MD Chances despite community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat_race13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2015 with a bachelor's in Community Health (health education & health admin concentrations). I then got a job as an ED medical scribe, fell in love with medicine, and decided to pursue medical school. My degree is a B.S. but I still required orgo, physics, and some bio courses. I graduated with a 4.o in undergrad. Now I am taking my prereqs at a community college, as I am financially independent. I am currently in my second semester of orgo (got a B in the first), I have taken one semester of anatomy and phys and one semester of human bio, and am planning on taking my one year of physics next. I am also planning on taking the MCAT next spring and applying afterwards.

I guess I'm just worried that taking these course at a community college and not pursuing a post bac will hurt my chances of getting in. I am, however, currently the Chief Scribe in the ED and am being looked at for further promotion in the company, so I hope this will help my case. I work full time while taking my courses. In addition, I did some health education ECs in undergrad, but didn't hold any leadership positions. I did a healthy policy related research project for one year with a professor, but did not have anything published. I am currently volunteering with an after school program that mentors young girls while incorporating physical activity. Also, (and I'm not sure if I should put this on my app) I have been training for and running in marathons for the last four years during undergrad and currently.

What are my chances of being admitted to MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All depends on your MCAT... especially if you have a 4.0 in undergrad and you're doing prereqs at a CC. If you score high on the MCAT then it will validate your GPA. Some people with a 4.0 can't even break a ~508 (80th percentile) which would be a red flag and make it seem like you took less rigorous classes.