MD chances? 3.2 Undergrad GPA, 3.0-3.1 Science GPA, 3.7 Grad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyspennies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA (degrees in chem and bio) is between a 3.2-3.3 with a total upward trend and my last 2 semesters of a 3.6+ (my first two years were really bad because I was dealing with family illnesses). Did a 1 years masters degree in biochemistry and have a GPA of 3.7+. my scGPA is around a 3.1. took the MCAT once but did horrible (didn't study) and I'm planning on taking it again in May. Using these months to prepare. My heart is really set on MD program, thinking UConn (CT resident), I know it would be a total reach to do NYU but would love to go there as well. Research for 2+ years and a good amount of volunteer experience, and have spent 6+ years at the same job in a pharmacy. Applying for the NIH post bacc program so hopefully that'll boost my application if I'm accepted. can anyone give me any advice???

Members don't see this ad.

I can't see any MD program accepting you as is. Why on earth would you take the MCAT (a career-defining exam) and NOT study? That's poor decision making.

You're at the low, but still competetive end for DO programs, pending a good MCAT (shoot for around 30.)

If you do will in the post-bac program , then there will be some decent med schools that will take you.

My undergrad GPA (degrees in chem and bio) is between a 3.2-3.3 with a total upward trend and my last 2 semesters of a 3.6+ (my first two years were really bad because I was dealing with family illnesses). Did a 1 years masters degree in biochemistry and have a GPA of 3.7+. my scGPA is around a 3.1. took the MCAT once but did horrible (didn't study) and I'm planning on taking it again in May. Using these months to prepare. My heart is really set on MD program, thinking UConn (CT resident), I know it would be a total reach to do NYU but would love to go there as well. Research for 2+ years and a good amount of volunteer experience, and have spent 6+ years at the same job in a pharmacy. Applying for the NIH post bacc program so hopefully that'll boost my application if I'm accepted. can anyone give me any advice???

thank you very much, I appreciate your advice. Does my grad GPA actually help me at all or did I really doom myself during undergrad? I was hoping to shoot for a 33ish MCAT. Hopefully, that works out. I am really determined to become an MD but will consider DO schools if I have to.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you very much, I appreciate your advice. Does my grad GPA actually help me at all or did I really doom myself during undergrad? I was hoping to shoot for a 33ish MCAT. Hopefully, that works out. I am really determined to become an MD but will consider DO schools if I have to.
Thanks!

From what I've read your grad GPA won't help out very much since they assume their is inflation, and a grad GPA of 3.7 for one year isn't particularly impressive anyways.

Unless you are an URM and/or have a very lenient state school, I don't think an MD school is very likely.

Thanks!

You have to.

Thank you guys so much again for your honesty and your replies! I'll definitely take look at DO schools, hopefully if I can do research for a year or two, get some publications, or do the NIH postbacc, I'll have a better chance at MD schools.The only reason my GPA is the way it is, is because I totally stunk freshman year, I really do regret that! Thank you guys again, I really appreciate it ! :)

Thank you guys so much again for your honesty and your replies! I'll definitely take look at DO schools, hopefully if I can do research for a year or two, get some publications, or do the NIH postbacc, I'll have a better chance at MD schools.The only reason my GPA is the way it is, is because I totally stunk freshman year, I really do regret that! Thank you guys again, I really appreciate it ! :)

Yea unless you get a 33+ on your MCAT I do not see any MD schools in your future unless they are in the caribbean. Also a masters degree is more considered as an EC as opposed to another gpa. Doing well in it shows good commitment but not too much else. For now, def concentrate on the MCAT and consider taking a few extra courses and 1 or 2 retakes of science courses you did poorly in.

Yea unless you get a 33+ on your MCAT I do not see any MD schools in your future unless they are in the caribbean. Also a masters degree is more considered as an EC as opposed to another gpa. Doing well in it shows good commitment but not too much else. For now, def concentrate on the MCAT and consider taking a few extra courses and 1 or 2 retakes of science courses you did poorly in.

Disagree with this. It depends on the school.

Get your app in on opening day. I think you have a good chance if you can show something special about yourself. Such as a streak of A's.

thanks guys! again I totally appreciate the honesty and the advice! I'm enrolled in a Princeton Review MCAT course now, so hopefully that helps me bump up my score to where it needs to be! I'm also going to try and and do some physician shadowing this semester and hopefully get a great LOR from them! Maybe even look into a certificate/postbac MMS program instead of the NIH postbac. Every little bit helps I guess haha! :)

Hey everyone, some updated stats, undergrad gpa (still a 3.2) Grad gap (3.58), expected score on MCAT around 35 (Taking it later this month), wondering if you could give me an idea about my chances!

Scoring that highly on the MCAT would finally make you competitive any many MD programs. I'd skip the Ivies and Stanford, but you'll get some love. Good luck!

Hey everyone, some updated stats, undergrad gpa (still a 3.2) Grad gap (3.58), expected score on MCAT around 35 (Taking it later this month), wondering if you could give me an idea about my chances!