MD, MLP...lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quaestor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising sophomore and still very naive, so I can understand if I seem irrational or if it's way too early to have substantial feedback.

I've yet to shadow healthcare providers. I just started shadowing an optometrist and I've already shadowed a pharmacist (probably should do more, but not feeling it), but not yet an MD or PA, though I plan to within this coming school year. In my current case, I guess I don't have enough insight about these careers.

What I do know is that medical school seems very daunting. It's not the rigor I'm worried about; it's the duration. It's the 10+ additional years of education after college with piling debt and a not-so-guaranteed choice of residency that doesn't pay you enough for 80-hour work weeks. It's the waiting what seems like an eternity to have any gratification for pouring in hard work, all the while sacrificing my health, social, and possibly family life. Granted, this is all based on what I've heard and read about the profession, but if all this is true, then I'm not sure the income is worth it.

Now that I think about it, I don't care if I'm not called, "Doctor" or if I'm not the one having the final say. I genuinely like interacting with and caring for people, medically-related science, and alleviating what seems to be someone's darkest hour, but I want to keep my sanity and life in the process!

Again, I haven't shadowed yet. Once I do, maybe I can change my mind and decide that, despite all that, it'll be worth it and I can feel the intrinsic gratification that makes the MD profession worthwhile. But as of this moment, it seems too masochistic.

Hence, the mid-level consideration (PA or NP) or optometry. I can still get the autonomy, the power to prescribe, and the ability to diagnose, but keep my social and personal lives. The only downsides I see to mid-level or optometry are that they have more prerequisites than medical school, and I might have to take a summer class or two to get those fulfilled, and that I hear optometrists are saturated where I live (Houston). And NP sounds very iffy because I don't have RN experience, which is problematic because my current school has a sort-of accelerated BSN/MSN program for non-RN students to be eligible for NP right after college, and I heard NP's without RN experience aren't very employable.

I'm just at a temporary crisis. Am I just stressing out over nothing? I just need advice as to what I should be thinking about right now and possibly what career path I should start focusing on. I don't want to waste time in college, unable to envision a clear path, because I need to know what I must do so I can get this stuff done and decided in the next 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say, do dome shadowing and talk to physicians to get a deeper perspective. It sounds like you could be happy being an NP or optometrist. For NP, you can go to nursing school, work a few years, then become an NP.... For Optometrist, idk.

"For NP, you can go to nursing school, work a few years, then become an NP"

Only problem is I might forget everything I learned..

Members don't see this ad :)
Become an RN or maybe a PA

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to go in a somewhat different direction and just tell OP to stop stressing about everything. Many people don't know what they are doing by their 2nd year of college, and it is not written anywhere that you need to continue in school without any sort of break to actually find out what it is you enjoy. I think it is laudable that you're thinking that far in advance, but there's a line between thinking about the future and stressing about the future.
Take the classes you enjoy, find what is meaningful to you. If you decide your senior year that you want to pursue MD, you can still take classes in a post-bacc. In my humble opinion, the only way to "waste time in college" is to look beyond it.

MLP? what do MDs have to do with my little pony?

There is a lot of overlap in requirements for optometry, PA and MD/DO prereqs. Why not focus on taking those classes while preparing to all with volunteering and clinical experience.
"For NP, you can go to nursing school, work a few years, then become an NP"

Only problem is I might forget everything I learned..
If you are working as a nurse I doubt you would forget all that you learned. Or just go PA.

^I heard that being an NP and being an RN are two different beasts.

@ahstern I guess I am stressing (even my mom agrees); I just figured the sooner I know, the sooner I know what classes to take down the road -- I'd rather do only 1 semester of organic chemistry (PA) than 2 (MD), and if I take the nursing route, I wouldn't even have to take Organic, Biochem, or even General bio. Why take harder classes at the risk of lowering my GPA when I could be focusing on my major, apps, EC's, volunteering, etc?

^I heard that being an NP and being an RN are two different beasts.

@ahstern I guess I am stressing (even my mom agrees); I just figured the sooner I know, the sooner I know what classes to take down the road -- I'd rather do only 1 semester of organic chemistry (PA) than 2 (MD), and if I take the nursing route, I wouldn't even have to take Organic, Biochem, or even General bio. Why take harder classes at the risk of lowering my GPA when I could be focusing on my major, apps, EC's, volunteering, etc?

The worst case scenario if you don't take all the pre-med classes now (and later decide you want to pursue an MD) is that you take them at some post-bacc/CC and you start medical school 1-3 years after you graduate college. As a 25 year old incoming MS-1, I can tell you that having 3 years off helped me really confirm that I want to become a physician.
The worst case scenario is you take all the pre-med classes now, do decently but not fantastically (lets give you a 3.4, a B+ average) and then decide to pursue either a PA or NP degree. USWorld News says that Duke is the best PA program. Their range is 3.3-3.7, so you're ok on that front.
The best (private) NP program according to those guys is Columbia University, where they "prefer applicants to have scored in the top 50th percentile on each of the three sections" (when referencing the GRE). The MCAT equivalent is approximately a 24 (8/8/8).
Basically, don't worry about it. If you are dedicated and studious enough to gain entry to a US MD/DO program and choose not to do it for other reasons, you won't have a problem with being underqualified for mid-level practice.
If I were you, and there was more than a 50% chance I'd want to become a physician, I would take the classes. Or maybe all except orgo and take that during a year off.

Nobody is pressuring you into making this decision except you.
Nobody will judge you if you change your mind 2, 5, 10, or 20 years down the line.
Just take some deep breaths and be excited for the adventure that is your life.

I wouldn't worry so much about the classes as EC's, do your EC's like you would be applying to med school, managing a lot of different responsibilities and commitments will help you even if you don't decide to purse a MD, or even health related pathway.

See what it's like and then make your decision. One thing I noticed is that the doctors tended to protect me from the boring parts of their job, especially charting. You need to know that it's not just saving lives but filling in all the blanks for insurance companies and possibly lawyers. You still have time so enjoy college. I didn't decide to go to medical school until junior year so you should do all the typical things like volunteering at a nursing home or afterschool program which might help you gain insight into what you think could fit for you