MD/MPH or MD/PhD chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtanch2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking I want to do more than an MD for a while now, but not sure how much more competitive they are as compared to straight MD programs.

A few stats:

GPA: 3.85 ish
MCAT: Not taken yet
Research: By the time of my applications, I will have four years undergrad research in a molec. bio. lab on C. elegans.
Volunteering: Spending six months in a central american country volunteering as a paramedic. And I'm certified as an EMT in the states and plan on working when I return home.

Some random things: started a pre-med mentoring program at my school, deans list every semester, got an award to send me down here to central america.

So, anyways, is there anything more I can do besides rock the MCAT to help me with either path the MD PhD or the MD MPH? I'm still not sure which I want to choose yet! And I don't really know how generally more competitive either of them is over a straight MD program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's my impression that MD/MPH programs are no more competitive than MD only, but that MD/MPH are much more competitive. You already have a strong GPA. Your MCAT score will determine which of the paths are open to you.

At least you have plenty of research experience. That is a requirement for MD/PhD, along with a supportive letter from your PI.

I hope you have clinical experience in the US also. US med schools want to see US-based clinical environment experience and US physician shadowing. Community service is also essential. You won't be expected to have as much if you plan to be a physician scientist, but there is still an expectation of some.

Leadership (premed program) and teaching are other activities meaningful in the med school application process.

I'd say that MD/MPH might be easier then MD only.
MD/PHD is difficult to get into. You can break down this catagory into 2 subcat's MSTP and just school sponsored ones. School ones are like 3.8+/30+ to be competative. MSTP's are 3.8+/33+, you could argue that MSTP's are 35+ to be truely competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you! Great advice. Out of my own ignorance, what is MSTP and whats the difference?

Thanks to both of you! Great advice. Out of my own ignorance, what is MSTP and whats the difference?

Medical Scientist Training Program. < NIH funded program>, its just more prestigious and completely free and well being a NIH program is overall better.
Regular MD/PHD's are usually free, no big difference but there not NIH and not as prestigious.

MD/PHD is difficult to get into. You can break down this catagory into 2 subcat's MSTP and just school sponsored ones. School ones are like 3.8+/30+ to be competative. MSTP's are 3.8+/33+, you could argue that MSTP's are 35+ to be truely competitive.

Completely incorrect.....

You have to be admitted first into an MD program to even be considered for the MPH program. The MD/MPH programs focus a lot on your extracurriculars and community service (far more than MD only), because that is the importance placed in these programs. For MD/MPH you need to have the numbers AND the extracurriculars.....

MD/PhD programs are much more competitive than MD only programs... I don't know much about MD/MPH programs, but for MD/PhD your GPA and research time is definitely in the competitive range. Do you have any publications, presentations, abstracts, etc? After 4 years in one lab they might want to see at least 1 pub. To me, your ECs look decently strong, though it might be wise to get some experience in the states as a previous poster said.

What type of schools are you hoping to get into? If you get at least a 34 on your MCAT I imagine you could get into an MD/PhD program in the 20-30 range (Case, UNC, etc.), though generally 36+ is preferred at top programs. A lot of it depends on the quality of your research, your letters of recommendation from your PIs, and how well you can discuss your research in essays/interviews. Check out the Physician Scientist forum for more info on MD/PhD.

I mean, I'm living in Boston and want to go to school around here, so I'll probably apply to all of the Northeast and New York. Probably as far down as Maryland.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm living in Boston and want to go to school around here, so I'll probably apply to all of the Northeast and New York. Probably as far down as Maryland. Looking to attend private schools, and not public ones. What kind of schools would you expect me to get into if I get for example... a 34 if I were just applying to MD?

Also, I am expecting a publication and I am really involved with the research. I work at the same level as a PhD candidate in my lab with my own project.

Honestly I'm not the best person to answer MD-only admission questions, but I think you'd have a very good shot at a school like NYU. I'd give you a decent shot at Columbia/Cornell/Pitt, but Harvard/Yale/Penn/Hopkins would all be reach schools I think. By no means am I trying to discourage you from applying to these places, I'm just giving my opinion. I think a 34 would put you in the 10-20 school range.

Oh wow you mean they're just like CA school MD admissions!

Completely incorrect.....

You have to be admitted first into an MD program to even be considered for the MPH program. The MD/MPH programs focus a lot on your extracurriculars and community service (far more than MD only), because that is the importance placed in these programs. For MD/MPH you need to have the numbers AND the extracurriculars.....

MD/MPHer here. I can't think of an instance where MD/MPH would be easier than MD only as for most programs I am aware of the admissions process are separate from each other and you cannot be considered for the MPH until you receive an MD acceptance. They do look at your application again which requires fresh essays to make sure you have a true interest in the program, and it is competitive but not anything compared to med school competitiveness.