md applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do some of you kids post links to your mdapplicants profiles? Who cares what your achievements are?

Members don't see this ad.

amen

mdapplicants would be great if it were a random sampling of all applicants. instead, it has turned (for the most part) into a self-promotion website that provides little benefit to the average student.

I actually appreciate when people have that in their signatures. Especially when they are asking for advice about the application process or choosing between several schools it can lend some insight into where they are coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alreadyindebt, you are going to BU after you got into Hopkins and withdrew?

Am I reading this correctly?

Your 29 carried you to victory at Baylor and Hopkins .... :confused: I am confused....:confused:

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston

Your 29 carried you to victory at Baylor and Hopkins .... I am confused....

CCW

LMAO... he withdrew after any acceptance, meaning Loyola in this case.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston

Your 29 carried you to victory at Baylor and Hopkins .... I am confused....

CCW

First of all, I don't appreciate your pompous and arrogant tone regarding my score of 29. Second of all, I'm suprised that with your wonderful MCAT score, you can't read. Those schools that my 29 carried me to are under the category "withrew post-secondary." Get over yourself. My toe has more of a personality than you do.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
First of all, I don't appreciate your pompous and arrogant tone regarding my score of 29. Second of all, I'm suprised that with your wonderful MCAT score, you can't read. Those schools that my 29 carried me to are under the category "withrew post-secondary." Get over yourself. My toe has more of a personality than you do.

Hold on there hot stuff. I was asking a question. The way you had it worded, it seemed to throw me off.

Congrats on getting into school, I wish you nothing but the best. I didn't mean to come off that way, I was just confused by how you had that profile setup.

Geez.

CCW

AID- I don't think he was trying to be pompous and arrogant.

It pains me a bit to say this, as some of the people I actually like on this board have their profiles posted in their sigs, but I agree. MDapplicants is best used as a statistical survey of successful pre-meds. Unmasking your anonymity is like asking for a pat on the back. Acceptances aren't trophies.

CCW/COOPS, i can understand her hostility.....if i remember correctly, someone recently had an md applicants profile that sported a 3.99 and a 43. gee, thats really helpful information for the rest of us with those stats who were wondering how we may fair. we also appreciated your implying that a)you were such a great applicant that you thought you might have a chance without paying the application fee and b)the only reason you got rejected was because you didnt pay the fees. thanks for being a useful example for all of us!

ps- why the a-?

general rule of thumb for MDapplicant. take the 'interviewed - not accepted stats' and treat those like 'interviewed - accepted'. even thats very generous

the only reason i find interest in Mdapplicant is to look for general admission 'trends', if any. this school likes XXX,etc. its a retarted site.

Originally posted by Trekkie963
I actually appreciate when people have that in their signatures. Especially when they are asking for advice about the application process or choosing between several schools it can lend some insight into where they are coming from.
I agree. While on the surface it may seem like bragging, it can actually add credibility to a poster. That is, if he or she says something about a certain school that they were accepted at, their word would mean more than some premed who hasn't been through the process.

In addition, I have received pms with people asking me how the interview was at this school or that school where I interviewed at and I'm more than happy to give them advice. In this way, it can be a tool to help other applicants who may have questions about certain schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dookbloo
if i remember correctly, someone recently had an md applicants profile that sported a 3.99 and a 43. gee, thats really helpful information for the rest of us with those stats who were wondering how we may fair.
So you blame this person for posting their info just because it didn't help you personally? As long as people are being honest when they post on MDApplicants, who cares what their scores are? Someone who posts honestly an MCAT of 43 is no more bragging than one who posts a 37, 29, or 17. Admittedly, some people use MDApplicants as a vehicle for bragging, but posting scores alone is no reason to scorn anyone.

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
Why do some of you kids post links to your mdapplicants profiles? Who cares what your achievements are?

Bitter, party of one?

hmm.. you guys bring up interesting points. I was just thinking about this the other day too (removing mine that is).

I never thought that people post their mdapplicant profiles to boast or ask for pats on the back - comon, this is the internet we're talking about here. I dont think my academic record is anything to brag about. I guess I'm kinda taken aback by objections to them.

Early in the process there were a lot of threads about people with low GPAs and getting in. Since at that time I had some mild success (to me at least.. that meant getting an interview), I thought I would share my experience with the people of SDN (those in my shoes). My intention was to give support and encouragement to people that were in the same shoes as me.

