MD/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is applying to the MD/MPH program more competitive than applying to MD alone? My stats are borderline acceptance anyway and while I really do want to do the MPH program, I don't want to check off a box if I'll be held to a more rigorous standard and scrutinized even more. Anyone have any experience with this or in a similar conundrum?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, not really (perhaps at certain programs), mostly because it's almost always possible to do an MPH during medical school (in either 4 or 5 years depending on the school) even if you don't decide you want to do the MPH until after you get in. You could always see if there is the opportunity to pursue an MPH at the particular schools you are applying to that you don't have to decide upon until after matriculation. If that's the case, then you don't even really need to check the MPH box (though if you talk about public health a lot in your app or have substantial experience working with public health, it might even be a benefit).

Is applying to the MD/MPH program more competitive than applying to MD alone? My stats are borderline acceptance anyway and while I really do want to do the MPH program, I don't want to check off a box if I'll be held to a more rigorous standard and scrutinized even more. Anyone have any experience with this or in a similar conundrum?
The rate limiting step is for the MD. Only if there are more accepted MD students who also want to do the MPH would there be a limitation on the combined degree. I haven't seen this happen yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What benefit does an MPH give you with an MD in terms of finance or job prospectives?

as a general rule of thumb, apply MD only - like gyngyn said, MD is the rate limiting step. exception is MSTP/MDPhD of course. much easier to keep things simple and apply singular degree.

once you're in, you can apply to any combined degree you want and you'll almost certianly get if youve managed to not screw things up :)

UM's MD/MPH program has an average MCAT of 31, while their MD program alone has an average of 33.

What benefit does an MPH give you with an MD in terms of finance or job prospectives?

It provides applicants with an additional skill set, particularly in population based study design and data analysis skills if you do an emphasis on epidemiology. Some residency and fellowship programs require that you earn the MPH if you don't already have one. The research skills can come in handy if you are interested in academic medicine but not interested in bench research.

You'll know if you need it to do what you want to do within medicine. If you don't know why you'd need the skills you'd acquire in the MPH program, then it is better to do just the MD.

Some residency and fellowship programs require that you earn the MPH if you don't already have one.

I have never heard of this — what kinds of residencies/fellowships require an MPH? Are they specific institutions that have public health work as part of their medical missions? I'm curious what residencies and fellowships would lend themselves well to a public health focus.

Preventive Medicine residencies.
Family Planning fellowships (after OB-GYN residency)
Aerospace medicine
Global health (during peds, medicine or family practice residency or as a fellowship)
Infectious disease (after medicine residency)

Reactions: 2 users
Preventive Medicine residencies.
Family Planning fellowships (after OB-GYN residency)
Aerospace medicine
Global health (during peds, medicine or family practice residency or as a fellowship)
Infectious disease (after medicine residency)

Disaster medicine too (after emergency med).

Reactions: 1 users