MD/MPH then MBA.....how will that happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is currently pursuing the MD/MPH degree but she also wants to get her MBA afterwards.

How can she do this after graduating with her MD/MPH? Won't her residency get in the way?

Is there a way to postpone your residency and if so, how long can it be postponed for?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

he/she must have a lot of time on their hands...

if this person is getting their mph in health policy and management, the MBA might be redundant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DW
if this person is getting their mph in health policy and management, the MBA might be redundant.

I believe she wants her MPH in either infectious diseases or epi. She wants the MBA for the bizness aspect.

MD/MBA is a 5yr program and there is a one year MPH program at hopkins. So it's just 6 years.

I asked her about residency because won't that interupt her mba plans? I am not sure she want to be a clinical physician anyway. I think she just wants the MD/MPH/MBA degree and biz-ounce to a big time position.

Hi,

Im doing the 2 year MPH program at GW and then on to med school (hopefully:). Regardless, the Dept. of Opthalmology at GW offers a combined residency in optho/MBA. Its pretty intense from what i hear but if you have any experience in optho before you start residency, its definetly doable.

DOCTORSAIB

what exactly is an MPH.? Im assuming Masters in Public Health, but what is the benefit?

Originally posted by agent
what exactly is an MPH.? Im assuming Masters in Public Health, but what is the benefit?

I haven't done any extensive research on MPH degrees but I think it has it's advantages, it all depends on what you want to make of it. You specialize (with the mph) in areas such as clinical research, community medicine, epidemiology, occupational medicine, preventive medicine, public health administration and public health policy.

Our division chief completed an executive MBA after practicing medicine for many years. It was really helpful to have that perspective when we were considering clinic expansion and funding satellite clinics. Of course, he did it after his residency and subspecialty fellowship. I have no idea how any one would have the time or energy to do it right after med school.

I cant believe some of the comments on this website. Since when did a business degree become "worthless?" I guess the thousands of students around the country pursuing MBA's are completely wasting their time and money. Dual degrees (MD/MPH or MD/MBA) are very valuable. The healthcare/business aspect of medicine has changed tremondously and will continue to do so. Being able to understand and adapt to these changes can mean the difference being successful (at various levels) and being broke. The more marketable you are, the more opporutunities that will open up for you. Sorry, had to vent...:)

DOCTORSAIB

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
a business degree is worthless.

i submit exhibit A: What's an MBA really worth?

Yeah, I get Business 2.0. But I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree. An MBA is a pretty versatile and marketable degree. At the least, if you want to do administration at hospitals, an MD/MBA is great. And when the economy turns around, I think those people with MBAs will be coming out ahead.

-RA

Originally posted by DOCTORSAIB
I cant believe some of the comments on this website. Since when did a business degree become "worthless?" I guess the thousands of students around the country pursuing MBA's are completely wasting their time and money. Dual degrees (MD/MPH or MD/MBA) are very valuable. The healthcare/business aspect of medicine has changed tremondously and will continue to do so. Being able to understand and adapt to these changes can mean the difference being successful (at various levels) and being broke. The more marketable you are, the more opporutunities that will open up for you. Sorry, had to vent...:)

DOCTORSAIB

anyone listen to NPR? this was actually the topic the other morning...the guy (i forgot who he was) was really talking about problems with corporate america, so it's not exactly the same, but he was basically saying that MBA's don't give you as strong a background in running companies, etc., as they used to, partially because there isn't as strong an accounting focus as there should be. i know there was al ot more to the story, but you guys can research it if you're interested.

p.s. you can take time off before residency...my cousin's wife did that between med school and her ob/gyn residency and she's at uchicago for that.