I would say I've received about 100 pm's and emails asking me about applying to medical school with a low GPA and for advice on how to improve their applications or what they should do to prepare for the process, and I've answered every single one as thoughtfully and thoroughly as possible. I know the terrible feeling of not thinking you'll have a shot at medical school, so I wanted those people to know that there is always something you can do to improve your chances despite how daunting the task may be. I feel obligated in my position to offer whatever advice I have to other people in a similar situation - mostly because I didnt have a source of information or a clue as to what to do when I was applying. I hope I've done that.

Anyways, I had to get that off my chest. You guys can think whatever you want about me though.

Originally posted by Adapt
I agree. While on the surface it may seem like bragging, it can actually add credibility to a poster. That is, if he or she says something about a certain school that they were accepted at, their word would mean more than some premed who hasn't been through the process.

i would think future doctors have the capacity to talk to people normally and extract fairly quickly how much relevance premed A's wisdom holds, without the aid of a website listing their accomplishments. youre gonna be interviewing pts all your life -- might as well get used to asking the important questions early on.

In addition, I have received pms with people asking me how the interview was at this school or that school where I interviewed at and I'm more than happy to give them advice. In this way, it can be a tool to help other applicants who may have questions about certain schools.

does interview feedback not provide enough data like that? it did for me.

Originally posted by Bones2008
So you blame this person for posting their info just because it didn't help you personally? As long as people are being honest when they post on MDApplicants, who cares what their scores are? Someone who posts honestly an MCAT of 43 is no more bragging than one who posts a 37, 29, or 17. Admittedly, some people use MDApplicants as a vehicle for bragging, but posting scores alone is no reason to scorn anyone.

exactly -- who cares what their scores are?

moreover, since every applicant is an individual, looking at individual profiles would be a fairly wasteful process. it would be better if there was statistical analysis saying like 85% of hopkins interviewers performed long-term wetlab research, 70% authored a paper, 53% have an MS, 32% have a PhD ... that to me would give more direction towards general trends in acceptance/interview patterns than looking at one person out of the 30000 that will get accepted.

posting scores alone is a great reason to scorn someone, b/c the way i figure it, you havent saved any lives yet. getting into med school is not a functional achievement, just an acknowledgement of capacity. if youre proud of yourself, who else has to know, really?

Originally posted by Brix
Bitter, party of one?

i guess more bitter at people who expect to be congratulated and admired for things they did in the past.

edit: exmike, me too. though my desire to throw out advice to weaker applicants is pretty much expressed in my signature and general attitude here and on SDNs.net

exmike,
theres absolutely nothing wrong with your posting your stuff. thats actually useful to people who might be in a similar situation. i think it only becomes stupid when people use it for bragging purposes alone. there's nothing wrong if you are a very good student. there are plenty of other really good students who use this board and who are looking for people with similar academic accomplishments. when people start posting their information that applies to, at most, 50 people in the country....

DOOKS

i have mine up only cause i get PMs from people asking about my low gpa status and if i can say anything about their low gpa status as well. similar to the situation that mike is in.

i mean if you have a problem with it...tell me personally whats wrong and ill think about taking it down. its just much easier to tell people...oh look at my profile to see which schools i applied to with my gpa and mcat among other questions they might have.

for at least the people that have PMed me...im glad it was somewhat helpful for them to see where im at and to be able to ask questions they have bout a specific part of the process or a particular school that i interviewed at....etc...

seriously...chill.

Originally posted by exmike
hmm.. you guys bring up interesting points. I was just thinking about this the other day too (removing mine that is).

I never thought that people post their mdapplicant profiles to boast or ask for pats on the back - comon, this is the internet we're talking about here. I dont think my academic record is anything to brag about. I guess I'm kinda taken aback by objections to them.

Early in the process there were a lot of threads about people with low GPAs and getting in. Since at that time I had some mild success (to me at least.. that meant getting an interview), I thought I would share my experience with the people of SDN (those in my shoes). My intention was to give support and encouragement to people that were in the same shoes as me.

I would say I've received about 100 pm's and emails asking me about applying to medical school with a low GPA and for advice on how to improve their applications or what they should do to prepare for the process, and I've answered every single one as thoughtfully and thoroughly as possible. I know the terrible feeling of not thinking you'll have a shot at medical school, so I wanted those people to know that there is always something you can do to improve your chances despite how daunting the task may be. I feel obligated in my position to offer whatever advice I have to other people in a similar situation - mostly because I didnt have a source of information or a clue as to what to do when I was applying. I hope I've done that.

