MD/DO school ratings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

baylorbear333

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone give me a place to look at all the different schools, their ratings, etc? Is there a place like that for comparison?
Or,
If you had to rank the top 10-20 schools, what would you say, and why?
 
US news ranks mschools, they have "research rankings" and "primary care rankings". However most people will tell that rankings don't really matter and you should not base your school selection based solely on them. Also keep in mind that every "top" school is very competitive and usually expensive.
 
Allopathic medical schools are ranked by US World News and Reports. You can access some of the rankings online for free.

Osteopathic medical schools, being there is ~28 schools, do not have a formal ranking system. However, a consensus, from what I've gathered on SDN atleast, is that the older institutions are "ranked" higher than the younger institutions.

However, regardless of what rank a school has, remember that ranking should not play a huge factor in your decision to attend a school. There are a smorgasbord of other factors that outweigh rank such as cost, location, curriculum, technology, overall feel, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
US news ranks mschools, they have "research rankings" and "primary care rankings". However most people will tell that rankings don't really matter and you should not base your school selection based solely on them. Also keep in mind that every "top" school is very competitive and usually expensive.

Some schools don't have scores so they aren't even ranked.

That site is only useful for comparing tuition rates.

There are other rankings; however, all med schools are selective (Remember, you're dealing with students with 3.5 GPA+ MCAT 30+)

Getting in to any allopathic school is quite the accomplishment.
 
Some schools don't have scores so they aren't even ranked.

That site is only useful for comparing tuition rates.

There are other rankings; however, all med schools are selective (Remember, you're dealing with students with 3.5 GPA+ MCAT 30+)

Getting in to any allopathic school is quite the accomplishment.

Please do find a place that ranks all schools? US news is the ranking system and yes all schools are not ranked. I also know that all schools are selective, what I tried to say was that "top schools" are very selective.
 
I realized that the US News rankings are mostly useless for choosing schools to apply to after my interviews, when I realized that I'd probably feel happier at some of the "lower-ranked" schools rather than some of the "higher-ranked" schools I visited. As of now, my top choice is ranked somewhere in the middle of all the schools I've yet to hear back from post-interview...
 
I realized that the US News rankings are mostly useless for choosing schools to apply to after my interviews, when I realized that I'd probably feel happier at some of the "lower-ranked" schools rather than some of the "higher-ranked" schools I visited. As of now, my top choice is ranked somewhere in the middle of all the schools I've yet to hear back from post-interview...
I agree that the rankings are pointless, and I can't believe that anyone would go to/apply to schools based on ranking.
 
Please do find a place that ranks all schools? US news is the ranking system and yes all schools are not ranked. I also know that all schools are selective, what I tried to say was that "top schools" are very selective.
http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

One could always list the most selective schools in order since there is some connection between rankings and school selectiveness (based on MCAT and GPA)

Also, the second part of my post was directed to the OP. I feel as though the OP just wants to know top ranked only because he or she thinks other medical schools don't compare. Important factors like location and financial aid are dependent on the individual student. Some schools have great specialty programs that you might be interested in. Sometimes, you just have to do away with ratings and just research it for yourself.
 
I agree that the rankings are pointless, and I can't believe that anyone would go to/apply to schools based on ranking.

To be fair, though, most people applying to medical schools don't have very many other ways to choose what schools they apply to. The only information we really have are location and rankings, and we don't know anything about most schools we apply to since few of us visit most med schools before we interview.
 
Haha. Oh, I must learn to phrase my questions correctly in order to avoid big debates about higher ranked schools.

SO...what I really was just looking for was a place that you can compare the schools: tuition, research, financial aid, gpa/mcat scores, etc. I just need some information, because I'm working on making the biggest decision of my life!!!

You know, like the princeton review does for colleges? Ranked based on things other than "This is the best school ever and you should just go here because we ranked it #1."

Anything like that out there? A princeton review sort of "ranking" for med schools?
 
Haha. Oh, I must learn to phrase my questions correctly in order to avoid big debates about higher ranked schools.

SO...what I really was just looking for was a place that you can compare the schools: tuition, research, financial aid, gpa/mcat scores, etc. I just need some information, because I'm working on making the biggest decision of my life!!!

You know, like the princeton review does for colleges? Ranked based on things other than "This is the best school ever and you should just go here because we ranked it #1."

Anything like that out there? A princeton review sort of "ranking" for med schools?

You might find the MSAR helpful. Google it 👍
 
Haha. Oh, I must learn to phrase my questions correctly in order to avoid big debates about higher ranked schools.

SO...what I really was just looking for was a place that you can compare the schools: tuition, research, financial aid, gpa/mcat scores, etc. I just need some information, because I'm working on making the biggest decision of my life!!!

You know, like the princeton review does for colleges? Ranked based on things other than "This is the best school ever and you should just go here because we ranked it #1."

Anything like that out there? A princeton review sort of "ranking" for med schools?

Applicants and matriculants to each school by IS, OSS

Private schools tuition
Public schools tuition