1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MD/MPH then MBA.....how will that happen?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BushBaby, Aug 28, 2002.

1. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A friend of mine is currently pursuing the MD/MPH degree but she also wants to get her MBA afterwards.

How can she do this after graduating with her MD/MPH? Won't her residency get in the way?

Is there a way to postpone your residency and if so, how long can it be postponed for?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

he/she must have a lot of time on their hands...

4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if this person is getting their mph in health policy and management, the MBA might be redundant.

5. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe she wants her MPH in either infectious diseases or epi. She wants the MBA for the bizness aspect.

MD/MBA is a 5yr program and there is a one year MPH program at hopkins. So it's just 6 years.

I asked her about residency because won't that interupt her mba plans? I am not sure she want to be a clinical physician anyway. I think she just wants the MD/MPH/MBA degree and biz-ounce to a big time position.

6. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

Im doing the 2 year MPH program at GW and then on to med school (hopefully:). Regardless, the Dept. of Opthalmology at GW offers a combined residency in optho/MBA. Its pretty intense from what i hear but if you have any experience in optho before you start residency, its definetly doable.

DOCTORSAIB

7. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

what exactly is an MPH.? Im assuming Masters in Public Health, but what is the benefit?

8. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I haven't done any extensive research on MPH degrees but I think it has it's advantages, it all depends on what you want to make of it. You specialize (with the mph) in areas such as clinical research, community medicine, epidemiology, occupational medicine, preventive medicine, public health administration and public health policy.

9. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

10. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

yeah good thing im not a business major anymore. :laugh:

11. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Our division chief completed an executive MBA after practicing medicine for many years. It was really helpful to have that perspective when we were considering clinic expansion and funding satellite clinics. Of course, he did it after his residency and subspecialty fellowship. I have no idea how any one would have the time or energy to do it right after med school.

12. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I cant believe some of the comments on this website. Since when did a business degree become "worthless?" I guess the thousands of students around the country pursuing MBA's are completely wasting their time and money. Dual degrees (MD/MPH or MD/MBA) are very valuable. The healthcare/business aspect of medicine has changed tremondously and will continue to do so. Being able to understand and adapt to these changes can mean the difference being successful (at various levels) and being broke. The more marketable you are, the more opporutunities that will open up for you. Sorry, had to vent...:)

DOCTORSAIB

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I get Business 2.0. But I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree. An MBA is a pretty versatile and marketable degree. At the least, if you want to do administration at hospitals, an MD/MBA is great. And when the economy turns around, I think those people with MBAs will be coming out ahead.

-RA

14. atsai3

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  15. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

anyone listen to NPR? this was actually the topic the other morning...the guy (i forgot who he was) was really talking about problems with corporate america, so it's not exactly the same, but he was basically saying that MBA's don't give you as strong a background in running companies, etc., as they used to, partially because there isn't as strong an accounting focus as there should be. i know there was al ot more to the story, but you guys can research it if you're interested.

p.s. you can take time off before residency...my cousin's wife did that between med school and her ob/gyn residency and she's at uchicago for that.