Anyways, I had to get that off my chest. You guys can think whatever you want about me though.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly

....well.... not exactly every single e-mail... but then again, that was before I actually created an account on SDN...hmmm, maybe my e-mail fell through the cracks. ('Question per SDN', sent jan 14, 2004) :confused: ...:p gotta keep ya honest :laugh:

are you serious? sorry man, sometimes I miss em. I got class and tests and stuff you know? But hey, you got in Case so you didnt need my monkey ass. Your second beer is on me at orientation (first one is on Judd, so he says).

The only offense I see is that you didn't make it so it was a clickable hyperlink... I'm WAY toooooo lazy to do a cut and paste. :p

Yeah, I cant seem to link it. How do I do that?

Originally posted by tugbug
Yeah, I cant seem to link it. How do I do that?

put the link between [url.] link [/url.]

without the "."

Thanks. Now I'm 'bragging' in stereo.

Originally posted by exmike
are you serious? sorry man, sometimes I miss em. I got class and tests and stuff you know? But hey, you got in Case so you didnt need my monkey ass. Your second beer is on me at orientation (first one is on Judd, so he says).
I'd like that... assuming I ever get this stupid need access app finished. WTF?!? Gotta get it in in a few more days before the deadline :( I put it off till I had my and my parents tax returns done... stupid mistake... I have everything else ready, just haven't finished that :( ... but almost there... Heck if I know how much I borrowed in perkins loans... keck if I know how much I have in an IRA/401/etc... How much do I have in the bank? I can answer that one... How much will I have in the bank (cash/check..) in september?... HECK IF I KNOW!!!!:mad: very very :mad:

Reddly

actually i take it back, hopefully I wont have to buy you a beer b/c that means you got into a UC!! :clap:

thanks again, lol. I should add that Im apparently computer illiterate to my profile... that way other illiterate applicants can ask me about my experiences... only Id have to overcome the hurdle of how to work that whole crazy email thing.

I'm going to put mine up whenever I start with applications and stuff. I think MD Applicants has really helped me out in telling me where I would be competitive in applying, so I hope to pass that info on to future premeds.

CCW/COOPS, i can understand her hostility.....if i remember correctly, someone recently had an md applicants profile that sported a 3.99 and a 43. gee, thats really helpful information for the rest of us with those stats who were wondering how we may fair. we also appreciated your implying that a)you were such a great applicant that you thought you might have a chance without paying the application fee and b)the only reason you got rejected was because you didnt pay the fees. thanks for being a useful example for all of us!

ps- why the a-?

Yo, why are you being so hostile. I included that "didn't pay the fees" to be humorous. I didn't _think_ I had a chance, and in fact, its not like I submitted the secondaries without fees. I just didn't submit them ... its another way of saying that. And YES if you don't complete the application, you get rejected.

Geesh.

CCW

exmike,
theres absolutely nothing wrong with your posting your stuff. thats actually useful to people who might be in a similar situation. i think it only becomes stupid when people use it for bragging purposes alone. there's nothing wrong if you are a very good student. there are plenty of other really good students who use this board and who are looking for people with similar academic accomplishments. when people start posting their information that applies to, at most, 50 people in the country....

DOOKS

Look, I understand what you are trying to articulate, but you can't have double standards like this. So, arbitrary cutoffs at random GPAs/MCATs/ECs at what constitutes appropriate and inappropriate posting is unfair.

Exmike's is particuarly helpful and motivational, I agree, mine WAS not, and I removed mine because of how some people take it. That's fine, I was never trying to intimate anything or offend anyone at all, and apologize if I did.

Some people on this board take things way too personal and way too seriously. This is the internet, people (to those who this applies to). I put stuff in that profile of mine to make it humorous for the sole purpose of distracting from idea it was bragging. I mean, seriously ... look at my comments on HMS "put the smack down on my candy @$$" ... did they LITERALLY give me the people's elbow (the dean of the ADCOM) and now I filed a complaint and am suing ... seriously, now ...

Actually, I am going to place it back in my profile with a warning. I hope this quells the righteous indignation of the several internet discussion board posters...

I actually like when people put a link to their profile on mdapplicants.

