MD/DO or DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk1137

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what my chances are of getting excepted, and which route should I take. I started college as a Pre-Med student, didn't go to class and bombed everything (including BIO&CHEM). I gave up and decided to do Health Care Management, after taking some classes I decided I ultimately wouldn't be happy doing that. So now I have switched back to Biology/Pre-Med. Due to the first year of college my GPA isn't the most competitive currently 3.12 overall, 2.75 s. Since deciding to try the medical route again I am going to have to cram in my science classes to finish in time for the mcat/dat next spring/summer. I figure if I make straight A's in the rest of my classes (best case scenario but unlikely) I will end up with a 3.41 GPA, and a 3.54 BCPM GPA. I have always wanted to be a physician and I think I would enjoy it the most, however I'm not sure about their work/life balance which has had me looking into dentistry. With all this being said I am also married and my husband is an active-duty marine so I'm very limited with where I can apply to schools. I am also concerned about which career will translate best to our lifestyle (possibly moving frequently, etc.). I have been stressing so much about this lately, so any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of advice you're asking for, but you've definitely have a good shoot at DO if you can turn your grades around and score decent on your MCAT.

Get some clinical experience in both the medical field and dentistry. See which if either you enjoy. You need to see what each field is like before you commit to trying to get into either as you have an uphill battle.

DMD is no easier to achieve than an MD/DO. It is also highly competitive so you really have to get that grade up.
Applying DO they don't take math into consideration so you can't calculate that into your science GPA. For DO you can retake the classes you got a C or less in because they do grade replacement.
But moving around a lot it would be hard to be a physician unless you went military and went base to base with him.