MD/MBA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desout777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm interested in doing an MD/MBA, but the med school that I am most likely going to does not have a business school.... Does anyone know if there are B-schools that will allow me to do an MBA in 1 year rather than 2 (so I could do it between MS2 and MS3)?

Depends on what you want to do after med school. If you want to practice at all, don't bother with an MBA until you need it. If you decide you want to go into industry or whatever, do a 1-year executive MBA program at a top tier business school later in life when you'll be more likely to use it and benefit from the networking. Many top-tier B-schools offer executive MBA programs, but the idea is that they cater to experienced executives (like old guys with a lot of industry experience already). Doing an MBA program during med school basically screws you over when it comes to residency matching.

Then again, if you don't want to practice and want to go straight into the business world, then you'll want to get into a five year program at a top tier business & med school (i.e., UPenn/Wharton, Hahvahd/Hahvahd, Feinberg/Kellogg, Dartmouth/Tuck, Stanford/Stanford?). Or, skip out on med-school altogether (for the business savvy, the NPV of med-school is way less than skipping out and going straight into B-school).

Even top-tier MBAs are a dime a dozen, so anything less is not worth your time.

-P23