MD degree after DDS/DMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody other than OMFS ppl gone on to get an MD after dental school? I wonder if it can be done in 2 years somewhere. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Both to some extent... You wouldn't be confined to basically the head and neck but you could diagnose and treat systemic diseases like heart conditions and metabolic syndrome and diabetes and endocrine disorders or autoimmune conditions that might have symptoms you observe in the mouth. I'm tired of being taught that I can't do this or that cause it's out of my scope as a dentist (which I understand as being the case - not arguing that).

I would probably never do it, but was just curious if it's been done.

Btw Gavin, cute kids! They're getting older I see :)))

Members don't see this ad :)
The kids are getting older and I have a 3rd one now (she's 7 months old).

Remember that you can't practice medicine after graduating from med school. You need to complete a residency as well.

Your view on medicine is appreciated, but it's quite simplistic. An internist or FP often doesn't confirm diagnosis of all those items you mentioned, so it would be unrealistic for a dentist (with the hypothetical MD) to do so. They often make the initial diagnosis but don't provide comprehensive treatment. A generalist often sends the patient to an endocrinologist, cardiologist, etc. for confirmation and management of those conditions.

Further, nobody will go to a dentist for treatment of those conditions, regardless of your degrees, unless you are solely practicing medicine. Your idea is a fun one to toy with for some, but in reality results in a dentist that practices crappy dentistry and half-baked medicine. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

A jack of all trades is a master of none.

:) point well made.

and congrats on the gavin jr's. does your wife stay home with them?

You can be a 'pioneer' and do this program. Apparently it will redefine the practice of dentistry.

http://dental.case.edu/dmdmd/

That is actually very cool... it's funny you brought it up cause I met one of the senior faculty members of the program and he jokingly invited me to do it. Unfortunately, I don't think it's designed for someone who will already have completed dental school. But you're right, it is something I would have liked to have done...

Has anybody other than OMFS ppl gone on to get an MD after dental school? I wonder if it can be done in 2 years somewhere. Thoughts?

Hello,

A few years ago some dentists went to Antigua (foreign med school) to get the MD degree by enrolling in the "accelerated path way" program where one can get the MD in less than two years. Couple years back, a dentist got in some hot water with the medical board when he used the MD designation from Antigua in his practice but not licensed to practice medicine. With off shore medical schools abound where your pocket book is the the admission ticket (with few exceptions), make sure your MD is a licensed one in the States or you will end up wasting your money away or getting into lots of legal problems. That means you must pass the examinations and do residency in the States. Nowadays, almost anyone with average college stats can get the MD but getting licensed (to RIGHTFULLY display the MD) is another story. BTW, due the bad publicity in the States from the "accelerated pathways" at Antigua, the program was discontinued. For those who completed this program but made no efforts to pass the examinations and residency, they really missed the boat. Once you pass all the exams and completed your residency, that MD is yours regardless of how little time it took to get. DP

There aren't many backdoors in life. What would be the point of the MD? Would you practice medicine or dentistry?

I don't think it is a matter of practicing dentistry or medicine but the MD designation is more of a "public marketing" for higher qualification than a DDS/DMD. Plus I think there is also an issue of "self doubt worthlessness". This is not directed to the OP but I have seen this practice among dentists. DP

The biggest difference between an DDS and an MD is a that DDS makes an extra $100,000 a year.

The biggest difference between an DDS and an MD

Actually the biggest difference is that with a DDS you become a dentist and an MD you become a real doctor

Actually the biggest difference is that with a DDS you become a dentist and an MD you become a real doctor

As opposed to what? A fake doctor...as in I play one on TV? As much as I agree with the "dentist" classification instead of "doctor", I think physician is more appropriate than "real doctor". What is the point of this reference anyway? To reduce the validity of other professions requiring a doctorate degree? Hmmm, a little egocentric are we?