First, I like to look at profiles of those who got accepted to a school that rejected me to see if they had better stats, or ECs, or something else. Basically, knowing what my application was missing makes it a bit less personal (at least for me to just accept the fact and move on). Yes, that won't make any difference now, but I do want to know and also try to give as much info as possible to my friends who are applying this year.

Second, I have followed quite a few people on SDN for a while and have been exposed to their ideas on various issues. Some of them are very humanitarian, artistic, or eloquent, and by looking at where they were rejected makes you wonder how this whole process is skewed. At times, I couldn't believe how a school that prides itself on getting the brightest could possibly pass on such students. On the other hand, I was also surprised (not really!) at how many "not so nice individuals on SDN" got into top schools.

Cooper,
So which is it. Is your profile the one with the 29O and 3.5 or is it the 43 and 3.99. You were using the latter one last week, no?

Now I am confused.

Judd

Originally posted by juddson
Cooper,
So which is it. Is your profile the one with the 29O and 3.5 or is it the 43 and 3.99. You were using the latter one last week, no?

Now I am confused.

Judd

LOL. Well, although this one is madeup, it is more "useful"....

If those of you who think that mdapplicant profiles are skewed, then why don't you ask yourself why you don't have your profile up as well? I think of it as a service for the class behind us. When I was applying, I searched the profiles for numbers similar to mine and saw that there weren't enough similar profiles.

I thought it would be great to post my own experience so others after me could learn something from it. If everyone did this, including those who had less success, the profiles wouldn't be so skewed.

Anyway, I really never thought of the profile as a sort of bragging. It's no more bragging than writing in big bold letters on your profile: "BLAH BLAH CLASS of 2008". There are even people who have their whole status in their profiles rather than in an mdapplicant profile. At least an mdapplicant profile allows for the option of not looking at it...if you're not interested, then don't click. For those crazy pre-meds out there who are curious as to the success or failures of others before them, it's there for them to see.

Originally posted by facted
If those of you who think that mdapplicant profiles are skewed, then why don't you ask yourself why you don't have your profile up as well? I think of it as a service for the class behind us. When I was applying, I searched the profiles for numbers similar to mine and saw that there weren't enough similar profiles.

I thought it would be great to post my own experience so others after me could learn something from it. If everyone did this, including those who had less success, the profiles wouldn't be so skewed.

Anyway, I really never thought of the profile as a sort of bragging. It's no more bragging than writing in big bold letters on your profile: "BLAH BLAH CLASS of 2008". There are even people who have their whole status in their profiles rather than in an mdapplicant profile. At least an mdapplicant profile allows for the option of not looking at it...if you're not interested, then don't click. For those crazy pre-meds out there who are curious as to the success or failures of others before them, it's there for them to see.

Note, I have my class in my profile to a) meet new students and make friends b) talk to current students to dispell the nasty rumors about my school and c) NOT to brag.

People on here ARE WAY TOO SENSITIVE. I had my mdapplicants profile up to inspire 3.5/30's to apply to top schools but I'm taking it down now. Thank you and goodnight.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Note, I have my class in my profile to a) meet new students and make friends b) talk to current students to dispell the nasty rumors about my school and c) NOT to brag.

People on here ARE WAY TOO SENSITIVE. I had my mdapplicants profile up to inspire 3.5/30's to apply to top schools but I'm taking it down now. Thank you and goodnight.

ditto that, although my class listing also serves well as ammo against the brain-dead ******s in the everyone forum.

given my s/n a lot of people would be rightly confused about where i go to school, if they so desired to wonder (this is the major reason i put that in).

besides, it helps accomplish my mission of telling people they dont have to be gunners to get into med school.

this thread needs to get laid

post deleted

Last edited:
Originally posted by absolutezero
You're gonna make a great doctor.

Let me step in here and just let you know:

domesticEthug.jpg

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Am I cool now?

I
I
\/

wow, i'm impressed that you didn't hold out for any waitlists, especially considering reputation and price differences.

No offense to the original poster,

However, I think this thread is stupid. If you don't want to know someone's stats or profile, why even bother paying attention to the fact that they have a profile up??????

If you don't care don't look. I think you are jealous of the posters on this board having great statistics.

Personally, I like to see where these people are coming from and wish some of the other posters had their profiles up whom have been accepted because I like seeing what people's numbers and activities were and where it landed them acceptance letters too.

It helps me out and other people out.

stupid.gif

I've wanted an excuse to use that one :D

man you have a whole arsenal dont you?

haha.