yep I’m an ORM. It’s totally possible to do it - I got a lot of people discouraging me but the rest of my app was solid so I decided to go for it.

Yep I’m an ORM. It’s totally possible to do it - I got a lot of people discouraging me but the rest of my app was solid so I decided to go for it.

You think you would’ve been able to do it with a slightly less GPA? Maybe within the 3.7 range? That’s what I’ll prob be in . 3.6-3.7 with probably a similar MCAT acore

You think you would’ve been able to do it with a slightly less GPA? Maybe within the 3.7 range? That’s what I’ll prob be in . 3.6-3.7 with probably a similar MCAT acore

I think it’s possible, but it depends on how the rest of your application looks. This was definitely a risky move for me, but I went with my gut feelings. PM me for more specifics since I need a better idea of the rest of your application.

Lol honestly your scores are not bad... high GPA and MCAT that is slight below average. If you applied to 30 schools and sold experiences you would get two- three interviews. My gpa was lower and MCAT was 28 and got two interviews. If you applied to all the low tier schools you would get in somewhere... sdn attracts top tier students and may scare you off. I interviewed at VCU with 3.7/28 and made waitlist... you absolutely can get in

506, s3.5, c3.5. My last three semesters I had at least a 3.75 gpa each semester taking a full load of classes.

I applied to about 8 MDs, 6 DOs. I got 2 DO interviews, 2 acceptances. I got 1 MD interview, 1 acceptance.

Which MDs did you apply to, get accepted to? If you don't mind me asking

This data is solely Undergraduate GPA; it does not included SMP. It also does not show grade trends, old grades, etc

So if someone started college and screwed up first degree then got in SMP and did 4.0 work we would only see the crappy undergraduate grades

How does it go for MCAT score? If someone gets a 496 and then retakes for a 510, the 496 would still show up right? Otherwise how can an applicant get in with a 496?

This data is solely Undergraduate GPA; it does not included SMP. It also does not show grade trends, old grades, etc

So if someone started college and screwed up first degree then got in SMP and did 4.0 work we would only see the crappy undergraduate grades

I mean they also had a <486 MCAT which is 12th percentile..... Must be the Extra curricular king

I mean they also had a <486 MCAT which is 12th percentile..... Must be the Extra curricular king

URM that overcame being unable to walk after a car accident, etc. spectacular stories something like that

To past and current MD applicants with around 507 MCAT: How many schools did you apply to and how many interviews/acceptance did you guys get? What was your situation? Help a brother out haha. I am applying next cycle to 40ish schools since I literally have 9 months to prewrite secondaries and I'm starting slowly now(Update: I have already finished prewriting 38 secondaries). I finished writing my personal statement and activities description already with several revisions so I am prewriting my secondaries. ORM, 507 MCAT, 3.84 GPA, Top 10 undergrad, above average ECs. I am not retaking my MCAT unless I literally get into 0 MD schools. Recs are above average so prob good-great but not amazingly mindblowing 1 in million rec letters. A lot of clinical experience and volunteer work, with a decent amount with underserved populations. Research with one publication(not first author). A few leadership positions and very involved in music during college. I am pursuing a full time job right now. I also have been doing work with underserved communities, like with the homeless, indigent, etc. the past several years.
Hi would i be able to PM you regarding your cycle?

Just wanted to come back to this thread and let ya'll know that I was accepted to 2 medical schools after 5 total interviews (all MD). I applied to 28 schools total (some of them MD/PhD). My MCAT's were 507 and 511 and I am an ORM and my GPA was not stellar. I got in during my first cycle. Good luck to everyone. Don't be discouraged by your score. As long as you apply to the correct schools (AKA not Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.) you will do fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to come back to this thread and let ya'll know that I was accepted to 2 medical schools after 5 total interviews (all MD). I applied to 28 schools total (some of them MD/PhD). My MCAT's were 507 and 511 and I am an ORM and my GPA was not stellar. I got in during my first cycle. Good luck to everyone. Don't be discouraged by your score. As long as you apply to the correct schools (AKA not Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.) you will do fine.
Congrats !!! can i PM you?

Lol honestly your scores are not bad... high GPA and MCAT that is slight below average. If you applied to 30 schools and sold experiences you would get two- three interviews. My gpa was lower and MCAT was 28 and got two interviews. If you applied to all the low tier schools you would get in somewhere... sdn attracts top tier students and may scare you off. I interviewed at VCU with 3.7/28 and made waitlist... you absolutely can get in
Could I PM you ?

To past and current MD applicants with around 507 MCAT: How many schools did you apply to and how many interviews/acceptance did you guys get? What was your situation? Help a brother out haha. I am applying next cycle to 40ish schools since I literally have 9 months to prewrite secondaries and I'm starting slowly now(Update: I have already finished prewriting 38 secondaries). I finished writing my personal statement and activities description already with several revisions so I am prewriting my secondaries. ORM, 507 MCAT, 3.84 GPA, Top 10 undergrad, above average ECs. I am not retaking my MCAT unless I literally get into 0 MD schools. Recs are above average so prob good-great but not amazingly mindblowing 1 in million rec letters. A lot of clinical experience and volunteer work, with a decent amount with underserved populations. Research with one publication(not first author). A few leadership positions and very involved in music during college. I am pursuing a full time job right now. I also have been doing work with underserved communities, like with the homeless, indigent, etc. the past several years.
TMDSAS current orm ms1
3.97 Gpa 511 mcat
Applied to 7, 6 II, 5 matches

Last edited:
May 2018 MCAT 505, Retook August 2018 MCAT 512
GPA 3.8, gap year, Asian ORM, male
Applied to 30 MDs with a good list, including 10 top 20s
Received 9 ii (6 ii in Jan and Feb),ia 7: 1 R (Yale), 4 WL, 1 A
Very stressful cycle,
But also feel very lucky, excited and blessed to be attending a top 20 in 2 weeks.

An applicant with a passion.