1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

MD in DO programs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Sheerstress, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Sheerstress

Sheerstress Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a feeling this has been discussed, but I cannot seem to find any relevant threads using the search function.

I thought that allopathic (MD) graduates could not do osteopathic residency programs. Yet a nearby hospital, I do know of one MD who just joined their osteopathic family medicine program. His wife is already an anesthesiologist with the hospital, and I believe they went to medical school in Nigeria.

So what exactly are the rules now? Can allopaths now freely enter osteopathic programs? Or transfer between the two?

Sorry if I'm repeating any previous discussions.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any chance that the program is dually AOA and ACGME accredited? I can't think of another way US or FMG MDs can enter an osteo residency.

4. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've not heard of this being done before. It has been (and to some extent is being) considered by the AOA, but all discussion I've seen by AOA & Osteo educational folks has included the fact that we don't currently allow MDs in Osteo residencies.

Bottom line: I don't know what the deal is with the situation you list.

5. Sheerstress

10+ Year Member

I can't say for sure, but up till now, all of the residents have been exclusively DO, with some doing osteopathic intern years and others doing categorical FP. It is definitely part of the Michigan State COM system.

Thanks for your responses - I'll do some further checking and try to find out what's going on.

6. realmdo

realmdo Member
    5+ Year Member

If what you said is true, I am pretty sure it's a dually accredited program. I am currently rotating in a hospital with several DO programs. I saw one MD resident in Peds program and asked the same question. The PD told me their Peds program is dually accredited. the purpose of this is to make sure that DO graduates are eligible to pursue the ACGME fellowships. Since it's AOA sponsored program, they prefer to fill the slots with DOs. They only take MDs when there are not enough DO applicants. Hope it helps to your question.

7. Sheerstress

10+ Year Member

A little update.

It turns out that the physician came to the US back in the mid 90s, passed his USMLEs, but couldn't find a spot in the specialty he had done in his home country.

He basically stayed out of medicine for several years doing another ocupation, then decided he wanted to return, only to find out that he couldn't get any kind of a position anywhere because of his long absence.

The program he is in now is NOT dually accredited. He managed to get his present position as an "experiment" to see if it can serve as a stepping stone to get back to an allpathic program of some kind. Either way, he probably won't be in his present position for more than a year.

8. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think this is right.... We shouldn't be used as a "stepping stone" to anything - even though I believe in second chances, I still can't stand behind this decision.

My question: COMLEX steps 1 and 2 are REQUIRED for matriculation into an osteopathic residency - did this person take and pass both of these, as well as the COMLEX PE? If not, why is he/she there?

jd